Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Using a Whistle?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Using a Whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-04, 09:32 PM
Ryan
Arguing Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using a Whistle?

Recently I have started carrying a whistle, After talking to others about it I found it quite useful. If you ride in a group and the group get ahead and you get a flat you can use it to get their attention.. Use it to get the attention of others.. I herd you can use it to scare animals.. And also if you get hit and are laying somewhere from the road you could use it for attention.. I picked it up at walmart.. Its quite loud, loudest in the world or so it says.. Does anyone else carry a whistle?
Old 07-18-04, 03:35 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
There are some on this board who use whistles. However, I, personally have never seen the need for one. I rarely ride in a large group, and even then I carry all of my own spares. I've never felt a need to scare away animals when riding, and even if I did, I could probably yell loud enough to do it. Despite being hit by cars five times, I've never once ended up laying on the road, or even losing control of the bike, and even if I had, I doubt that fact would have any trouble attracting attention -- although getting people to actually care is another matter completely.

That is all.
Old 07-18-04, 10:38 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I carry a whistle, but I dont have it in my mouth at all times, so a scream is my usual emergency alarm sound. There are a couple of busy intersections where cars dont yield as they should so I put it in my mouth when I approach. I also use it when I see peds ahead of me on the bridge or bike path - I can give warning when I am far enough away that they dont have to make a sudden leap to the side
Old 07-18-04, 10:57 AM
Ryan
Arguing Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I don't carry it in my mouth, but in a jersey pocket...
Old 07-18-04, 11:35 AM
beatle bailey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an AIR HORN!!! it really gets attention!
Old 07-19-04, 09:10 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes, like motorcycles, are often not noticed by motorists, which can lead to a collision. A whistle will get their attention in an emergency, if it's in your teeth. I kept one in my teeth for years.

A horn is really better, in my experience. At least three times I can remember someone pulling their vehicle over when I blew my whistle--they thought it was a policeman. The last time it happened, the guy pulled over and cut me off. I clipped his mirror as I squeezed by on the right. Could have been much worse.

But a whistle did save me quite a few times.
Old 07-20-04, 07:59 AM
franklen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a whistle too, not often but I always carry it along with me on a cord aorund my neck. In fact I am so used to using and carrying a whistle in my other extra-curricular activities for safety (paddling, backpacking) that I would feel naked without one. Never hurts to have, only has helped in my experience, light as a feather, under $15 for a high quality one that will last relatively forever, is loud as hell, and has no moving parts, even glows in the dark. And see this past thread for some other reasons why I believe a whistle is better than other signalling devices: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=44700

"A horn is really better, in my experience. At least three times I can remember someone pulling their vehicle over when I blew my whistle--they thought it was a policeman."
ANother reason why I like the whistle, people do think this and it gets there attention!