Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-30-19, 05:35 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Is it better that "Cat 1"?

On my email I give my phone number.
My resume - I cite my High School (significant).
It absolutely has limited me in resume engines.

Nothing wrong with a Dr, Harvard degree or whatever, but what have you done for me lately wins the majority of the time.
huh. for a fifty something year old your college barely matter. Must be a hell of a high school.
Old 03-30-19, 05:49 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
huh. for a fifty something year old your college barely matter. Must be a hell of a high school.
I'm only 30 and can't imagine someone caring about my high school, nor can I imagine what it would have to say on a resume I got for me to care.
Old 03-30-19, 10:08 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
As I posted "...what have you done for me lately wins the majority of the time. "
Rift Valley Academy gets more discussion going than UC Irvine. That leads to a number of other topics.
And it was a rather educational experience.
Old 03-31-19, 04:17 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

As I posted "...what have you done for me lately wins the majority of the time. "
Rift Valley Academy gets more discussion going than UC Irvine. That leads to a number of other topics.
And it was a rather educational experience.

Strikes me as odd that you lump high school as being irrelevant for a guy in his mid-late 50s when applying for a job as 'what have you done for me lately.' Why should we hire you Mr. Gsteinb? "Well, 37 years ago I graduated from this high school, and the experience was so pivotal I'm stuck there." hmmm. I get you're talking about an experience of living abroad, but I figure it's the experience of being abroad that's relevant and interesting, and not so much the high school. Unless it's some really famous school for some reason. But for the overwhelming majority of people with actual work experience if you even mentioned high school it would probably be a demerit. If you were in your 50s you'd most certainly not get the job. All of this seems different than "what have you done for me lately" though, which is a reference to a particular syndrome of always wanting something bigger and better. That's different than being able to be relevant and on topic. To that end, putting your hobbies on a professional resume that isn't a first resume is probably in most cases a sign of immaturity. If you raced professionally sure go for it. Local cat 1? Probably shows that you're overly investing in things that aren't relevant to the work force. "Hey, do you have flex time? I need to get a two hour training ride in at lunch"....

And I get that your kid had, and you may have had outlier experiences that pushed you above the heap. And this isn't a call for folks not to think outside the box or cast their accomplishments in the best most unique light possible. But let's not commit career suicide folks.

Last edited by gsteinb; 03-31-19 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-31-19, 06:30 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Strikes me as odd that you lump high school as being irrelevant for a guy in his mid-late 50s when applying for a job as 'what have you done for me lately.' Why should we hire you Mr. Gsteinb? "Well, 37 years ago I .... And this isn't a call for folks not to think outside the box or cast their accomplishments in the best most unique light possible. But let's not commit career suicide folks.
My point made over 30 days ago was tell a story about how the company/school will be better with you. And - put a conversation hook out there. For me, the name of my HS (don't say it is a HS, just name it) does that. Naming a college education does nothing.
I'm not hired for being mature, so that is not a concern. At 50+ I could see being mature as a liability (as posting on BF).

Last edited by Doge; 03-31-19 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-01-19, 08:44 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Random interruption.

We have now extended our (work, automotive) hours to 10 pm M-F. Although it sounds horrible the team in place for the late shift (2-10) is awesome and it's fun working with them. It's like racing on a good team, everyone pulls their weight and then some, everyone does what they're good at, and we all work together for the common good.

That's not to say I haven't had more to drink in the last two years since I started there vs the last 30 years (no exaggeration) but I'm chalking it up to missing out before. And I'm probably drinking an average amount now. Still, though.

Doesn't help that an awesome microbrewery (Hooker) is a few hundred yards away and the owner is a customer. 8% beer, pint at a time.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-02-19, 09:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

My point made over 30 days ago
is that indicative that your view has changed in the past 30 days, or that the appropriateness of commenting on stuff just up thread (it's a very slow forum) has been altered? Beyond that your post makes precious little sense, but no news there.
Old 04-02-19, 01:23 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Random interruption.

We have now extended our (work, automotive) hours to 10 pm M-F. Although it sounds horrible the team in place for the late shift (2-10) is awesome and it's fun working with them. It's like racing on a good team, everyone pulls their weight and then some, everyone does what they're good at, and we all work together for the common good.

That's not to say I haven't had more to drink in the last two years since I started there vs the last 30 years (no exaggeration) but I'm chalking it up to missing out before. And I'm probably drinking an average amount now. Still, though.

Doesn't help that an awesome microbrewery (Hooker) is a few hundred yards away and the owner is a customer. 8% beer, pint at a time.

of even more interest is you're racing again. I was a bit jealous of you showing up last weekend. I won that race that year before. I was a bit sad to sit it out. Even more so since it would have been fun to be in a field with you.
Old 04-02-19, 06:58 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
of even more interest is you're racing again. I was a bit jealous of you showing up last weekend. I won that race that year before. I was a bit sad to sit it out. Even more so since it would have been fun to be in a field with you.
The M50 race was definitely a bit calmer than I expected. With the TT names there I figured 5 or 10 riders would lap the field. When it came down to the sprint it was interesting.

The field was really fun to ride in, mostly very smooth, I could ride really close comfortably.

