Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Is there some way to get more space between the handlebars and gut?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 05-30-18, 09:16 AM
rpavich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I'm searching for a beach cruiser for myself and my wife and we have run into a little problem. Both of us are a bit overweight and carry our weight in the front (think belly.)

We shopped beach cruisers at Wal Mart and found that the one issue we had was that the handlebars were too close to our bodies; it made turning difficult. It appeared that raising up the gooseneck and rotating the handle bars forward might help but I was wondering if there is some brand/model that would be better for our body type?

I was shopping at beachbikes.net and some looked more cramped that other but I didn't want to just guess at it and have to return bike after bike.

Are there stems that are adjustable / longer so that the handlebars move significantly forward?

I can't be the only person who's come across this issue, I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Old 05-30-18, 09:32 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Welcome to BF!

Please do not take offense to what I am saying, because I mean only good will to you. Here goes:

If you have trouble with handlebars interfering with your belly, either

1) The bike is too small for you

or

2) your gut is significantly huge.

I'm going to assume the former is the case.

Look into Worksman bikes. They are strong and made in USA.
Old 05-30-18, 01:28 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Stems (goose necks) are available in different lengths. Cruisers typically come with short ones. You could replace the stem with a longer one. There are also a zillion different cruiserish handlebars available. Some place the hands much farther forward. Nether option is expensive nor difficult. Personally, I cut all of my handlebars to achieve the exact fit that I want.

Here is just one of your many options.

Old 05-30-18, 05:13 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It's hard to tell the issue without being there.
One thing: cruisers tend to come in a one-size-fits-all, except that women's (step-through) frames tend to be smaller than men's.
You can get different lengths of stem, etc. but normally wouldn't need them for that particular reason.

A similar problem- toe overlap- your toes can hit the front wheel or fender when you turn. The catch is, this happens when you're fooling around or riding tight circles in the street, but isn't normally a problem when you're actually going anywhere because you don't normally turn the wheel that far when actually riding. So I'm wondering if the problem you describe isn't similar.

For some reason, they like to put the big curvy swept-back handlebars on cruisers, but I used a straighter bar on my Worksman, so that can be swapped out.
Old 05-30-18, 06:18 PM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One option is to look at Electra bikes. The seat is positioned a bit further back from the handlebars and also positions the pedals foot forward from the seat to give you an almost flat foot when stopped.
Old 05-31-18, 08:33 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by brdeleo49
One option is to look at Electra bikes. The seat is positioned a bit further back from the handlebars and also positions the pedals foot forward from the seat to give you an almost flat foot when stopped.
i agree. i ride this type of bike so often (actually closer to a semi or fully recumbent stretch cruiser myself), it took me a moment to make the question make sence.
Old 05-31-18, 12:33 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
guy i bought my cruiser from had a good sized gut, he had installed these bmx style bars that are higher with less sweep.
Old 05-31-18, 04:48 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
1) High Rise or Mid Rise "Ape Hangers" as used on the old 1960's 1970's Schwinn Stingrays and other like bikes.
2) Flat bar with little to no sweep and bar ends to provide different hand positions.
3) "Bullhorn" bar.
4) Remove the existing bar and re-install it with the grips pointing forward, like a Bullhorn bar.
Old 06-04-18, 01:56 AM
rpavich

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I don't know why I haven't been getting email notifications about them.

My bike comes in two days and I'll evaluate what I need to do based on these suggestions. It looks like a fixable problem. In the long run I hope to lose the gut so it won't be a problem in the future.
Old 06-04-18, 02:50 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rpavich
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I'm searching for a beach cruiser for myself and my wife and we have run into a little problem. Both of us are a bit overweight and carry our weight in the front (think belly.)

We shopped beach cruisers at Wal Mart and found that the one issue we had was that the handlebars were too close to our bodies; it made turning difficult. It appeared that raising up the gooseneck and rotating the handle bars forward might help but I was wondering if there is some brand/model that would be better for our body type?

Okay here's how I see it. People getting on beach cruisers for the first time always think the bars are too close it's the style of the bike gut or no gut. Road bikes and mountain bikes are designed with your hands even with the stem at the point where it bolts to the bars. This design is to keep you focused on the road ahead where a drainage grate or a big rock can ruin your day and also to enable the rider to make quick course changes. What results is a bent over posture splitting your weight evenly between hands, feet, and rear end which is optimal for that type of riding. Beach cruisers are designed for upright riding postures with the majority of your weight on your rear end. It feels wrong only until you adjust your mind to riding a cruiser. I see it all the time that people think that there is something wrong with the bike but there is not a problem it's theirs or yours. It takes time to make the adjustment and when it comes you can't imagine it being any other way. I might recommend a stretch frame cruiser to help combat that "too close" feeling. Walmart is the wrong place to buy a bike unless you A. Aren't going to ride it or B. Are of totally average size and weight. Here are two cruisers one stretch one standard the stretch might be the obvious solution for you what do you think? Which one looks more comfortable?

Stretch frame Greenline cruiser

Chicago Schwinn regular frame cruiser
Old 06-04-18, 04:47 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossthreaded88

Chicago Schwinn regular frame cruiser
I hope you are not riding that Schwinn like that.
Both the seat post AND the quill stem look to be set FAR short of the minimum insertion line ... by perhaps as much as 3 or 4 inches too high.

You need more than an inch or so of the seat post in the seat tube, and more than just the stem wedge in the steer tube.
Old 06-07-18, 04:42 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
I hope you are not riding that Schwinn like that.
Both the seat post AND the quill stem look to be set FAR short of the minimum insertion line ... by perhaps as much as 3 or 4 inches too high.

You need more than an inch or so of the seat post in the seat tube, and more than just the stem wedge in the steer tube.
Aware of minimums. Believe it or not the stem is set to the max out line. The seat post is also within max guidelines but in this case just a leftover from a stint in the work stand (see previous setting by light and dark) Alas I was made an offer I couldn't refuse (gross amount of $$) for my Chicago Spitfire so unfortunately your concern is moot. Replaced it with this 2003 Repro Nexus 3 and had cash leftover.

Old 06-28-18, 10:09 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Cruiser bars that sweep back are fashionable, but they have some issues. Some people rotate them upward so that they can make tight turns. You end up not even holding onto the the grips, you kind of push on the end of the grip with the palms of your hands. You could do this because all of your weight is off of your hands. When you get your bike, you might want to go to a bike shop and talk to them about different handlebars.
Old 06-29-18, 12:46 PM
Joe Hxxx

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Schwinn Swindler. I cut 3" off each of the bar ends and set them at a slight drop. It improved
the ride for me.
Old 01-21-19, 02:40 PM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rpavich
Hi,

I was shopping at beachbikes.net and some looked more cramped that other but I didn't want to just guess at it and have to return bike after bike.

Are there stems that are adjustable / longer so that the handlebars move significantly forward?

I can't be the only person who's come across this issue, I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Two ways to go here. Swapping out a stem with a longer reach & angle will position & move the handlebars forward. If you still need more distance you can always switch to a threadless stem & then use a BMX style stem. Also swapping out the seat post for a "lay back" seat post will also move you further back 1-2".

Never mind the drink/wine cup!

Old 01-21-19, 07:58 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Cruiser2112
Never mind the drink/wine cup!
THAT is a fine ride, sir!