Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

(indexed) Downtube shifters should make comeback

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

(indexed) Downtube shifters should make comeback

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18, 09:25 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No one said DT shifters are dangerous. That's a straw man DT likers keep repeating. There are situations where you can't shift safely if you have them--like on a really bumpy road or standing up. You can deny that, but it'd be rather silly.

Frankly, it's not at all unusual for a new technology to change people's perspectives on whether some aspect of the old technology was a problem. I took it for granted that I had to complete my shifts at the bottom of an uphill climb when I had DT shifters. Now I love being able to shift progressively as I climb on or off of the saddle.
40+ years on a multigear bike. Was used for decades in the Peloton. Such a problem you mention does not exist. Talk about a straw man argument. Just like all those grannie gears everyone is using today for roadside spin classes to make them look like they’re great climbers.

And yes, the post I quoted was suggesting DTs are dangerous. You should maybe read it.

Last edited by Allez3; 12-27-18 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 09:41 PM
deadzone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I was talking about DT shifting. I've never had or ridden electronic shifting.

And 7-speed DT vs 9-speed DT - yes there is a very big difference, I have and use both, 7-speed is good; better than anything BITD. 9-speed DT is sublime (assuming you know how to and are willing to use those "archaic" shifters). I took my best bike out yesterday to ride up the biggest hill on the west Portland side. Got reminded again just how good that shifting is. (Dura-Ace triple FD, Sedis chain, Campy 12-23 cassette, Campy Mirage derailleur.)

Ben
Okay somebody was saying that DI2 shifts faster than downtube, which I can't say for sure since I have not used them. But based on basic engineering and mechanics it is highly doubtful because they are calibrated to shift on cog at a time by a button push meaning switching 3 gears in one shot would be impossible, just like regular STI. So for switching multiple cogs at a time, the 9 speed DT system is by far the most precise and efficient I have ever used (I have "direct experience" with 8-11 speed STI bikes).
Old 12-28-18, 01:17 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by deadzone
I don't want them. But consumer basically has no choice because that is what the bike shops sell. What's your point? You've added nothing of value in your posts.
Again, for under $100, anyone that wants them can have them:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SL7900-10SP-Down-Tube-Shifter-Pair-10-Speed
https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Solvers-Downtube-Shifter-Mount-Black-318mm-Clamp-With-Shims-For-286

Okay somebody was saying that DI2 shifts faster than downtube, which I can't say for sure since I have not used them. But based on basic engineering and mechanics it is highly doubtful because they are calibrated to shift on cog at a time by a button push meaning switching 3 gears in one shot would be impossible, just like regular STI. So for switching multiple cogs at a time, the 9 speed DT system is by far the most precise and efficient I have ever used (I have "direct experience" with 8-11 speed STI bikes).
When shifting anything but from one end of the cassette to the other, how is removing our hands from where they already are sitting, moving them to the downtube, and flipping a lever exactly the amount of detents you want more efficient than pressing a button once or thrice and never once moving your hand?
Old 12-28-18, 02:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
It cracks me up when people wrack their brains to make logical arguments to debate a non-logical premise.
Old 12-28-18, 06:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Allez3

40+ years on a multigear bike. Was used for decades in the Peloton. Such a problem you mention does not exist. Talk about a straw man argument. Just like all those grannie gears everyone is using today for roadside spin classes to make them look like they’re great climbers.

And yes, the post I quoted was suggesting DTs are dangerous. You should maybe read it.
First, you're just lying about the post you were quoting. It didn't say that. The word dangerous doesn't appear in it, and it's just a list of things you can't do when you're shifting with a dt.
Second, if the things I mentioned above aren't problems, why is your statement about the peloton in the past tense? I too have over 40 years experience on multigear bikes. Is our age supposed to be impressive?
Third, I don't use "granny gears", but I don't see why you think that is a bad thing, or who you think you are to make such judgments. Did it ever occur to you that there are other reasons to ride other than proving how tough you are?

And btw, you rather obviously don't know what a straw man argument is. Suggest you actually figure that out before you try to use the phrase again.
Old 12-28-18, 08:41 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Nice. This ridiculous thread has now surpassed my previous favorite ridiculous thread in page length: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...l-what-15.html

(Except that thread, the ridiculousness was intentional.)
Old 12-28-18, 09:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ksryder
Nice. This ridiculous thread has now surpassed my previous favorite ridiculous thread in page length: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...l-what-15.html

(Except that thread, the ridiculousness was intentional.)

