Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting Conundrum

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting Conundrum

Old 08-23-08, 06:20 PM
Seneca
newbie tourer

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting Conundrum

Hello all!

I usually lurk in the touring forums but recently I have been facing a commuting issue. I am just starting a 5 year program at my new university (University of California Irvine). I live on the third floor of a building with no elevator. I currently own a Trek 520 touring bike valued at $1400 dollars which would perfectly suit my needs for commuting the half mile to school and half mile to the grocery store as well as occasional longer commute of 10+ miles. I am looking to be as car free as possible.

The problem is that I need to leave my bike outside of my apartment on a crowded bike rack. The obvious answer is to get a cheap bike yet I may want to do some shopping and need a rack that will stand up to some decent weight. I don't think theft is a very big concern but then again I may eat those words if I put it to the test with my baby Trek 520. Plus I am worried about weathering though I do live in Southern California (sunny and some rain in winter).

Any ideas on what to do? My three ideas are:

1) Just use the Trek 520 with a good lock and don't worry about theft (Irvines pretty safe) or weathering or rough treatment by others.
2) "Cheap" bike (which?) that does what I need.
3) Get an REI commuter (or something similar) that's a bit more expensive ($400-$800) but will be fun to ride/have that I can view as a 5 year (longer?) good investment while saving my 520 for touring/recreation rides stored at my parents near by house. Less tragic than 520 if stolen.

Any help or similar experiences would be great!

Seneca
Old 08-23-08, 06:37 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Just half mile. I would walk with no problems.

Old 08-23-08, 06:46 PM
T Waldo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Just half mile. I would walk with no problems.
+1. I wouldn't even consider a half mile a commute. Save your good bike for the 10 mi + rides and just haul it up the stairs.

And good luck in your program. Makes sense to plan if your going to be there for 5 years.
Old 08-23-08, 06:51 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As someone else in a five-year program who just got done with a four-year program (ie, college), I'd recommend walking that half mile with a good set of headphones and an iPod. I walked the 3/4 mile distance to class daily in undergrad, and the music made it an awesome 18 minutes.
Old 08-23-08, 06:56 PM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed...not worth the worry of running downstairs every 4 hours just to make sure it's still there. Better yet jog the half mile to add to your legs for those 10+ on the bike.
Old 08-23-08, 07:02 PM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Even though you live 1/2 mile from UCIrvine, its a good idea to have a bike to get around the school (its big enough), rahter than walk all over the place.

My suggestion is to go down to the local diso**** store (Sports Authority, Target) and get a single speed cruiser bike for $100, spend $20 for a basket to put on front, and use that as your daily commuter and grocery-getter machine. Get a good lock, too. Might also want to buy some spray paint to "ugly up" the bike's frame to make it less desirable to thieves. Keep the Trek in the apt. for those longer weekend rides.

Old 08-23-08, 07:11 PM
annc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfrider
Even though you live 1/2 mile from UCIrvine, its a good idea to have a bike to get around the school (its big enough), rahter than walk all over the place.

My suggestion is to go down to the local diso**** store (Sports Authority, Target) and get a single speed cruiser bike for $100, spend $20 for a basket to put on front, and use that as your daily commuter and grocery-getter machine. Get a good lock, too. Might also want to buy some spray paint to "ugly up" the bike's frame to make it less desirable to thieves. Keep the Trek in the apt. for those longer weekend rides.
Wow, derogatory terms from the 70's.
Old 08-23-08, 07:22 PM
crocodilefundy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use my bike for my daily .7mile commute to classes and my 1.4 mile commute to work. its not a big deal at all going up to the 3rd floor, you'll get used to it. however you do risk leaving your bike around campus.
Old 08-23-08, 07:30 PM
Seneca
newbie tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been walking thus far, and surfrider has a point. I often need to get "around campus" which certainly adds to my commute. I just calculated with my friend and we estimate it's more like a mile each way and another mile walking around campus. That's time I could be putting into study!

I think I will follow surfriders advice. The big reason to not bring out my 520 every day is because I am worried I will ding the walls of my apartment over time. But weekends (once in a while) should be fine.

Thanks for your opinions everyone, any other idea, let me know!

Seneca
Old 08-23-08, 07:32 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What will you be studying?
Old 08-23-08, 07:37 PM
Seneca
newbie tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glaciology.

Figuring out how ice sheets behave and how much they will contribute to sea level rise.

Seneca
Old 08-23-08, 07:52 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweet! We need more scientists concerned with the environment. Best of luck with the program.
Old 08-23-08, 07:53 PM
keiththesnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd suggest you get on craigslist right away, and that you buy yourself a fair used bike for your short commute. You'll be happy that it isn't pretty, and you won't risk loss of your good bike. Always nice to have an excuse to buy another bike. I'd save the nice bike for the longer rides.
Old 08-23-08, 08:13 PM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glaciology. Cool. I helped map such things, carried way too much in soil samples for too long. Worked on a project that distinguished ridge top diamictons from bordering glacial deposits. They were older mudflows. Pretty cool.

Schwinn Skyliner, WalMart. I'm tempted by one myself!

Target, Schwinn Clear Creek with rack $180

Disassemble & reassemble. I'm tempted myself.
Old 08-23-08, 08:18 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I plan to keep mine inside when I move on campus. As for walls, meh. Easily cleaned.

P.S. UCI has a pretty kool cycling team, check them out.
UD
Originally Posted by Seneca
Hello all!

