Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 09:20 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66

I picked up some fresh TA Specialties pista pedals that I'm going to put on my Gitane.
Pretty, are those magic beans next to the bottom bracket?
Old 07-14-19, 01:19 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Oh, yeah, third bike... was dead tired last night and failed to post it after getting the other two typed up. Believe it is a 1976 Schwinn Varsity as the color appears to be "Chestnut", which isn't listed as a offered color for the following years, and it has a huge frame size. Frame seems to be okay, but there's a considerable amount of rust at the bottom of the front fork where the wheel attaches. This one was rather evidently sitting in the previous owner's garage for a considerable number of years. Tires and inner tubes are shot. Got to really inspect this one as it's been double whammied for salt exposure with a Ohio state origin followed up with the island bike license tag on the head tube meaning it was unquestionably exposed to salt water and salt air as well.Funny thing is this bike frame is definitely to big for me, but the guy I bought it from was maybe within a inch of my own height, so am rather curious as to how this rides, maybe it gives that crazy high view effect that one gets from riding in a truck or van?

Old 07-14-19, 01:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
They are now.
Old 07-15-19, 01:33 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Basso Fork

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I had been watching that one on ebay, and had the same questions. Poor Basso frame in heaven?
Yeah, got a good deal in the end with a few other parts throw in; it's actually in very good shape; we'll see what's underneath the paint this week.
Old 07-15-19, 06:54 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Beans! Beans! The magical fruit, the more you eat...
Old 07-15-19, 10:27 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Scwhinn Varsity

Originally Posted by game_player_s
Oh, yeah, third bike... was dead tired last night and failed to post it after getting the other two typed up. Believe it is a 1976 Schwinn Varsity as the color appears to be "Chestnut", which isn't listed as a offered color for the following years, and it has a huge frame size.
I picked up one a couple years back all original ('ceptin' tubes/tires) and no rust;1975 per the serial number. Looks identical to yours, my paint appears a bit brighter like semi-tarnished copper; but could just be age/weathering of your paint, same bar wrap. My frame is also huge; I don't ride it (62 cm, I'm 5'7"), just bought to fix and give away to a friend or sell. I did ride it without the saddle and post (only way I could) when fixing, and had a blast on it; once you get that heavy steel moving it'll keep going. I like the old Scwhinns; easy to modify, just finished a World Tourist for my friend's 60th birthday. He loves the thing and is now tooling around all over the place, and I'd been trying to get him on the road for the past 25 years; now he calls to tell me he's beating my daily mileage (retirement must be fun, I wouldn't know)!

Last edited by HPL; 07-16-19 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 10:53 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Saved this guy the other day. They don't seem like they get much love, a 1984 Trek 890.

It has mismatched cranks and some broken spokes on the back wheel . Cables are trashed as well as the chain. this is how i got it, hadnt even taken off the accessories brackets!

Old 07-15-19, 02:15 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
The Frankentrek!

FRANKENTREK rolls on!
​​​​​​​Started as $30 Goodwill purchase in 2013. "Frankentrek" has been my teacher, torturer and friend ever since. Matching my attitude of recycle, repurpose, reuse, little on the bike is bought new. Most parts and items are gleaned from ebay and craigslist.

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 07-15-19 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add comments and pic
Old 07-15-19, 06:26 PM
Gashepherd

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
"thrift" stores

Originally Posted by HPL
Don't forget Craigslist, just search "free", or go to bikes for sale and put in sorting for prices. Believe me, something usually shows up every month or so, albeit not always the right size, often something to strip parts from. Also, check out pawn shops, quite often there's a gem they just want to clear out. Unfortunately, pawn and thrift shops are frequently checking online to see what they've got and what it's selling for, often using the wrong info to base their price on. That didn't happen much 20 years ago, but now it's common practice. I know a thrift shop owner who pretty much checks all his items online, and then only sells the "good" stuff online or has it in the shop at "non-thrift" prices. I don't expect to go into a real thrift store seeing prices over $20 for pretty much anything, but nowadays there are "thrift" shops selling higher priced "antiques and collectables" right along with the junk; these places usually have much higher prices, but no necessarily better "junk". My bike shops (the used bike types, not ones selling new bikes) that I frequently visit often have something to checkout in the "junk" bin/rack, not always dirt cheap, but still usually a very good buy. I learned how to haggle a little for a bargain and also trying to act ignorant (not too hard for me) when finding the diamond in the rough. Having just scored some early 70's 3ttt stems and bars for $15, that are selling on ebay for $75-$100 or more makes it easier to spend a little more for that other missing part that is on ebay at a premium price. Another place to look is in the classified ads, used stuff, yard sale, and estate sale listings. Some killer bikes at estate sales that sellers are just trying to move. Also, local auctions, many having online bidding as well as live. I saw an Atala full Campy Nuovo Record late 60's-early 70's sell for $70; same bike on ebay selling for $300-500. Good luck hunting!
This is the direction that my local "thrift " store is heading they have this one marked at $150, with a shimano 3 speed hub. They bring them out at ridiculous prices and they sit until they hual them out to recycling, not sure what is going on with that.
Old 07-15-19, 07:05 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by game_player_s

