Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hard on Brakes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hard on Brakes

Old 06-18-07, 07:19 AM
franklen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard on Brakes

I only have a 15 minute commute each way daily, and I rarely ride for recreation otherwise, but I seem to go through brake pads quick. Is this due to the urban nature of my commute and the many stops, including on downhills? Is this because I need to buy "better" brake pads, these seem to get hard over time as well as wear down. Or do I just need to learn to adjust my brakes better, I have had a few that wore unevenly. Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-07, 07:41 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Info.

What pads are you using? How much do you weigh? What do you mean "quick" - how many miles?

- Will Rogers
Old 06-18-07, 08:09 AM
franklen

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah I guess I have no idea how long pads should last. I'm not sure how long as I've been changing them piecemeal, and as I write that I think could that be part of the problem (nah I don't think so). I am about 180 pounds, I ride about 3.5 miles daily so that comes out to about 900 or so miles a year (in all weather), plus the occassional ride around the block for fun or for errands. Just using the generic pads the LBS gives me when I ask them for them. Though this time I was directed at a new shop to some bins and I selected Serpa brand (I think) for like $5-6 bucks for a pair. I know I've changed at least a few of them last fall when I was getting ready for Winter.