Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone fancy a Weinmann?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone fancy a Weinmann?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 06:16 PM
Aerlix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone fancy a Weinmann?

I've got an '06 Trek 1400, and the original Bontrager Select wheels have pretty much had it, rear spokes breaking all the time.

I'm a big guy, 6'6 and about 125kg. I figured, why get nice wheels when I'm probably going to trash them. So I ordered a set of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/700c-Shimano...7922856&sr=1-1

They have 36 spokes, so they must be strong right? The site says ''Omega Mach 1 rims'', but these rims say ''Weinmann RM19'', the photos also proudly display Weinmann livery (small blue sticker).

I'm starting to wonder whether I was a fool. I haven't put them on the bike yet but they don't spin that nicely, can feel a bit of friction/vibration. They also don't have skewers, it looks like the bolt through the wheels is part of the hub and it is a case of getting a set of levers to keep the wheel in place. Levers didn't come in the box... and since it looks like you can't order a set of levers online, everything is skewers, is this even a standard wheel setup?

Anyone have any opinions on these? Am I supposed to take that bolt out and put a skewer in? Do new wheels spin with a bit of friction until they are 'broken in'?

I'm about to embark on a lengthy tour, and I need some wheels that will really stand up to a bit of punishment, more than I care about weight. I would like to spend no more than about £130.

What do you think? Send these wheels back? Any suggestions for wheels that can take 125kg of love?

Cheers!

Last edited by Aerlix; 06-12-11 at 06:22 PM. Reason: additional wheel details added
Old 06-12-11, 06:46 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
send them back. get some 32 spoke open pro + 105 hub wheels with double butted spokes in 3x
Old 06-13-11, 05:32 AM
Aerlix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Done! Thanks for the swift advice, these look promising.
Old 06-13-11, 06:03 AM
Steev

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The description specifically included skewers.
I would be more worried about the build quality than the components if you want durability. Correct and even spoke tension is what gets you a good wheel.
Old 06-13-11, 06:13 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steev
I would be more worried about the build quality than the components if you want durability. Correct and even spoke tension is what gets you a good wheel.
Seconded. Weinmann has been around a long time and has a good reputatation even if they're off the radar nowadays but the build quality is probably suspect.

OPs are tough and even reasonably light. They'll do you right.
Old 06-13-11, 11:50 AM
Aerlix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steev
Yes this did concern me somewhat.. Not sure why I ever thought ordering wheels from Amazon Marketplace was a good idea.. The seller claims they deduct 10% for admin costs on returns. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I've ordered a set of Mavic Open Pros:

Hand Built Mavic Open Pro Front Wheel - Mavic Open Pro/Couche Dure/32/105 5700 Black + DT Swiss Competition stainless steel double butted spokes

Hand Built Mavic Open Pro Rear Wheel - Mavic Open Pro/Couche Dure/36/105 5700 Black + DT Swiss Competition stainless steel double butted spokes

The CD treatment was an extra £10, and I figured the extra 4 spokes for the rear was probably a good idea if I'm going to be putting a few things in panniers on the back.

Thanks guys, looks like that was a very solid piece of advice. I'd been Googling around for quality wheels for a couple of weeks, not really finding anything. Set me back £210 but they look good, and more importantly like they fit my needs. I saw some Open Pros on other sites cheaper, but without the double butting, option of 36 rear, CD finish or 2011 105 5700 kit.