Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

upgrade from Lumotec Plus

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 07:11 PM
SingeDebile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend of my roomate accidentally smashed my headlight so I am once again in the market for one (he offered to replace it). I dont have the money for one of the new ultra LED ones but I would be willing to upgrade a bit if the difference will be noticeable. The Halogen Lumotec was the first real headlight ive ever used and I was very impressed with it, though I have yet to do any fast rides at night or extended tours with it. Of note is the fact its paired to a Dymotec 6 bottle dynamo. So any ideas or suggestions in the $40 plus market would be really helpful, otherwise I will probably just stick replace it.
Old 04-10-09, 10:26 PM
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the Dlumotec LED maybe?
Old 04-12-09, 08:46 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Lumotec Fly (either without or with standlight) sells for 35 to 50 $ and has approximately the same brightness as your old halogen light. But it won't get dimmer over time and you won't burn bulbs because it uses LEDs. I think it is very good light for being seen, but not the best to ride in total darkness.

The Lumotec IQ Fly (note the IQ) may come with or without standlight and sells for about 100 $. It is 3 times brighter than the Fly. If you ride in poorly lit areas, you will truly appreciate the difference.
Old 04-15-09, 05:34 PM
SingeDebile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i think that was the idea, I want to be able to use this on a country road where there is no other light.. Ill look into the lumotec IQFly
Old 04-15-09, 07:03 PM
calina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a soldering iron and know how to use it, you could make a really good light for about $40/$50.00.
Here's a good reference : https://www.pilom.com/BicycleElectron...moCircuits.htm
Circuit number 2 with 3 XRE Cree LEDs would provide more light than what you ever hoped for and would rival with lights costing in the hundreds of dollars..
Old 04-17-09, 04:04 PM
SingeDebile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calina
If you have a soldering iron and know how to use it, you could make a really good light for about $40/$50.00.
Here's a good reference : https://www.pilom.com/BicycleElectron...moCircuits.htm
Circuit number 2 with 3 XRE Cree LEDs would provide more light than what you ever hoped for and would rival with lights costing in the hundreds of dollars..
what LED would you recommend if I could only use one (I would be retro-fitting an old headlight), would one of the ones with a pre-mounted lens like this https://www.theledlight.com/LuxeonLEDs.html at 5 watts work?