Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't get my chain clean

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can't get my chain clean

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 09:11 AM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish I could have the wax lubricants work as optimal as others here. I have a gear hub and wear down chains a lot. I hose down the chain when I can, wipe it off with a rag, oil and repeat if needed. I haven't been able to do it after every ride lately, and it shows in the long run. I don't fuzz a lot with oils, at times I use spray can oils (like TF2 Teflon), after a day or two any stuck grime comes off with easy. At the moment I generally use relatively light oils. I don't aim for an optimally clean chain all the time, it's too much upkeep and I don't have the space and easy access to hose, etc to rince off after ever ride. If you have a hose readily availave when you get home from a ride, it cam make all the difference rinsing off the chain. I don't take out a bucket of soapy water as often as I should at the moment.
Old 07-15-19, 09:19 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Hmm. I'm one of those people who are wiping their chain with a paper towel. Although I do lube the chain afterwards.

Better off wiping after the lube IMO,

just don't imagine that either way will make the chain last longer.
Old 07-15-19, 10:11 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickey2
I wish I could have the wax lubricants work as optimal as others here. I have a gear hub and wear down chains a lot. I hose down the chain when I can, wipe it off with a rag, oil and repeat if needed. I haven't been able to do it after every ride lately, and it shows in the long run. I don't fuzz a lot with oils, at times I use spray can oils (like TF2 Teflon), after a day or two any stuck grime comes off with easy. At the moment I generally use relatively light oils. I don't aim for an optimally clean chain all the time, it's too much upkeep and I don't have the space and easy access to hose, etc to rince off after ever ride. If you have a hose readily availave when you get home from a ride, it cam make all the difference rinsing off the chain. I don't take out a bucket of soapy water as often as I should at the moment.
Higher viscosity oil usually have higher film strength. I believe Morgan Blue Rolls pro is a good option for you.
Old 07-15-19, 04:39 PM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Higher viscosity oil usually have higher film strength. I believe Morgan Blue Rolls pro is a good option for you.
I shall check out your recommendation. I have noticed spray can oils tend to dry to a film over night, or sometimes a bit longer, even when applied generously and no wiping off. Weldtite TF2 spray leaves more of a film than WD-40, which is suppose to do something regarding rust protection and lubrication even if noone likes it.
Old 07-16-19, 10:50 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
You allowed to post here?
Old 07-16-19, 12:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic