Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Cyclist killed in Oakland after getting hit by bus

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Old 05-19-10, 07:38 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Another cyclist die after getting hit by bus. Little detail yet. Argh!

Edit for: Another reminder for myself to be careful since I commute by bike to work everyday.

https://cbs5.com/local/oakland.bicycl...2.1704437.html

Last edited by colleen c; 05-19-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-20-10, 12:24 AM
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ugh! He was doored! At least the door contributed to his death. RIP.
Old 05-20-10, 09:08 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is why I take a lane.
Old 05-20-10, 11:46 AM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is another article. https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA911DHL85.DTL

This is a real tragedy. Although the person who doored him is the most at fault, the bus driver was not in proper control of the bus, either.

I have found that on most roads in Oakland, if I ride just wide of where doors of parked cars would open, it puts me right at the edge of where cars in the right lane are driving. These means that they try to pass me without changing lanes or slowing down and often come very very close to hitting me. The risk is too high and I simply don't trust most drivers to be able to navigate their cars within these very narrow boundaries. So on roads like this (and there are many of them), I now take the lane. This forces cars to change lanes to pass me, rather than trying to squeeze by within the same lane (although some still buzz me just out of malice). Based on what I've read, this seems like the safer approach and I understand that the CVC allows this.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Old 05-20-10, 11:53 AM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cannot even read the comments below the articles. They are filled with such hate and ignorance. Here is an example:

So Sundance and many of you are assuming that she did not look before opening her car door?? That is ridiculous. We motorists DO have a right to open our car doors if the car is at a stop and her car was stopped. The bicyclist was clearly fault for riding in the streets right next to the cars. HELLO! Anyone heard of bike lane and if there is no bike lane then you take your chance of being hit.
Old 05-20-10, 12:50 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
It's pretty much the same thing every time. A cyclist is hurt or killed by someone's negligence, and it makes the news. You read the comments, and they are full of statements about how bicyclists fail to do this and fail to do that ... none of which is even the least bit relevant to the crash. It is as if all the sins of every bicyclist out there are imputed to each and every one of us. Incredible BS, and frankly ... stupid.

I don't know who to be madder at. The people writing those asinine comments or the cyclists I see running stop signs and red lights daily. They give the rest of us a bad name.

Old 05-20-10, 01:38 PM
nachomc

Bikes: Epic and Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROJA
I cannot even read the comments below the articles. They are filled with such hate and ignorance. Here is an example:

So Sundance and many of you are assuming that she did not look before opening her car door?? That is ridiculous. We motorists DO have a right to open our car doors if the car is at a stop and her car was stopped. The bicyclist was clearly fault for riding in the streets right next to the cars. HELLO! Anyone heard of bike lane and if there is no bike lane then you take your chance of being hit.
That person is an idiot. The person opening the door is obligated to ensure no oncoming traffic will strike it or be struck. If this had been a car that removed her door, she'd still be liable for those damages and for those to the other vehicle.