Great. Now we have to argue about whether presta valve caps should be kept on the downtube.
Old 12-28-18, 09:17 AM
ksryder

Great. Now we have to argue about whether presta valve caps should be kept on the downtube.
If I use presta valve caps on my carbon fiber frame with downtube shifters can I still use disc brakes if I'm running tubeless, or do I need a triple unless I'm going to incorporate weight lifting into my training regimen?
Old 12-28-18, 09:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If I use presta valve caps on my carbon fiber frame with downtube shifters can I still use disc brakes if I'm running tubeless, or do I need a triple unless I'm going to incorporate weight lifting into my training regimen?

None of this gets answered unless you use the correct lube. And wave.
Old 12-28-18, 09:59 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Wow. And that is the entirety of BF in two short posts.
We’re done here.
😁
Old 12-28-18, 11:21 AM
deadzone

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Again, for under $100, anyone that wants them can have them:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SL7900-10SP-Down-Tube-Shifter-Pair-10-Speed
https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Solvers-Downtube-Shifter-Mount-Black-318mm-Clamp-With-Shims-For-286

When shifting anything but from one end of the cassette to the other, how is removing our hands from where they already are sitting, moving them to the downtube, and flipping a lever exactly the amount of detents you want more efficient than pressing a button once or thrice and never once moving your hand?
Yes, they are not an expensive modification as I have already mentioned. I've seen them for $80 on ebay. Some jackwagon on here was complaining that it was too expensive to change to DT. Wait that was you.

Regarding speed of shifting, you are assuming that the rider with STI literally has his hands on the levers in shifting position at all times. That is not a realistic assumption. I certainly don't have my hands on the top of hoods for standard riding. I normally have to move my hand first to reach the levers, then for each cog there is a mechanical delay before shifting to the next cog, etc. With DT shifters, I can move 2,3 or 4 cogs with a single hand swipe. That is simply not possible with STI. You can argue all you want but again you don't have both systems to compare. I actively ride 9 and 10 speed both STI and down tube so I know exactly how they perform.
Old 12-28-18, 01:15 PM
jefnvk

You use lube? Falling into big oil's marketing, I see

Regarding speed of shifting, you are assuming that the rider with STI literally has his hands on the levers in shifting position at all times. That is not a realistic assumption. I certainly don't have my hands on the top of hoods for standard riding. I normally have to move my hand first to reach the levers, then for each cog there is a mechanical delay before shifting to the next cog, etc. With DT shifters, I can move 2,3 or 4 cogs with a single hand swipe. That is simply not possible with STI. You can argue all you want but again you don't have both systems to compare. I actively ride 9 and 10 speed both STI and down tube so I know exactly how they perform.
I have my hands on the hoods far more than I have them near the downtube, as I suspect most of the cycling population does. And glad to see were back to not being able to comment on anything unless you own it. Glad you have the cash and room to keep around systems that benefit you in no way.

If you have such extensive knowledge of the systems, though, you do know most STIs offer the ability to at least downshift more than one gear at a time, if not both directions (depending on the particular shifter), right? And that Shimano eshifting allows programming for all sorts of things, including dumping throught he entire range with a single press, and things that you cant do without electronics like one button sifting the front and corresponding rear shifting, right? https://www.rideshimano.com/global/e...2-with-E-Tube/

And in an case, I can still do all of with DT can with bar ends, without the significant disadvantage of having to reach between my legs to shift.
Old 12-28-18, 01:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I offer my my sincere (and it is rare I am even within hailing distance of sincere here) and heartfelt appreciation to @livedarklions and @ksryder for those two posts. That is a level of comprehension, theory synthesis, and clear expression rarely seen anywhere and surely the best I have seen on BF.

Posts #389 and #390 will forevermore appear in every lexicon of vernacular to explain the phrase "Nailed it."

Those nails went right through the hearts and deep into the soul of this site.

Every poster was pierced likewise.

Chapeau, gentlemen.
Old 12-28-18, 01:39 PM
deadzone

I have my hands on the hoods far more than I have them near the downtube, as I suspect most of the cycling population does. And glad to see were back to not being able to comment on anything unless you own it. Glad you have the cash and room to keep around systems that benefit you in no way.