And the next two both followed me home yesterday (Saturday) morning.
First we have the mystery pity Mixte bike, because I feel pity for it... let's see if anyone can figure out why (more than one reason really).

Did BMX ever make anything that had larger than 20" wheels with multiple speeds? Bike was very obviously yellow originally before getting a rather lousy blue spraycan paint job. It's a 5-Speed with Simplex branded shifter & derailleur. I'm doubting the BMX brand tag is original to the bike as there's no blue paint on it, haha!
Checked over the bike elsewise and can't even find a serial number. Person I bought it from said it was purchased used and they then used it to commute around on the local college campus. It's had the rear brake and gear shift cables replaced, the brake pads replaced, and the tires replaced within the last ten years... but, uh, yeah, it needs serious attention.
Yes, 24" wheels but still single speed. Schwinn Predator 24, for example. Neat bike if you can find one. Your BMX sticker was probably a fifty cent accessory stuck to the head tube.

I guess Chiorda as the brand of that mixte.
Old 07-16-19, 01:02 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Thrifty?

Originally Posted by Gashepherd
This is the direction that my local "thrift " store is heading they have this one marked at $150, with a shimano 3 speed hub. They bring them out at ridiculous prices and they sit until they hual them out to recycling, not sure what is going on with that.
At least they've got a couple. I went to work out of town one time without my ride and after having just had knee surgery (needed physical therapy); stopped in a thrift store to see if I could find something to roll on, but nothing. Found another place that had 2 cheap step-through "mtb" bikes that essentially were un-rideable, but grabbed one for $15 and rebuilt; gave it back to the thrift store when I left 2 months later (I told them I'd give back when I bought it; they thought I was a little wacked out; and I am!), so someone ended up with a decent riding bike, and I told the thrift store that it was now worth $20 when they resell it. My brother just picked up a decent Trek from a thrift shop for $30, but you need to always be checking these places. I live near a couple colleges so always a fairly decent amount to choose from, although many aren't much to write home about. That "PAN WORLD" bike looks in pretty good shape for what it is. I've also got a "repurposed" materials/goods business in town and have picked up a Royal Scot for $40; trying to get their Robin Hood for the past year and a half, but they won't budge on the price ($100), and it's getting in worse shape every day so I drop my offer $5 every 3-4 months; much longer and I'll only be offering $5 for the hunk of rust that remains. Everybody thinks it's collectible if seen on ebay for hundreds of dollars, but they neglect to see what condition these bikes are in compared to their own. That is now the biggest problem with second hand bikes being sold at businesses and on Craigslist; everyone has that "rare" bike that's "selling" (or trying to sell) for over $1000; apparently your Pinarello Dogma on ebay makes the value of my Pinarello "sport frame" worth a couple grand just because of the name nowadays; NOT!

Last edited by HPL; 07-16-19 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 09:54 AM
Gashepherd

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
At least they've got a couple. I went to work out of town one time without my ride and after having just had knee surgery (needed physical therapy); stopped in a thrift store to see if I could find something to roll on, but nothing. Found another place that had 2 cheap step-through "mtb" bikes that essentially were un-rideable, but grabbed one for $15 and rebuilt; gave it back to the thrift store when I left 2 months later (I told them I'd give back when I bought it; they thought I was a little wacked out; and I am!), so someone ended up with a decent riding bike, and I told the thrift store that it was now worth $20 when they resell it. My brother just picked up a decent Trek from a thrift shop for $30, but you need to always be checking these places. I live near a couple colleges so always a fairly decent amount to choose from, although many aren't much to write home about. That "PAN WORLD" bike looks in pretty good shape for what it is. I've also got a "repurposed" materials/goods business in town and have picked up a Royal Scot for $40; trying to get their Robin Hood for the past year and a half, but they won't budge on the price ($100), and it's getting in worse shape every day so I drop my offer $5 every 3-4 months; much longer and I'll only be offering $5 for the hunk of rust that remains. Everybody thinks it's collectible if seen on ebay for hundreds of dollars, but they neglect to see what condition these bikes are in compared to their own. That is now the biggest problem with second hand bikes being sold at businesses and on Craigslist; everyone has that "rare" bike that's "selling" (or trying to sell) for over $1000; apparently your Pinarello Dogma on ebay makes the value of my Pinarello "sport frame" worth a couple grand just because of the name nowadays; NOT!
It's actually in great shape, the crazy thing is that 2-3 years ago it would have come out at $25-$30, that is some crazy inflation
Old 07-16-19, 11:39 AM
All Terrain

Bikes: 1996 Specialized S-Works Steel, 1983 Maruishi Town and Country, 1982 Rocky Mountain Sherpa, 1984 Falcon Harrier, plus a dozen more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Probably won't make anyone envious with these finds, but I like them.

First is an old Raleigh that's been outside for a long time. Second is a Vagabond a lot like my first mtb. An easy fix. Third is a bike from 'The Bay'. Also an easy fix.

Last edited by All Terrain; 07-16-19 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For All Terrain:
Old 07-16-19, 11:53 AM
All Terrain

Bikes: 1996 Specialized S-Works Steel, 1983 Maruishi Town and Country, 1982 Rocky Mountain Sherpa, 1984 Falcon Harrier, plus a dozen more.

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

This old lugged Bigfoot is a nice score.
Old 07-17-19, 02:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
It's not much, but it's the only thing I felt comfortable removing from the scrap metal area of the county dump during today's run. I always check and there's always some poor discarded, probably-still-useful bike tossed on the pile for metal recycling. Today there were several big box BSOs, some juvie bikes, an ancient yellow Varsity that should have outlived us all, and a black Schwinn World leaning against a section of Jersey wall like it thought it had a chance of escaping. Good luck, pal, but don't bet on it. This 5 LED QR light was attached to the bars and I could remove it without tools so I took it as a mark of protest. As I was leaving two guys got out of a pickup and removed two shiny BMX bikes from the truck bed and scrapped 'em. Jeez...
Old 07-20-19, 12:39 PM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1970's something Zeus Competition. Donated to our local CO OP. Should fix up nicely.

Hi
Old 07-20-19, 12:49 PM
optimusprime8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice!
Old 07-21-19, 09:10 AM
Mr. 66

Dang coop 😎, ***gin pretty clean.
Old 07-21-19, 09:12 AM
Mr. 66

Wow auto censors! I can't type in ***gin. What in the hack!?
Old 07-21-19, 09:15 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Apparently their sensors don't use regular expressions so can't detect word boundaries. Imagine trying to search for the brand. Aren't we all supposed to be adults here?
Old 07-21-19, 08:07 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Update: 1985 Bianchi Bici II

Originally Posted by SeanBikes
Next project will be a replacement for my GF's stolen bike. Picked this up for cheap, lots of cleaning and some fresh parts and it will be running like new!

Here it is!

Had a lot more hidden work than I though there would be at first glance. Complete bottom-bracket overhaul and some major cleaning on the drivetrain components, but now it all works beautifully. The GF prefers bull horns to drop bars, so please forgive me for the departure from the original set-up. Bought some cheap bar tape on Amazon and it already started to peel apart while I was putting it on...

I'm currently awaiting the delivery of some new SRAM cork tape and avoiding the cheaper stuff from now on.

Cheers!
Old 07-21-19, 08:12 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Why did you run the brake cables out the back of the levers?
Old 07-21-19, 08:28 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Why did you run the brake cables out the back of the levers?
Honestly, I accidentally ordered some inline levers and didn't notice until they arrived, so we just went with it... They are intended to be used as additional levers for the horizontal part of the bar when running traditional drop bar levers:

The cable ends didn't fit nicely in the cut-outs at the back of the levers (since they're intended for cable housings/ferrules), so we ran them in reverse to stop them from jiggling around. Looks a little awkward, but they work fine. Probably wouldn't do it again though!

Last edited by SeanBikes; 07-21-19 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-23-19, 05:08 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Found this one destined for the scrap heap.

Changed the shoes, oiled the chain and dusted off some rust. Ready to leave unattended when I hit the local watering hole.
Likes For Vonruden:
Old 07-23-19, 08:59 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
Found this one destined for the scrap heap.

Changed the shoes, oiled the chain and dusted off some rust. Ready to leave unattended when I hit the local watering hole.
The rust on the brake levers should clean right off with a bit of ultra-fine steel wool and a bit of car polish after.

That rake on the front fork should give the bike a very comfortable ride and soak up a lot of road shock as you ride over bumps and/or expansion cracks/gaps.

It's great that such a fantastic bike destined for the ignominy of the scrap heap was rescued. Well done. I hope you enjoy the ride.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.