Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why are female bike commuters so rare?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 08:00 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Maybe they're not, but I rarely see one. Is it a man-thing? Or do I just live in a totally car-centric universe, where men think driving is more macho and women don't want to destroy their makeup?
Old 08-17-04, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Maybe it's just your area? At least in the summer, I see about equal amounts of men and women out there going to and from work. On the other hand, our mayor does a lot to promote cycling in the warmer months, so there's a lot more visibility of just about every shape and size of riders, and of both sexes.

Koffee

Old 08-17-04, 08:05 PM
enigmagic
Zweckentfremdung

Bikes: Soma Rush, Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Metro Atlanta is a car-centric universe. But yeah, I think that commuting requires such a significant time committment that already-pressed women can't acquiesce to. Ladies take more time in the mornings, its pretty generally true.
Old 08-17-04, 08:08 PM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know, but I have seen a lot of women riding around on scooters lately, so the desire for more efficient city transport is there.

There is also the impression that riding a bicycle in traffic requires a certain amount of bravado, which is true to a limited extent, and women tend to go in for that sort of thing less than men. Before I get flamed - I'm not saying this is good or bad, it's just an observation.
Old 08-17-04, 09:32 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ho where to begin! Most of my friends concur that bikes are not very well thought out + need constant maintenance. A flat tire is all that it takes to deter most. To get a realistic commuter bike, it would mean either...helplessly visit the LB$ shop 2X/month to fix this or that, or be practically a mechanic.

Most women don't want to be in public messy, dirty, or smelly. Toss in bad weather 6mo's/yr and that about cinches it.

It's alot of scrambling to not embarrass other people too. I share an office with a guy that doesn't know I bike. Pretty funny waiting for him to FINALLY leave the room so I can "hang laundry" under the desk....and if I forget...there's a stinky little reminder that drifts out of the backpack around noon!
Old 08-17-04, 09:35 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Allister
Don't know, but I have seen a lot of women riding around on scooters lately, so the desire for more efficient city transport is there.

There is also the impression that riding a bicycle in traffic requires a certain amount of bravado, which is true to a limited extent, and women tend to go in for that sort of thing less than men. Before I get flamed - I'm not saying this is good or bad, it's just an observation.
Not just bravado in traffic, but I think they like the feeling of being locked inside and more safe.
Old 08-17-04, 11:15 PM
Kris Flatlander

Bikes: Cannondale Super Six 1, Cannondale F29er 1, Cannondale XTJ, Guru Pista, Lemond Limoge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have noticed that there are next to zero for female commuters up here.
Old 08-17-04, 11:28 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 267 Posts
I see a few in Olympia, perhaps 20%.
Old 08-17-04, 11:47 PM
Merriwether
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, judging from my female friends and -ex's to whom I've put this question:

(1) fear of traffic

(2) not wanting to get sweaty or messy

(3) dresses

(4) not wanting to be geeky

(5) fear of harassment
Old 08-18-04, 02:13 AM
K6-III

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have noted a general absence of female bike commuters as well...
Old 08-18-04, 03:25 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I think we can extend the question beyond commuters and ask it about cycling in general. I find the percentage of female commuters in this area is about the same as the percentage of female cyclists in general, i.e. very small. Those that I do see tend not to do it for very long. I think the harassment seems to be a big factor here. Even I often question whether it's worth it sometimes, and I'm the most arrogant creature in the universe!

I remember one female commuter I used to meet occasionally. She was quite enjoying it up until schoolies' week last year. I rode with here on the Thursday evening of that particular week (which is more like a fortnight these days), she described the whole experience that week as "absolutely horrible". I haven't seen her since. I really think all those 45 year old "teenagers" yelling, flashing and doing God only knows what else put her and numerous other females off.

That is all.
Old 08-18-04, 03:32 AM
Lufty
n00b street rider

Location: North Bay Area, California, USA, Terra Firma, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster.

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the 6 months I have been comuting here in the North Bay Area(north of SF mind you), I have yet to see a single female bike commuter. Plenty of road biker women on the weekends on the Sonoma county roads...but no commuters.
Bummer too, it would be nice to run across a female commuter! What's up ladies?
Old 08-18-04, 03:34 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I often see one female commuter in my town..That is about it..Why do we not see more female cyclists, period...? On a nice day on the most popular cycling areas, I would guess maybe 20 % of roadies are women..
Old 08-18-04, 03:48 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a good friend that I have tried to encourage to commute by bike. I have gotten far, she has done a few trips already, but methinks we may have hit the wall now. She feels she should be wearing a helmet, but cannot, due to helmet hair. I cannot disagree, she will look different after commuting with helmet. From her point of view driving to work is better than doing her hair again at work. We apparently have very different idea of what "doing your hair" actually means. I have also been informed that changing hairstyle or going bald is NOT an option.