I usually lurk in the touring forums but recently I have been facing a commuting issue. I am just starting a 5 year program at my new university (University of California Irvine). I live on the third floor of a building with no elevator. I currently own a Trek 520 touring bike valued at $1400 dollars which would perfectly suit my needs for commuting the half mile to school and half mile to the grocery store as well as occasional longer commute of 10+ miles. I am looking to be as car free as possible.

The problem is that I need to leave my bike outside of my apartment on a crowded bike rack. The obvious answer is to get a cheap bike yet I may want to do some shopping and need a rack that will stand up to some decent weight. I don't think theft is a very big concern but then again I may eat those words if I put it to the test with my baby Trek 520. Plus I am worried about weathering though I do live in Southern California (sunny and some rain in winter).

Any ideas on what to do? My three ideas are:

1) Just use the Trek 520 with a good lock and don't worry about theft (Irvines pretty safe) or weathering or rough treatment by others.
2) "Cheap" bike (which?) that does what I need.
3) Get an REI commuter (or something similar) that's a bit more expensive ($400-$800) but will be fun to ride/have that I can view as a 5 year (longer?) good investment while saving my 520 for touring/recreation rides stored at my parents near by house. Less tragic than 520 if stolen.

Any help or similar experiences would be great!

Seneca
Old 08-23-08, 08:41 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a two-legged kickstand on your 520, so you won't have to lean it against the wall.

Another solution for medium distances is to get a folding bike. Easier to get in, easier to bring in stores and buildings.
Old 08-23-08, 09:17 PM
surfrider

Originally Posted by annc
Wow, derogatory terms from the 70's.
Oop! looked like I didn't spell check properly and the software picked up a derogatory term due to transposed letters in the word "discount." Sorry about that!

BTW: What I suggested is what I did. I live only 1 mile from work, so no reason to spend big $$$ on anything more than an inexpensive beach cruiser with a basket. And I did spray paint it, too - its one ugly 'machine'! Also use the cruiser for runs to the market and other short errends. Call it "the proper tool for the job."

Old 08-23-08, 09:25 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my first good bike stolen in Irvine. Left it in the enclosed back yard of my employer for 4-5 minutes and got nervous even though no one could see over his 7 ft fence. Went back to lock it up - Gone. Cops said "Oh well you were only 5 blocks from Irvines' High School in the Woodbridge area. Some kid saw you go in there and took it as soon as you went inside." Lock whatever you buy.

Speaking of Glaciology I have a story for you I'll PM
Old 08-23-08, 09:26 PM
surfrider

One mre thing for Seneca:

How do you like the Trek 520? I'm looking at getting a touring bike and would appreciate feedback; positives or negatives would be appreciated, especially if you've done any tours or long distance rides on it.

Thanks

Old 08-23-08, 09:53 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I'd say that you want a good running older bike that looks like crows have been gnawing on it. Find a suitable bike that was in the mid to upper range way back and get a bike shop to rebuild it. It'll cost you but the bike will ride superbly and with the "crow gnawed" look hopefully it won't draw a lot of attention.

Just get one that has fender and rack mounting eyelets on it and then set it up with some really horid looking fenders and a rack. A little rubber ducky honker that warns pedestrians of your approach will further chase away any thief with a shred of self respect.

If it's not gnawed enough looking then do a little disfiguring of your own. Then just wax the damaged areas with a good car wax to resist any rusting. Or rub on some boiled linseed oil to cover it up so it won't rust but still looks like heck.

Two of my best riding bikes are old "crow gnawed" bikes from the late 80's for one and mid 90's for the other. They really knew how to make some excellent steel frames back then. Look for an older high end mountain bike since any of the early road bikes are going to be targets for the fixie crowd suppliers. Besides, an old high end rigid fork mountain bike would make an excellent short hop commuter and errand getter thanks to the more upright seating position. Just stick some platform pedals on it and enjoy the ride at a little slower pace.
Old 08-24-08, 01:32 AM
Seneca
newbie tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the Trek 520. I replaced the saddle with a Brooks B17 and the rear rack with a tubus cargo rack (though this needed a little work to get it to fit and there may be better alternative racks) everything else was stock. I did a one month tour from Vienna to Amsterdam along the rivers. Mostly the roads were good though there were some gnarly portions (deep loose gravel). The bike performed excellently, no mechanical issues and only one flat tire near the end of the trip. I really like it and wouldn't mind buying again. If you look in the touring forum the darling (as I can see) seems to be the Surly LHT partly (as I understand) because it's customizable. Other complaints about the Trek 520 is the gearing is too high, and many replace with a lower gearing for those steep mountain climbs. I think eventually I will do this, if I ever get around to those alps (they're calling).

Anyway the Trek 520 is a highly regarded work horse, and I don't have any real complaints, just keep in mind this is my first touring bike and my experience and wisdom in this area is limited. Do a search in the touring forum and you will find TONS of info!

Seneca

@BCRider yeah I will bide my time and keep my eye out for a good deal, I do check Craigs list and if I can find a "steal" then I'll go for it.
Old 08-24-08, 02:39 AM
bwunger

Bikes: '07 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a reason you can't keep it inside? It's only 2 flights of stairs.
Old 08-24-08, 02:49 AM
Seneca
newbie tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to keep it at the back of my apartment and I know that during my five year stay I will undoubtedly be bumping walls, tracking in dirt and such. That's primarily why actually.

Seneca
Old 08-24-08, 04:36 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Get an Xooter Swift for around campus,
keep the 520 for longer rides.
Old 08-24-08, 05:38 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 850 Posts
[QUOTE=surfrider;7330919]Oop! looked like I didn't spell check properly and the software picked up a derogatory term due to transposed letters in the word "discount." Sorry about that!

When Annc said 'derogatory terms from the seventies', I though the issue was the word "disco".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.