If you have such extensive knowledge of the systems, though, you do know most STIs offer the ability to at least downshift more than one gear at a time, if not both directions (depending on the particular shifter), right? And that Shimano eshifting allows programming for all sorts of things, including dumping throught he entire range with a single press, and things that you cant do without electronics like one button sifting the front and corresponding rear shifting, right? https://www.rideshimano.com/global/e...2-with-E-Tube/

And in an case, I can still do all of with DT can with bar ends, without the significant disadvantage of having to reach between my legs to shift.
Yes, somebody's opinion on something they have never used is pretty useless. Regarding money, if $80 is a lot of money to you, then I feel sorry for your economic situation, perhaps you should spend more time working and less time commenting on this site.

Back to the shifting performance, no STI system allows downshifting 3 cogs in single action. Perhaps Campy ergo you could, I used that like 20years ago so can't remember so well. The key to this is that at the high pedaling cadence that would warrant multiple downshifts at once, the multiple individual clicks force a major disruption in the pedaling action. Either you have to significantly slow down your cadence or deal with a very clunky revolution. Either way it disrupts power and efficiency. With DT, you time the shift as the pedal reaches the bottom of the stroke and can instantly shift 3 or 4 cogs without minimal disruption to the pedal stroke.
Old 12-28-18, 01:42 PM
ksryder

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I offer my my sincere (and it is rare I am even within hailing distance of sincere here) and heartfelt appreciation to @livedarklions and @ksryder for those two posts. That is a level of comprehension, theory synthesis, and clear expression rarely seen anywhere and surely the best I have seen on BF.

Posts #389 and #390 will forevermore appear in every lexicon of vernacular to explain the phrase "Nailed it."

Those nails went right through the hearts and deep into the soul of this site.

Every poster was pierced likewise.

Chapeau, gentlemen.
Merci.

But we couldn't have done it without the dozens (OK, one, actually) of posters who took this ridiculous thread, pushed it right up to it's most ridiculous limits, and then said "screw it" and took a flying pole-vault over those limits into some sort of alternate dimension bizzarro-world that can only exist on BF because surely no one in the real world actually thinks this way.

Those are the true heroes.
Old 12-28-18, 02:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Merci.

But we couldn't have done it without the dozens (OK, one, actually) of posters who took this ridiculous thread, pushed it right up to it's most ridiculous limits, and then said "screw it" and took a flying pole-vault over those limits into some sort of alternate dimension bizzarro-world that can only exist on BF because surely no one in the real world actually thinks this way.

Those are the true heroes.

Kind of gives me a lump in my throat and a swelling in my chest.

I should probably get both of those looked at.
Old 12-28-18, 02:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I only use the purest fat from the hips of infant unicorns on my chains. And I buy it directly from goop.com, not "big oil".
Old 12-28-18, 02:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yes, somebody's opinion on something they have never used is pretty useless. Regarding money, if $80 is a lot of money to you, then I feel sorry for your economic situation, perhaps you should spend more time working and less time commenting on this site.

Well, that took care of my irony deficiency for the day.
Old 12-28-18, 02:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Allez3

I would love to hear more about the bold underlined comment. It appears you are saying wide range drivetrains are for the weak to look strong, but I want to hold off and know for sure before laughing.
Old 12-28-18, 03:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
So this has been explained many times over in this thread. I may have originally called a change to downtubes 'expensive' or 'not cheap' or something along those lines, so Ill go ahead and yet again clarify how that can be correct and the person still be in a financially sound position in life.

Ready?

Here we go!

$80 is not expensive for many in this hobby when its compared to buying a new bike or a new wheelset. $80 is expensive for many(that I know) who ride for fun and have no interest in tinkering.
Once again, making a switch has to be motivational based for most. This is true of most any products in life. If what someone has works and is enjoyed, the desire to change is very low for most. There will always be outliers who enjoy trying different things for the sake of trying, but that is the minority.
Its a losing game to try and convince a ton of people to go away from the shifting setup you have and instead use something different, even though their current systems work just fine. And fewer will want it when you show them the new brake levers are shaped differently from what they currently have. All for what...an experiment that they werent interested in to begin with?
Yeah...thats tough to convince people of.

Furthermore, anyone that doesnt like it will then have to switch back. Not a big deal for tinkerers, but those that cant do it on their own will need to again use a shop.

So yeah, when its $80 to try something people dont have a motivation to try, its a relatively high cost.
Old 12-28-18, 03:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So this has been explained many times over in this thread. I may have originally called a change to downtubes 'expensive' or 'not cheap' or something along those lines, so Ill go ahead and yet again clarify how that can be correct and the person still be in a financially sound position in life.

