Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ultegra 8050 or 6870?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ultegra 8050 or 6870?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 07:25 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by FeltF2Tarmac
So if I’m reading that chart correctly I could use the new shifters with my older 6870? Then I could just gradually upgrade the entire system over a short period of time.
All of the etube shifters are mix and match, even the 6770 10 speed shifters will work with all of the 11 speed Ultegra and Dura Ace. When it comes to derailleurs, some play nice with each other and some don't so do your homework before jumping in. Check out Carlton Bale's di2 blog, it will explain almost all things di2 Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace Di2 Electronic Shifting ? Everything You Need to Know ? Carlton Bale .com
Old 11-06-17, 08:31 AM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Never seen that information before, thank you dvdslw. Looks like a good page to keep as reference.
Old 10-22-22, 11:21 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I realize I’m bumping an old thread, but I have a 2015 Pinarello Marvel with mechanical Ultegra 6800 (rim brake if that makes any difference). There was a 6870 model when I bought the bike new many years ago and I’m now kicking myself for not just buying the 6870 model at the time. Anyhoo, I’ve toyed with the idea of going to 6870 and have found a few used sets online, but I’m wondering if I can go up 8050 or even Dura Ace 9070 (don’t need DA but will consider it if it can directly bolt on to my bike) without any issues. My biggest concern is modifying the frame (drilling) to make space for a new groupset.

I’m aware the cost of converting can be very high, but I’d try to put my 6800 on my wife’s 105 5800 Domane and then sell the 105 bits. I really, really love this bike and don’t have any plans/interest in getting a new road bike (searching for a new TT bike to replace the P3 I sold some time ago).

Can I go directly from 6800 to 8050 without drilling holes or making serious frame modifications or am I stuck going to 6870 only? Would like the 12th gear but it’s by no means necessary.

Again - I realize this is an old thread, but I very much appreciate your thoughts and guidance
Old 10-24-22, 03:43 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I'm confused. Why would you modify (drill) your frame? Doesn't it already internally route the cables? If so, you'd use the same routing for the new brake cabling and the e-tube wiring. I must be missing something.
Old 10-24-22, 05:05 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Originally Posted by Badger6
I'm confused. Why would you modify (drill) your frame? Doesn't it already internally route the cables? If so, you'd use the same routing for the new brake cabling and the e-tube wiring. I must be missing something.
I didn’t know if the newer units were the same size and therefore use the same holes as where the existing 6800 is. Yes, there is internal cable routing.
Old 10-24-22, 06:17 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
I didn’t know if the newer units were the same size and therefore use the same holes as where the existing 6800 is. Yes, there is internal cable routing.
My first Di2 install (68xx) was on a 2015 Trek Madone 5 frame. Like your frame, it used internally routed cabling. The only thing I needed to acquire were the Di2 specific grommets for the frame holes (left side for the wiring to enter the frame next to the rear brake cable housing and right side to close the hole in the frame). Honestly, this was more about a "clean" install than any sort of requirement to run the Di2 wire from the A-Jct (under the stem) to B-Jct (at the bottom bracket), it would have been possible to run the wires without the specific grommets. Check with Pinarello and see if they have a similar Di2 adapter kit, otherwise just run the wires like you'd run shift cables. There should be no need to modify the frame.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 10-24-22, 08:30 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Originally Posted by Badger6
My first Di2 install (68xx) was on a 2015 Trek Madone 5 frame. Like your frame, it used internally routed cabling. The only thing I needed to acquire were the Di2 specific grommets for the frame holes (left side for the wiring to enter the frame next to the rear brake cable housing and right side to close the hole in the frame). Honestly, this was more about a "clean" install than any sort of requirement to run the Di2 wire from the A-Jct (under the stem) to B-Jct (at the bottom bracket), it would have been possible to run the wires without the specific grommets. Check with Pinarello and see if they have a similar Di2 adapter kit, otherwise just run the wires like you'd run shift cables. There should be no need to modify the frame.
Thank you so much! I didn’t think there was any change in sizing of front or rear derailleurs but wasn’t really sure, especially as 12 speeds have become more prevalent.
Likes For thin_concrete: