Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Clicking Coming From Fat Bike Headset

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 05-07-19, 07:56 PM
nishiki12
Plato's Featherless Biped

Bikes: Nishiki Anasazi, Schwinn something or other

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got a Framed Minnesota 2.0: https://www.framedbikes.com/collecti...12690616188979

It has a threadless Neco headset and a rigid fork. Recently, I've been hearing a rather loud clicking noise coming from the headset whenever I stand up on the bike or when I rock the bike back and forth while holding the front brake. I'm confident it's coming from the headset, since I removed the front wheel and the sound persisted when I rocked the bike. I have disassembled most of the headset and greased the races, but the clicking persists.

The sound started after I rode the bike for the first time at Tranquility Park. I crashed twice, but both were at low speed and the bike suffered no damage other than a slightly bent derailleur hanger.

I think it's also important to note that the star nut in the headtube had to be rethreaded, since I put in the top bolt slightly askew by accident. The bolt now leans just a little to one side, but the clicking sound has been around since before the incident.

1. Is this a big problem?

2. How do I fix it? (preferably at the lowest cost possible )
Old 05-14-19, 04:55 PM
Weresquatch

Bikes: Just the normal stuff, cruisers, duilies, fatbike, road bikes, single speeds...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
....sounds like your headset is loose....reseat it properly. I don't know your level of comfort/skill but of course the most common mistake is people trying to tighten the headset just through the preload top cap. I tend to loosen the bolts on my stem and gently get the bike to rock back and forth while I exert downward pressure on the stem until I get all the play out and then retighten my stem bolts.
Old 05-23-19, 07:51 AM
darwink1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
To confirm its loose, grab the lower headset cup and rock the bike back and forth. Then garb the upper cup and repeat. If it's loose you'll feel the play.

The clicking is more than likely your headset but I've had it come from the stem as well. Check the bolts at the stem/bar and stem/steerer.

D
Old 05-27-19, 10:50 PM
ChesterWallace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try to fix it properly.