Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flat-bar ends to simulate "riding the hoods"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 06:55 AM
exwhyzed

Bikes: 2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a flat bar road-ish or hybrid bike to put me more in an upright position. From past experience, holding the flat bar for a couple of hours leaves my knuckles hurting and stiff. I never get that when riding the hoods on my current bike.

If I switch back to a flat bar, are there any bar ends available that simulate the "riding the hoods" position?
Old 07-08-19, 08:16 AM
kdeleon

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm interested in hearing what other have to say as I would also like to install them on my new hybrid. I have looked online but don't have personal on either. These are the two main solutions:
Traditional bar ends are offered by Ergon, but I worry at the ends of a flat bar the position would be too wide.
Then I saw someone mention these and I'm really considering them, SQlab 411 Bicycle Innerbarends.

Sorry, I can't post links yet.
Old 07-08-19, 09:57 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
check out the Velo Orange crazy bars, it's a swept back flat bar with bull extensions similar to where road hoods would be
Old 07-08-19, 10:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I like the Ergon integrated grip bar- ends , but yes unless you cut the bars shorter ,

they will not be the width of a road bar .

I like figure 8 bend trekking bars too , but they are wider..

My ITM Freetime trekking bars are relatively narrow @ 20" (tube centers..)

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-08-19 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-08-19, 10:19 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I've got some Ergon 2 grips that give me an alternate hand position. But I've never been successful in emulating the feel of "on the hoods" on a flat bar bike if that flat bar bike fits correctly. A road bike will have longer reach to the hoods. To get that same longer reach on a flat bar bike you would need extensions sticking at minimum six or seven inches out in front, and even then it probably would be a little closer than desirable.

Measure from the middle of your seat to the hand resting position on your road bike's hoods. Now check from the middle of the seat on your flat bar bike and see how far forward you would need the extensions to be to give similar reach.

Ergon grips would still put the vertical extensions too far outboard to emulate the feel of hoods too. But I've seen people post images of stubby extensions that go inboard of the grips. Those would get you closer to the correct width, but unless they extend forward a few inches you would still not have adequate reach.

Saddle to bar drop is another factor that may be hard to accomplish depending on your frame's geometry. But to me what is more critical is the amount of reach. As long as your reach is too short, you'll feel like you are leaning down onto the grips. To feel like you're just resting your hands in the drops you have to be reaching forward more.
Old 07-08-19, 10:28 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Just mount the bar ends inboard of grips. With the right shape of bar ends you could emulate the hoods postion rather closely, however it might prove difficult to find bar ends that are curved to your liking. SQLab Innerbarends are ones that are designed specifically for this mounting position, but any bar ends that clamp onto the handlebar can be mounted this way.

here's the setup on my hybrid (these bar ends can be adjusted also by rotating them around their longitudinal axis):

Old 07-08-19, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have mine fairly flat, so I don't have to even grip them (until I brake or change gears..)

broad paddle grip + short bar end I open my palm flat across all of it ... on my Brompton M they're 21" to the ends..

center of grip pad is about my road bar width 42cm...
Old 07-08-19, 03:58 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Have you considered a stem with a different angle?
Old 07-08-19, 04:16 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Jones bar has many positions including an aero position. Different than drop bars.... but with similar result. Check out the videos where Jeff demonstrates the positions.

I used ergo bars etc. Befote the Jones. Overall the positions still are limited and hands too far away from shifter and brakes to be used continously.
Old 07-08-19, 04:23 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
imo the best "riding in the hoods" position, when not actually riding in the hoods, is on a set of flipped and chopped drop bars. riding on the "horns" is about as close to riding on the hoods as you're going to get really.

however, this leaves the flat part of your bars pretty narrow. no more narrow than what you're used to on regular drops, though.

picture borrowed from the internet
Old 07-08-19, 04:27 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
imo the best "riding in the hoods" position, when not actually riding in the hoods, is on a set of flipped and chopped drop bars. riding on the "horns" is about as close to riding on the hoods as you're going to get really.

however, this leaves the flat part of your bars pretty narrow. no more narrow than what you're used to on regular drops, though.

picture borrowed from the internet
What if the OP wants shifters?
Old 07-08-19, 04:29 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by exwhyzed
Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a flat bar road-ish or hybrid bike to put me more in an upright position.

From past experience, holding the flat bar for a couple of hours leaves my knuckles hurting and stiff. I never get that when riding the hoods on my current bike.
A road bike with a higher handlebar will put you in a more upright position while letting you keep your brake hoods. Endurance geometries do that. Randonneuring bikes are usually setup like that.

You might even get there on your current bike with a taller stem.
Old 07-08-19, 04:31 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i suppose it would depend on what type of shifters. you can still run road bike brifters on diy bull horns, as well as bar end indexed/friction shifters. or thumbies down on the flats if you like.
Old 07-08-19, 04:42 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
I run Ergon bar ends and cut the handlebars down as far as I can while still being able to mount the controls. Very similar to riding the 'corners' on drops.
Old 07-08-19, 07:46 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by exwhyzed
Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a flat bar road-ish or hybrid bike to put me more in an upright position. From past experience, holding the flat bar for a couple of hours leaves my knuckles hurting and stiff. I never get that when riding the hoods on my current bike.

If I switch back to a flat bar, are there any bar ends available that simulate the "riding the hoods" position?
It would be a mistake to assume that a flat bar road bike or hybrid will put you in a more upright position. Some of them have fairly racy ergos. If you aren't having issues with your current bike, why change?
Old 07-08-19, 09:30 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It would be a mistake to assume that a flat bar road bike or hybrid will put you in a more upright position. Some of them have fairly racy ergos. If you aren't having issues with your current bike, why change?
Excellent point. To get more upright it's going to need an adjustable stem or more spacers and one of those "head extenders." If ya know what I mean...name it.
Old 07-08-19, 10:36 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Just mount the bar ends inboard of grips. With the right shape of bar ends you could emulate the hoods postion rather closely, however it might prove difficult to find bar ends that are curved to your liking. SQLab Innerbarends are ones that are designed specifically for this mounting position, but any bar ends that clamp onto the handlebar can be mounted this way.

here's the setup on my hybrid (these bar ends can be adjusted also by rotating them around their longitudinal axis):

+1 to this setup. I have a similar one on my MTB (used as a gravel bike) and it works OK for me.
Old 07-08-19, 11:41 PM
WOT

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

My setup
Old 07-09-19, 02:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Try a traditional swept bar -- albatross, North Roads, etc. There's a pretty good reason why those were popular for decades. They work.

My old Univega MTB-lite has morphed from the original flat bar to lower riser bar to albatross bar. The swept bar is a keeper -- comfortable, versatile with almost as many hand positions as a drop bar. And the brakes and bar-end shifters are accessible from most of those hand positions. Leaning into the forward arc of a swept bar feels like riding the hoods on a touring type drop bar bike. Some folks prefer mustache bars with the brake levers in that position.

Flat bars are great for quick maneuvering at slow to moderate speed. But they aren't comfortable for long rides. By the time I realized I was considering bar-end grips to make a flat bar more comfortable, it was because I wasn't using the bike as it was originally intended. If I was riding 2 hours or longer at a time, 30-60 miles at a time, I was ready to try handlebars better suited to how I rode the bike.

The only problem with swept bars is they can hinder tight turns if the ends of the bars knock our knees, thighs or top tube. I rarely encounter that problem, probably because my bike has a long top tube and stem so the reach is pretty long. Swept bar ends can be trimmed if needed. But add-ons to flat bars might be better for folks who still need the maneuverability.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-09-19, 08:55 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
check out the Velo Orange crazy bars, it's a swept back flat bar with bull extensions similar to where road hoods would be
Good suggestion, but CyclingAbout's Alee found the 45 degree sweep too much so he designed a bar together with Koga

https://www.cyclingabout.com/koga-denham-bars/
Likes For autonomy:
Old 07-09-19, 01:31 PM
qclabrat

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Good suggestion, but CyclingAbout's Alee found the 45 degree sweep too much so he designed a bar together with Koga

https://www.cyclingabout.com/koga-denham-bars/
are these available in the US?
Old 07-09-19, 02:15 PM
mpls85

Bikes: Yeti SB150, Specialized Chisel, Giant Defy Advanced Pro

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Take a look at the Surly Moloko bar- similar to the setup that subgrade posted, all in a one-piece bar.

Old 07-09-19, 02:18 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Flat bars are great for quick maneuvering at slow to moderate speed. But they aren't comfortable for long rides.
Wide and flat bars are great for maneuvering at any speeds - after all, downhill riders use them.

That said, it's entirely true that they aren't well suited for going fast on road for prolonged time periods.
Old 07-09-19, 03:07 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts

This guy got flat bars cut to 44-46cm and had a welder attach extensions to bar ends to make parallel bars for his hands to have a hoods like position. He has a Rohloff twist shifter, but you could use trigger or thumb shifters and inverted brake levers.
Old 07-09-19, 05:35 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've been extremely happy with swept bars. I can ride for hours in one position with minimal discomfort. Most of my bikes are built from odd parts, but one was a flat bar road bike that I converted to swept bars, and an advantage was that I could use the same controls, grips, and cables, so the cost was manageable.