Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tires actual height

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Tires actual height

Old 08-03-10, 02:53 PM
cristobal41

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires actual height

Hi,
I have some room issues with a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28. They rubber the brake point in my road frame. After a few suggestions, I wiould like to know the actual height (cross side, from bead to thread) of that two tires:

Bontrager Race X Lite Hardcase 700x25, https://bontrager.com/model/06999

Continental SuperSport Plus 700x25, https://www.conti-online.com/generato...t_plus_en.html

If you had the chance to measure it, would you be that kind to let me know it?
Regards.
Old 08-03-10, 04:38 PM
mawtangent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, this might not be helpful to you (and you may already know it exists) but I had the same problem with Marathon Plus 700 x 28 and exchanged it for the Marathon Plus 700 x 25 which worked fine. It (the MP 700 x 25) looks very similar in size to a "regular" 700 x 25 tire when it is mounted on the rim. Some bikes, especially those marketed as racing bikes, aren't designed to take 700 x 28 tires. Also I've read that differing rim widths will affect to some degree the shape of the tire when it is mounted so you might take that in account when making comparisons.
Old 08-08-10, 05:08 AM
cristobal41

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mawtangent
Hey, this might not be helpful to you (and you may already know it exists) but I had the same problem with Marathon Plus 700 x 28 and exchanged it for the Marathon Plus 700 x 25 which worked fine. It (the MP 700 x 25) looks very similar in size to a "regular" 700 x 25 tire when it is mounted on the rim. Some bikes, especially those marketed as racing bikes, aren't designed to take 700 x 28 tires. Also I've read that differing rim widths will affect to some degree the shape of the tire when it is mounted so you might take that in account when making comparisons.
Hi, Maw,
Thanks for your help.
I checked that lowering the front wheel axle a bit out of the fork dropout the tire gives up rubbering. Thus the axle wouldn't be place at the end of the dropout but firmly tighten. Do you think that the axle would slide till the end of the dropout when hitting a pothole? You can easily imagine the disaster.
Thanks.

Last edited by cristobal41; 08-08-10 at 05:08 AM. Reason: check
Old 08-08-10, 01:30 PM
mawtangent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally wouldn't opt for a modification to make this work (I'd just get a smaller tire) and I don't know if I understand completely your alteration. I won't create a situation where I had even the tinniest anxiety that my wheel would come off the bike unexpectedly. If you only needed a few mm and there was some way you could fill in the dropouts with something solid (welding? soldering?) to create a solid foundation for the axle to rest against AND at the same time (on the other side of the axle) have enough dropout left to safely secure the wheel to the fork then it looks like that would work. I wouldn't want to leave a gap in the deepest part of the dropout (I would be afraid that the wheel would slip deeper into the dropout unexpectedly) and I wouldn't want to bypass the safety "lawyer" lips toward the outer-ends of the dropout (if you have these on your fork). You might could get away with it (especially doing away with the "lawyer" lips, I think I've read that some grind them off so they can get their wheels off and on easier/faster) but I would just get a smaller tire.

I don't know how much experience you have with riding and I know some on BF love their larger tires (700 x 28 and wider). The main appeal that I've read seems to be that they ride more comfortably, absorb bumps better, etc. If that is your thing then I respect that. I "feel" like the skinnier tires are faster and have less rolling resistance and I'm not very sophisticated about ride quality (I'm not focused on having a "cushy" ride). The 700 x 25 Marathon Plus seems to be pretty "plush" to me, but, like I said, I'm not picky about the comfort aspect. You may chalk this experience up to just learning more about bikes and knowing what features to look for in your next bike. Hope you find a solution.
Old 08-09-10, 11:06 AM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but I had a similar experience with a set of Panaracer Ruffy Tuffy 700x28 that wouldn't clear my Alpha Q fork. Replaced them with 700x28 Gatorskins which had a lower profile with just adequate clearance. I would like to know if anyone knows which 700x28 has the lowest "profile" not width.