Ready?

Here we go!

$80 is not expensive for many in this hobby when its compared to buying a new bike or a new wheelset. $80 is expensive for many(that I know) who ride for fun and have no interest in tinkering.
Once again, making a switch has to be motivational based for most. This is true of most any products in life. If what someone has works and is enjoyed, the desire to change is very low for most. There will always be outliers who enjoy trying different things for the sake of trying, but that is the minority.
Its a losing game to try and convince a ton of people to go away from the shifting setup you have and instead use something different, even though their current systems work just fine. And fewer will want it when you show them the new brake levers are shaped differently from what they currently have. All for what...an experiment that they werent interested in to begin with?
Yeah...thats tough to convince people of.

Furthermore, anyone that doesnt like it will then have to switch back. Not a big deal for tinkerers, but those that cant do it on their own will need to again use a shop.

So yeah, when its $80 to try something people dont have a motivation to try, its a relatively high cost.
Or, to put it another way, $1 is expensive for a rancid pound of meat.
Old 12-28-18, 03:35 PM
jefnvk

$80 for one system, sure. Now, take every system currently produced, frames for them all, and I'm looking at an entire bike stores worth of cost and inventory just to talk in general about different systems according to your rules. Not to mention, currently owning a DT setup, why would I change up one of my preferred systems to one I know I don't just to get two more gears on teh off chance that somehow makes a difference???

Sorry for thinking that currently owning a 5 speed stem friction shift, a 7 speed downtube shift, a 7 speed trigger shift with trekking bars, a 9 speed DA and a 10 speed Microshift bar end setup, and a 10 speed Shimano flat bar trigger shift, and having owned a 7 speed STI and mechanically taking care of and having ridden my wife's 9 and 10 speed STI setups isn't enough of a knowledge base to draw from.
Old 12-28-18, 04:11 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Maybe someone could message the original poster of this thread and bring him back into the conversation now that we are over 400 responses and that person is no-where to be found.

I had typed up a story about how most of my riding over my lifetime has been on road bikes that have down tube shifters. My public computer logged me out and my paragraph about this went "poof" into thin air.

What I written about was how shifting with down tube levers for so long, this format of shifting becomes hard wired into your muscle memory. Strangely, it is when we are most fatigued that we revert back to what we know most intuitively.

So when reaching for my STI, I sometimes accidentally reach down as if to shift down tube levers that - aren't even there!
Old 12-28-18, 04:30 PM
deadzone

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I would love to hear more about the bold underlined comment. It appears you are saying wide range drivetrains are for the weak to look strong, but I want to hold off and know for sure before laughing.
Sorry I'm fairly certain this will also anger the majority of folks here but I have to agree that another fad that annoys me is the compact cranks. People have gone too far with the Lance Armstrong high cadence climbing thing. I am a semi-overweight middle aged man and climb rather large hills daily and I can't fathom needing any lower granny gears than 39-25 for everyday riding. Roadies today are being "sissified" by this trend and it is kind of sad watching these guys that look other wise healthy yet they are spinning up relatively short climbs at 120RPM in some mt bike granny gear.
Old 12-28-18, 04:36 PM
deadzone

$80 for one system, sure. Now, take every system currently produced, frames for them all, and I'm looking at an entire bike stores worth of cost and inventory just to talk in general about different systems according to your rules. Not to mention, currently owning a DT setup, why would I change up one of my preferred systems to one I know I don't just to get two more gears on teh off chance that somehow makes a difference???

Sorry for thinking that currently owning a 5 speed stem friction shift, a 7 speed downtube shift, a 7 speed trigger shift with trekking bars, a 9 speed DA and a 10 speed Microshift bar end setup, and a 10 speed Shimano flat bar trigger shift, and having owned a 7 speed STI and mechanically taking care of and having ridden my wife's 9 and 10 speed STI setups isn't enough of a knowledge base to draw from.
Clearly you don't like DT shifters, but why discourage others from trying? And seems strange that you ride several bikes with DT and ride bar-end which has some of the same advantages, yet you insist on arguing about what a bad idea they are? Hard to take you seriously.
Point is the target market for DT is and will always be tinkerers that want to try something different. Some of these posters just think DT is complete garbage, dangerous, etc which is totally BS. The 9/10 speed Shimano DT systems are outstanding and I am certain that all the folks here crapping on them here have never even tried them.

Last edited by deadzone; 12-28-18 at 05:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.