Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with Ridley sizing?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-25-19, 03:51 PM
jrode

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 6'2.5"-ish (think I measured 6'3" with shoes at the doctor last time) with a 35.25" inseam. I currently have a 60cm 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105 that I purchased at my local bike shop and fit pretty nicely on. However, I'm thinking about upgrading and quite fancy Ridley's. I like my Cannondale, but the Ultegra upgrade would be nice and I could use a little more comfort.

Given that, I was eyeing up a Fenix SL Ultegra.

Since there isn't a Ridley dealer anywhere near me, I was thinking about going the online route, but sizing is throwing me off a bit. Competitive Cyclist is recommending an XL frame based on my height an inseam, but an XL Fenix SL seems a bit bigger than a Cannondale, which I feel pretty good on. I've also read that Ridley makes huge bikes.

Any input here would be super helpful.
Old 06-25-19, 05:04 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
oddly enough, I bought a Fenix SL last year, it was a sweet bike. I sent it back after a couple of rides, back pain, it was too long. go by the numbers, mate. strictly by the numbers. check the measurements of your cannondale, ETT, stack, reach. then find the Fenix that best matches those numbers, not easy, as there are large gaps between sizes. I think you want your ETT to be within 5mm of your cannondale. factor in your stem length, as well, that affects your wiggle room. if you can't make up the difference with 10mm longer or shorter on the stem, I say walk away. ETT on the Ridley I bought myself was 10mm longer than the bike it replaced, but a shorter stem did not compensate, maybe they don't measure center-to-center, I don't know. Ridley claims 545mm ETT for the small frame, same as my Salsa Fargo, so I thought I was good to go. but my Fargo does not hurt my back.

after they refunded me for the Fenix, I bought an Orbea Avant, same spec as the Fenix, just as sweet to ride and better sized for me.
my wife has an XS Fenix SL, which has the same ETT spec as her first roadie, but she is using a 1cm shorter stem. she does not have a ton of miles on it yet, but she says it fits...

if you don't have it, hopefully cannondale has your geo chart in the online archives... good luck!

Last edited by kevrider; 06-25-19 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 05:10 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I bought a Fenix AL a while back because the deal was too good to pass up. It was the size M. I'm 6'1" and Ridley's sizing guidelines had me between the M and L. It wound up being too short in the ETT/reach department for me.
Old 06-25-19, 05:45 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I'm a 6'4" and I rode a Ridley Fenix XL. I went to a bike fitter and he said the frame was slightly small for me. It's a more upright endurance fame, but it was a great bike until I got t-boned by a car and it broke into a 100 pieces.
Old 06-25-19, 07:18 PM
jrode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies all. Was the Fenix SL "racy" enough for those who had it? I don't race, but I do like opening things up once in awhile and pushing it. I know that Daniel Lloyd of GCN used to ride a Ridley a few years back and said in a video he still felt it allowed him to get into that race feel.

Anyway, I couldn't find my year specs for the Supersix Evo, and am too lazy to measure right now, but I found the 2018 numbers on their website for the size 60:

ETT: 59.1 cm
Stack: 60.3 cm
Reach: 40.5 cm

Not sure what year the Fenix SL Ultegra on Competitive Cyclist is, but the numbers for it, for the XL, are:

ETT: 60 cm
Stack: 62.4
Reach: 40.3 cm

Just for sake of comparison, for the Fenix SL size L:

ETT: 58.5 cm
Stack: 59.9 cm
Reach: 39.6 cm

Numbers are hard for me to just look at and comprehend. I've always kind of just gone by feel. Itwould seem that the XL and 60 Cannondale are pretty close, outside of the stack, but that is to be expected with a less aggressive position, correct?
Old 06-26-19, 11:12 AM
kevrider

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I ride as fast as possible at all times, but also not a racer, Fenix did not hold me back at all. interesting, the Fenix has a shorter reach but longer ETT, perhaps the STA/HTA divergent than on the Cannondale, that's interesting. the ETT would concern me, but supposedly reach is the more important measurement and 2mm is nothing, so in theory you're all set. hopefully your own bike matches those numbers. caveat: I am clearly no bike fitter!
Old 06-26-19, 02:52 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by jrode
Thanks for the replies all. Was the Fenix SL "racy" enough for those who had it? I don't race, but I do like opening things up once in awhile and pushing it. I know that Daniel Lloyd of GCN used to ride a Ridley a few years back and said in a video he still felt it allowed him to get into that race feel.

