Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Getting a 7 year old to school

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 02:07 PM
honkeykong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suggestions on getting a 7 year old to school on a bike? The route would be about 1.5 mile one way, up a large hill to school (probably on a sidewalk as it is a busy road). She is about 60-70 pounds and of course getting bigger. I would not trust the situation under her own control (on her own bike) yet. I have thought of a Trail-a-Bike. Would it be feasible to lock the trail-a-bike at the school for the return trip or ride it home empty?
Old 08-27-08, 02:24 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newer used a bike like that so I do not know about locking or bringing home. Just wanted to say that you could look into the tandem solution. I know they rebuild it so that you can ride it with a child in the back. Did I see something on Sheldon Brown`s tandem artcles? They mowe the (ekstra) crankset up so the child can reach it. Safe solution for many years to come and she can contribute according to age as she grows.

Last edited by badmother; 08-27-08 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-08, 07:23 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you already have the Trail-a-Bike, that's fine. But otherwise, I would not recommend buying a new one unless you can pass it to younger kids. Handling a 70-lb bike on a trailercycle can be done, but a lot depends on your stability, your handling skills, your bicycle and its stability and, most importantly, the stability of your child.

The Trail-a-Bike may be locked at school, but then, a lot depends on school kids behaviour. But you can also ride solo your bike + trailercycle or a tandem.
Old 08-27-08, 09:13 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trail a bike and a set of panniers for her books. With the TB she will help you make the hill. With my kid I have to keep getting her to quit peddling on the MUP so her mom can catch up with us.

You will hardly notice the TB behind you empty. Just take it home with you.
Old 08-27-08, 09:40 PM
angelaharms
Spark of the Divine Fire

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Sole Ride 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, yes, trail-a-bike is a great option. They come pretty big, too. She will be able to help pedal, and will learn about biking by riding behind you. They come in different sizes, so check around.

And yeah, you can lock it up at school, but you can also bike with it behind you.

Or, if you have loads of money, you could get this:
https://www.buddybike.com/
Old 08-28-08, 09:02 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.x2cycle.com/?gclid=CPG5-4...FSUqagodJnXvTQ
I haven't tried this.
Old 09-01-08, 11:22 AM
deburn

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Bighorn 1.3, 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to add my vote for the TAB. I got one cheap off CL and my son loves it (as do I!). He just started riding his own bike earlier this year (with training wheels) and loves that too, but the TAB is now his preferred ride.

I've taken him to his daycare and ridden back alone and riding solo with the TAB was fine. Just make sure you use a safety flag (tall orange one that plugs into the rear axle of the TAB - 9.99). It's something you need to use anyway when riding in/around traffic so that drivers know you ahve something behind you. It's a blast!
Old 09-01-08, 02:13 PM
Chicagoan

Bikes: Fixie conversion, a few 10 speeds, a trailer, I GT Transeo for utilitarian riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you havn't tried the Family forum will have alot more for you