Except for the fact that you'd have attacked the field and stuff it'd have been fun to race with you there. It is a great course for balancing tactics and sheer brute force.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-11-19, 09:25 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
So my wife is going up to a coworker's funeral outside Stockton on the 20th...and there's a bike race a few minutes away. How good of a race is Copperopolis?

There's no way she's going to let this fly; unless I come up with an elaborate plan.
Old 04-11-19, 10:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Some consider Copperopolis to be a NorCal spring classic. It’s got a little bit of everything: some climbing, some flat crosswind sections, and the worst pavement this side of a Syrian air force base.
Old 04-12-19, 08:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Some consider Copperopolis to be a NorCal spring classic. It’s got a little bit of everything: some climbing, some flat crosswind sections, and the worst pavement this side of a Syrian air force base.
I have not done Copperopolis but rode on some of the same roads during Topsport Stage Race. The pavement is terrible and racers ride in the dirt on the side of the road to smooth out the ride. Water bottles eject out of cages easily and other loose crap falls off of bikes. It would be great to have a Paris Roubaix style wheelset / tires for the roads.
Old 04-12-19, 09:11 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
When caloso says "some" climbing, he means it's a climbers race especially for multiple laps. Threshold length climb near the start of the lap, but after a couple times of that the climbers just have so much more left to give. The worst pavement is on the climb and the descent at the end of the lap. The descent hurts your hands it's so bad.
Old 04-12-19, 09:15 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

The old flyer used to say to check your bottle cages and dental work.

edit;

Hah! It still does!

Course: This is the same course as always: Milton, Rock Creek, Salt Spring Valley, Hunt, Milton Roads, counter clockwise loop. A 21 mile loop of fair to bad paving, two climbs and a fast, bumpy, twisty descent. Strong wheels, thick tires and no loose water bottle holders or dentures recommended. Tighten all your bolts (including brakes, brake hoods, seat bolts and stem bolts)! Please riders, use the facilities and stay off of private property!! No gas or phones available in Milton.
Old 04-12-19, 11:06 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I've decided to quit my job. I've been incredibly unhappy for awhile, and my performance has suffered. I'm not getting along well with either of my managers, and that strained relationship isn't helping things. I'm putting in 10 hours a day and working weekends. I'm working through my vacations - which are incredibly rare because I have too much work to do. (I have more than two years worth of vacation accrued and I haven't even been here three full years.) I'm currently doing the work of 1.5 people, and just drowning.

I've been fighting to make it work for so long, but I've reached the point that I just can't do it anymore. I've been sending out resumes and have done three initial screening interviews of the last two weeks and have three more over the next week, so I think I'll be ok. Plus, I'll get paid out for my unused vacation, so that will carry me if I have small gap in employment.

I made the decision this morning, after spending half my day off yesterday working and the other half stressing about the work I was missing, then waking up this morning to find a late email from my director asking more questions.

My wife is very happy I am doing this.
Old 04-12-19, 11:10 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Good move topflight! Let us know how things pan out with the exit and new beginning somewhere else.
Old 04-12-19, 11:13 AM
caloso

Congrats, topflight!
Old 04-12-19, 11:59 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Good luck Topflight. Sounds like the right decision.
Old 04-12-19, 02:06 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
2 years of banked vacation in 3 years of service, plus you work through the vacations you do take, is insane.
​​​
As a manager that should throw up flashing red warning lights that something is very, very wrong. I can't believe your managers haven't managed to even try to fix that in 3 years.

You're definitely doing the right thing.
Old 04-12-19, 03:10 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The old flyer used to say to check your bottle cages and dental work.

edit;

Hah! It still does!
I like the climbing part, not so much the road conditions. When you finish a race and the discussions revolve around how many times and how high you got air, it sounds like you had fun but it really wasn't.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've decided to quit my job. I've been incredibly unhappy for awhile, and my performance has suffered. I'm not getting along well with either of my managers, and that strained relationship isn't helping things. I'm putting in 10 hours a day and working weekends. I'm working through my vacations - which are incredibly rare because I have too much work to do. (I have more than two years worth of vacation accrued and I haven't even been here three full years.) I'm currently doing the work of 1.5 people, and just drowning.

I've been fighting to make it work for so long, but I've reached the point that I just can't do it anymore. I've been sending out resumes and have done three initial screening interviews of the last two weeks and have three more over the next week, so I think I'll be ok. Plus, I'll get paid out for my unused vacation, so that will carry me if I have small gap in employment.

I made the decision this morning, after spending half my day off yesterday working and the other half stressing about the work I was missing, then waking up this morning to find a late email from my director asking more questions.

My wife is very happy I am doing this.
Good luck on your next venture in life!
Old 04-12-19, 07:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Good luck, topflightpro! Today was my last day at the job, I retired without a plan but I had to get out of there. The last 2 years there have been especially tough, so I understand you wanting to move on.
Old 04-13-19, 05:09 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Thanks all. I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

And good luck you too BigJohn.
Old 04-13-19, 12:43 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
best of wishes, @topflightpro and @big john
Old 04-14-19, 03:43 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
One good thing about retiring is people buy me coffee and snacks on the club rides. Wonder how long I can milk that?
Old 04-14-19, 03:50 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
One good thing about retiring is people buy me coffee and snacks on the club rides. Wonder how long I can milk that?
Dang, I've been retired for six years and it hasn't happened to me yet! Then again, we don't stop on group rides.

Demain, on roule!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.