Anyway, I couldn't find my year specs for the Supersix Evo, and am too lazy to measure right now, but I found the 2018 numbers on their website for the size 60:

ETT: 59.1 cm
Stack: 60.3 cm
Reach: 40.5 cm

Not sure what year the Fenix SL Ultegra on Competitive Cyclist is, but the numbers for it, for the XL, are:

ETT: 60 cm
Stack: 62.4
Reach: 40.3 cm

Just for sake of comparison, for the Fenix SL size L:

ETT: 58.5 cm
Stack: 59.9 cm
Reach: 39.6 cm

Numbers are hard for me to just look at and comprehend. I've always kind of just gone by feel. Itwould seem that the XL and 60 Cannondale are pretty close, outside of the stack, but that is to be expected with a less aggressive position, correct?
I'd go with the Fenix SL size L.

Stack is slightly smaller (4mm). This is adjustable with the seat. stem
Top tube/reach is slightly shorter and you can make that up in the stem.
The shorter reach would likely be from a higher seat angle putting the seat a little closer to the steerer. I believe the Fenix is going to be slightly more relaxed/endurance than the Helium or the Noah geometry. The Head angle could also be pulled in which would shorten up the reach as well.

I have an older (2013) Ridley Helium and it's a fun bike to ride. Ridley tends to stretch you out over the top tube. Mine is a Medium (Typically a 54 or 55 from most manufacturers) and the top tube is 55cm ETT is 56cm. I would usually ride a 54 with a 120mm stem but the Ridley has me on a 110mm stem and short reach handlebars.

The other reason to go a size smaller is that as long as you are not too scrunched up, it's easier to extend and the weight of the bike will be slightly lower.

-Sean

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 06-27-19 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-26-19, 03:45 PM
kevrider

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I agree with Sean's bottom line... if its not on the money, it is def easier to make a frame work for you if it's a hair too small, rather than too large.

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Stack is slightly smaller (4mm). This is adjustable with the seat.
disagree, strongly. seat height should be based on leg length, if you raise or lower the saddle to correct a fit, you are risking injury. a saddle that is too low, for example, risks knee tendinitis.

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
The shorter reach would likely be from a higher seat angle putting the seat a little closer to the steerer.
actually, seat tube angle does not affect reach, which looks at the relationship between the BB and headtube, as does stack. STA is reflected in the ETT.
Old 06-27-19, 07:08 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by kevrider

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech Stack is slightly smaller (4mm). This is adjustable with the seat. STEMdisagree, strongly. seat height should be based on leg length, if you raise or lower the saddle to correct a fit, you are risking injury. a saddle that is too low, for example, risks knee tendinitis.

Kevin - You are correct, this should have said "stem" as in stem height, not seat (I edited it in the original post). While it doesn't adjust the "true stack height" its an adjustment that gets you where you need to be.
Old 06-28-19, 11:33 AM
jrode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had completely forgotten that I had measured myself thoroughly a few years ago when I was considering purchasing a Canyon bike online before I got my Supersix Evo.

I suspect the recommendations of a Large are probably closer. Here's what I measured, if it helps any more.

Inseam: 35.25 inches
Trunk: 28.5 inches
Forearm: 14.5 inches
Arm: 25.75 inches
Thigh: 25.128 inches
Lower Leg: 23.25 inches
Sternal notch: 61 inches
Total height: 74.5 inches
Old 05-05-21, 10:28 PM
Rickg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes, Ridley sizing is "different". I'm 6'1" with a 30" inseam. Last year I bought a brand new 2013 Ridley Helium (had been a display model at a bike shop). It is a Medium and fits me well. Luckily I was able to "try it on" before buying it.
Old 05-05-21, 10:52 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by jrode
I'm 6'2.5"-ish (think I measured 6'3" with shoes at the doctor last time) with a 35.25" inseam. I currently have a 60cm 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105 that I purchased at my local bike shop and fit pretty nicely on. However, I'm thinking about upgrading and quite fancy Ridley's. I like my Cannondale, but the Ultegra upgrade would be nice and I could use a little more comfort.

Given that, I was eyeing up a Fenix SL Ultegra.

Since there isn't a Ridley dealer anywhere near me, I was thinking about going the online route, but sizing is throwing me off a bit. Competitive Cyclist is recommending an XL frame based on my height an inseam, but an XL Fenix SL seems a bit bigger than a Cannondale, which I feel pretty good on. I've also read that Ridley makes huge bikes.

Any input here would be super helpful.
My general rule of thumb with Ridley is to go one size smaller than usual. Their M is equivalent to a L on most brands, with a 560/565mm ETT.

Do you know your stack and reach numbers? That would be the best way to figure out sizing. Failing that, compare the ETT of your SuperSix to that of the Ridley.