Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wish me Luck

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wish me Luck

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 07:59 PM
Rktman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish me Luck

After completely over-doing my first time back on a bike last month (first time in 30 years), I've been slowly building my time in the saddle and gaining some more experience. We've been blessed with amazing weekend weather over the last 4 weeks here in Northeast Ohio and this weekend looks pretty good as well. I will be attempting a 65 mile ride on the Ohio Erie Canal towpath on Friday. My plan is start at the north entrance (Harvard Avenue in Cleveland) and ride to Akron. This direction is slightly uphill (the canal had 40 some locks to get to the elevation in Akron). The trip back will have the wind at my back and the force of gravity making things a little easier.

After lurking in this forum over the last few years, I can see why so many get excited about riding. I'm hooked and feeling pretty good about the process. Thanks for all of your posts here... I appreciate all of the expertise.

Last edited by Rktman; 08-20-12 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-23-11, 08:24 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Overdoing it on the bike is probably the leading cause of giving up. It hurts when you overdo it. I probably didn't do a 65 mile ride until a year into it. Just don't stop.
Old 11-23-11, 08:30 PM
jedde

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, 30 years! Its never too late. Good luck Rktman, I'm hoping to be on the towpath Friday with my two sons while they're home for turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!

btw, nice bike! Looks perfect for the towpath.
Old 11-23-11, 08:41 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wish you luck. I also suggest that you may be heading for a burnout. It takes time and gradual building up of stamina to avoid hurting yourself, especially as the years pile on.

But do let us know how it goes and how long you take to recover. The body is a marvelous thing.
Old 11-23-11, 08:58 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Rktman
The trip back will have the wind at my back and the force of gravity making things a little easier.
If you can survive the first half of your ride, the return should be a gas!
Old 11-24-11, 07:20 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach
Overdoing it on the bike is probably the leading cause of giving up. It hurts when you overdo it. I probably didn't do a 65 mile ride until a year into it. Just don't stop.
+1 IMO the best way to get back to (or into) cycling at this age is to have reasonable expectations. That would include giving yourself some time to get "up to speed." It will take a while but you are less likely to get injured and/or burned out.
Old 11-24-11, 08:19 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck! The next couple days should be fantastic. You will not be alone on the Tow Path as plenty of others are going to be out to "work off some holiday". A ride report is a must since you posted it.
Old 11-24-11, 08:21 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Good luck! The next couple days should be fantastic. You will not be alone on the Tow Path as plenty of others are going to be out to "work off some holiday". A ride report is a must since you posted it.
+1
Old 11-24-11, 09:04 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rktman
After completely over-doing my first time back on a bike last month (first time in 30 years), I've been slowly building my time in the saddle and gaining some more experience. We've been blessed with amazing weekend weather over the last 4 weeks here in Northeast Ohio and this weekend looks pretty good as well. I will be attempting a 65 mile ride on the Ohio Erie Canal towpath on Friday. My plan is start at the north entrance (Harvard Avenue in Cleveland) and ride to Akron. This direction is slightly uphill (the canal had 40 some locks to get to the elevation in Akron). The trip back will have the wind at my back and the force of gravity making things a little easier.

After lurking in this forum over the last few years, I can see why so many get excited about riding. I'm hooked and feeling pretty good about the process. Thanks for all of your posts here... I appreciate all of the expertise . . .
Since you have only a month in the saddle may I suggest a slight change in plans? It would involve starting at Harvard Avenue with two objectives: 1) enjoyment and 2) getting a bit of seat time. Riding all the way to Akron and back would be most strictly optional done only if it met those two objectives and served the goal of staying hooked on cycling.

Best wishes for a fine ride!
Old 11-24-11, 09:09 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
I wish you luck. I also suggest that you may be heading for a burnout. It takes time and gradual building up of stamina to avoid hurting yourself, especially as the years pile on.

But do let us know how it goes and how long you take to recover. The body is a marvelous thing.
One of us needed to hear that. Longest ride this year is 25 miles, and 20 is the longest I've done on the bent. I was thinking about trying the Black Friday Fifty, but I think that's just asking for trouble.

Old 11-24-11, 09:12 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Good Luck.

Stop every 5 miles, rest, take a photo or two.

Have fun with it.

Old 11-24-11, 09:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It's out and back - right?

Just ride out until you're halfway tired, then turn around and ride back. The wisdom comes in knowing when you've reached the halfway tired point. I've made some bad calls in my day.
Old 11-24-11, 09:25 AM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck, I started back in July after 25 Years, and I am 57, longest run for me was a lot shorter then 65 miles, my average MPH went from 9 to 13, I am good, will start in the spring, all out!
Old 11-24-11, 09:26 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Good Luck.

Stop every 5 miles, rest, take a photo or two.

Have fun with it.
+1

Bring a bike-lock and have a nice lunch in Peninsula. It's an relaxed ride without too many challenges. The slope is slight and you will have any easy time on the way back.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-24-11 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 09:27 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Don't overdo it. Ride in an easier gear than usual so you don't run out of energy or get tired too quickly. As others have said, don't feel bad about stopping every 10 miles or so to rest. Take plenty of water, Gatorade, and food (PBJ, gels, fig bars, etc).
I did my first metric century (it was ~64 miles) when I had been riding about 5 months. I was 56 at the time.
Good luck and post pics.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-24-11, 09:44 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rktman, you missed this option by a few weeks. https://www.cvsr.com/bikeaboard.aspx
Old 11-24-11, 01:09 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Sounds like a plan, 10Wheels nailed it, have fun.

I started bicycling because I was fat and out of shape. So it wouldn't mean much to tell you how long it took me to get to 65 miles unless you just happened to be the same degree of fatness and out-of-shapeness, which is unlikely. So go for it.
Old 11-24-11, 01:51 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Good luck.
Old 11-24-11, 02:14 PM
Rktman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sneaking away from the family turkey get together to say thanks to everyone for the advice and comments. For me, planning for something like this is almost as fun as the actual event. I mapped out the ride on Ride with GPS and downloaded the course to my Garmin. I purchased an additional cage so I can carry two water bottles. I have a few energy bars packed as well. It looks like the weather will be great with sun and temps in the low 60's. My wife is on standby with a car and carrier to pick me up if I can't make it back to the start.

I'll post a complete ride report once completed. Here is the course...

Old 11-24-11, 07:34 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like fun and your back up plan sounds like you have it covered. If you werent in too bad of shape when you started it should be doable. I hope to come up and ride on the tow path some summer.
Old 11-24-11, 10:14 PM
bjaspud

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What time are you starting from Harvard. I plan to ride tommorow and might be able to meet up with you at Station Road Brecksville or at Pennisula depending on your timing.
Old 11-24-11, 10:36 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Can't wait to hear the outcome of this... I share the burnout concern but hope for the best. Good luck Rktman!
Old 11-25-11, 05:36 AM
Rktman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjaspud
What time are you starting from Harvard. I plan to ride tommorow and might be able to meet up with you at Station Road Brecksville or at Pennisula depending on your timing.
Leaving the house around 7:00 am... should be on the trail by 7:30
Old 11-25-11, 04:20 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
How was the ride?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-25-11, 05:33 PM
Rktman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made it!

I made it 64 miles. Full report later with pictures. My thighs are on fire!I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.