Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Cycling in Wrightsville Beach, NC

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-28-19, 10:46 AM
akeelor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I am traveling with my wife and kids to Wrightsville Beach, NC in a couple of weeks and was hoping a few people might have some advice on routes in the area. I am likely going to rent a Specialized Diverge from an LBS instead of trying to bring my gear. Love it if someone might even have a map I could download on to my Wahoo.

Safe cycling summer to all.
Old 06-28-19, 11:36 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Last year when I visited the North Carolina coast, I just searched for rides in the area using ridewithgps.com and chose the route that contained the roads that were most popular among the searches. Worked out very well.
Old 07-01-19, 10:28 AM
wobrien

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I go to Carolina Beach quite a bit. I usually just go for a long rides out in the country and find my way back pretty easily. It is all flat and near the ocean is windy. Fort Fischer is about 25 miles south of Wrightsville Beach. It is a small Civil War battle ground which I enjoy seeing. It might make for an interesting ride to go there, see the small museum, rest, hydrate and eat, then head back home. You will go through a few beach towns and will have a few significant bridges to get over which will break up the ride. Early morning will have a lot less traffic as will mid-week.

I hope you enjoy yourself.
Likes For wobrien:
Old 07-01-19, 11:02 AM
akeelor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
rThanks very much!
Old 07-03-19, 12:54 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I used to live there. It's all flat. It's a big town for triathletes because of the Beach 2 Battleship and White Lake triathlons. You'll see a lot of Tri bikes for sure. Lots of 2 lane main roads and quite a few backroads. Not super bike friendly, lots of tourists/college age drivers.

If you get out of town on country roads there are lots of farms and nice country routes that are a lot less crowded and fewer vehicles. Nice to ride along the beach but the back country roads out of town are better suited for long peaceful rides.

-Sean