My only hope now is that she tries her commute out a couple of times and gets addicted. It has been known to happen...

--J

[edit]typos, sigh[/edit]

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines

Last edited by Juha; 08-18-04 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-18-04, 05:08 AM
erraticrider

Bikes: Cannondale, trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a couple of women bicycle commuters. They do it for the exercise, just like me.
Old 08-18-04, 07:35 AM
Kabloink

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I never see any women riding in the morning except around the university(students riding to school), but then I seldom see any other men cycling to work either.

Last edited by Kabloink; 08-18-04 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-18-04, 07:50 AM
franklen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only seen one female commuter in the last year and a half here. A few more road bikers on the weekends, as has been observed in other places, though in those cases they are 99% of the time riding with someone else/in a group, so it is undoubdtedly safer and they don't have to deal with all the runaround with changing when getting to work, leaving again, etc. It is hard to set up a commuting buddy in my experience. I have come across two other fellas in my general area/route but we have been unable to ever ride together to work due to schedules mostly. But also because one of the reasons I commute is so my shcedule can be my own. I don't want to have to be ready to ride at 8:30 am sharp everyday, sometimes I leave as late as 9:10, cause we have flex in-out times at the office and I can get there as late as 9:30. Maybe I am just more of a loner, but I've never seen any other commuters riding with partners either.
Old 08-18-04, 07:52 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Merriwether
Well, judging from my female friends and -ex's to whom I've put this question:

(1) fear of traffic

(2) not wanting to get sweaty or messy

(3) dresses

(4) not wanting to be geeky

(5) fear of harassment
(6) ****

(7) robbery

I added that section because harassment is only a small portion of what we men do not have to face. I find now that I'm older, the teenagers leave me alone. Women on the other hand don't get a break.

At night, women have to be more careful where they walk. Men don't. I find riding a bike is actually safer than walking in a bad neighborhood because the crooks can't make a decision and by the time they do, you're long gone. But try telling that to a woman because they won't buy it. Maybe they're right.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 08-18-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-18-04, 08:02 AM
nolageek
FixedGearQueer

Bikes: 2005 IRO, 198x Bianchi Stelvio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a lady riding this morning, but that's the first time I've seen her - or any woman - on my commute to work. But, I know a bunch of women riders through the bike project. They do all their own maintenence and everything, plus volunteer at the project so they work on bikes just about every day. Nifty. When I was in New York last week, I saw five or six girls pull up at Times Up and enter as I was leaving. Seems the girl riders I've met are mostly bike activists of some sort, which I assume means they're commuters.
Old 08-18-04, 08:13 AM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vrkelley
Ho where to begin! Most of my friends concur that bikes are not very well thought out + need constant maintenance. A flat tire is all that it takes to deter most. To get a realistic commuter bike, it would mean either...helplessly visit the LB$ shop 2X/month to fix this or that, or be practically a mechanic.
Man, I have no idea what kind of bike you're riding. I tune my bike up once and year and rarely have to touch it after that. In fact, besides putting air in the tires, I can't think of one thing I've had to do on my bike this year.

Bikes are very low maintenence. That's one of the things that makes them so appealing to people. It boggles the mind how people will deal with the constant upkeep of their car but freak out because they may get a flat tire twice a year.
Old 08-18-04, 08:59 AM
franklen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I had a bike like yours. Besides the occasional need that is not addressed in a springtime tuneup. Like my recent shift cables needing replaced, or a blown bottom bracket, or a snapped seat tube bolt (all example from me in the last year). There are loosed bolts occasionally, lubing and cleaning which are necessary when commuting everyday in any weather rain or shine summer or winter, a flat here or there, a popped spoke or two over time, checking and replacing batteries in head and rear lights, readjusting fenders that get out-of-line, etc. Its all the little stuff that can add up. I cannot honetly say that my bike has taken less maintenance and or repair work than my car over the last year. Cheaper work for sure in comparison, but not less.
Old 08-18-04, 09:06 AM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must have a good bike.
Old 08-18-04, 09:09 AM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always think that I should commute. But, it's a very short ride, so no real exercise benefit, and it crosses a very tricky highway access that I've never figured out a safe way to cross, and then goes through an office park that is extremely bike-unfriendly - high speed, narrow, twisting road with limited visibility. Overall, too much traffic and fumes to be fun. And then, getting to work sweaty with helmet-hair. I'll admit that I always want to, but it just doesn't seem wise.
Old 08-18-04, 09:16 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
(6) ****

(7) robbery

I added that section because harassment is only a small portion of what we men do not have to face.
You obviously don't live in my town!
Old 08-18-04, 09:29 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From her point of view driving to work is better than doing her hair again at work.
I can't imagine she'd find my argument convincing, but here goes anyway:
Don't make your hair look nice before you ride just do it up nice after.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.