Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Motobecane from BikesDirect

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 10:55 PM
merry2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi all....

so, i've been thinking about getting a cafe sprint. does anyone have any experience with this bike? i'm considering the women's version with the mixte frame. i've looked everywhere for a mixte type frame with a road bike like set up with nice components but have not found any. really, the soma fab buena vista frame is the only one but i can't spend $1500 right now to build one up.

the cafe sprint has a carbon fork, deore, etc.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...afe_sprint.htm

i've also thought about the cafe latte which has sora, disc brakes, etc. truth be told, i prefer both of the color choices here but think the features on the sprint are probably better.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tte_x_disc.htm

this bike would be used for commuting, errands, longer 20+ mile rides on roads, training for and riding in a century.

i don't consider myself an overly picky rider. i've been riding a dahon vitesse d7 for a couple of years.

i don't have a problem buying online. i'll try to put it together, if anything for the experience maybe. i'll probably take it to a shop for a tune-up,etc. either way.

i've tried a couple of treks which i wasn't too fond of. and i tried a giant dash which i liked but, again, i really want a mixte style frame. i've been on a specialized vita. the latter has a step-through frame model but with lower components than even the cafe latte. i tried the $1000 model, don't recall which only remember the price and it was fine. lol.

anyway, thanks in advance and any input (as long as you're not telling me to support my local bike shop) would be appreciated.

Old 10-10-12, 12:39 PM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The most important part of buying from BD is determining the right size. Take your sizing measurements using a variety of methods. Contact BD regarding your bike sizing dimensions and intended use for the bike. Ride some bikes with similar geometry and see how they fit. Generally, the most important specifications are effective top tube length and standover height. Good luck, one really can't beat the value of a Motobecane when properly sized.
Old 10-10-12, 01:17 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
I got a Motobecane Fantom CXX from BD earlier this year. The frame looks to be the same frame as the Surly Crosscheck. It was a bit tricky to assemble my CXX, my bf is a bike mechanic so he was happy to do it. Other BD bikes may be easier to assemble. I'm happy with mine and I'd buy from BD again.

I think their bikes are great deals if you want a decent bike to ride and don't care what the brand is.

I saw several BD bikes at a large local organized ride this weekend. The folks riding them looked happy.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 10-11-12, 09:22 PM
eazyasone23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can answers any questions you may have. I've own a Cafe Latte for a couple months now. I believe it got it around late June to use throughout the entire summer.Which I did and now I use it on rollers. I am happy with the bike to be honest. It is no worse than anything else out there. It isn't the lightest but it isn't the heaviest. It's well built. The welds look smooth and well finished on my frame. The sora is decent, but needs to be adjusted obviously when you get the bike and again after it breaks in. I didn't care for the seat and went with a leather one. I also changed the pedals and opted for clipless. I didn't like the handle bar grips and changed those as well. The bike comes well packaged when shipped and takes maybe 45 minutes to build. If I remember correctly you have to install the front wheel, the seat,pedals, handlebars and adjust the brakes.
Old 10-11-12, 10:29 PM
tacomee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure buying a bike you can't test ride is a good idea.... Hunt down a dealer and test ride this bike.

https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/stee...bman-mixte-13/

Good luck!
Old 10-11-12, 11:11 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tacomee
I'm not sure buying a bike you can't test ride is a good idea.... Hunt down a dealer and test ride this bike.

Good luck!
Good advice and the components are much better on the Raleigh.
Old 10-12-12, 12:37 PM
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the Raleigh Clubman Mixte is $1,300, the price for which one could get a Motobecane Cafe Century Pro, with carbon frame and fork, and Ultegra and 105 components. The Motobecane Cafe Sprint with comparable components to the Mixte is $600.

Its not much of a risk purchasing direct if one takes the effort to get the right size. However, there are storefronts in Florida and Texas where one can ride Motobecane bikes.
Old 10-13-12, 12:02 AM
merry2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EsoxLucius
The most important part of buying from BD is determining the right size. Take your sizing measurements using a variety of methods. Contact BD regarding your bike sizing dimensions and intended use for the bike. Ride some bikes with similar geometry and see how they fit. Generally, the most important specifications are effective top tube length and standover height. Good luck, one really can't beat the value of a Motobecane when properly sized.

i took my measurements. to me it seems like the cafe bikes have a shorter ettl that some other bikes i've ridden. i've used the giant dash bike i rode as a reference for best size. they list the geometry for these bikes on their website too.

even though i'm short (5.1) my inseam (down to the floor) is around 31". i have longish limbs. and i notice i can feel cramped on some bikes.

so, i'm leaning toward the 17".

thanks for your input.

Last edited by merry2; 10-13-12 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-13-12, 12:04 AM
merry2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eofelis
I got a Motobecane Fantom CXX from BD earlier this year. The frame looks to be the same frame as the Surly Crosscheck. It was a bit tricky to assemble my CXX, my bf is a bike mechanic so he was happy to do it. Other BD bikes may be easier to assemble. I'm happy with mine and I'd buy from BD again.

I think their bikes are great deals if you want a decent bike to ride and don't care what the brand is.

I saw several BD bikes at a large local organized ride this weekend. The folks riding them looked happy.
i started thinking more seriously about a motobecane after i encountered a guy at the supermarket who said he and his friends liked their bikes.

Last edited by merry2; 10-13-12 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-13-12, 12:09 AM
merry2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eazyasone23
I can answers any questions you may have. I've own a Cafe Latte for a couple months now. I believe it got it around late June to use throughout the entire summer.Which I did and now I use it on rollers. I am happy with the bike to be honest. It is no worse than anything else out there. It isn't the lightest but it isn't the heaviest. It's well built. The welds look smooth and well finished on my frame. The sora is decent, but needs to be adjusted obviously when you get the bike and again after it breaks in. I didn't care for the seat and went with a leather one. I also changed the pedals and opted for clipless. I didn't like the handle bar grips and changed those as well. The bike comes well packaged when shipped and takes maybe 45 minutes to build. If I remember correctly you have to install the front wheel, the seat,pedals, handlebars and adjust the brakes.
oh, that bike looks nice.

would getting a deore derailleur and a carbon fork be enough to sway you to get a cafe sprint? i like the idea of a white bike though. lol. the sprint is like an electric/cobalt blue.

would you take you latte on a century ride? i think i see a place where a kickstand could be mounted. can you put a kickstand on it?

i'm so indecisive.
Old 10-13-12, 12:22 AM
merry2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tacomee

Good luck!
the dahon i bought, the first bike i had and rode as an adult, was bought online without riding it. i've ridden it pretty much happily for more than two years now.

buying a bike online doesn't really bother me as i've had a pretty decent experience in the past and knew far less about bikes than i now know when i made my first purchase.

having said that, that raleigh is a beautiful bike. however, it comes with a hefty price tag i don't care to stomach right now. i don't absolute need a tiagra set up. the cafe sprint beats other comparable bikes on price for the components.

this raleigh will join the list of "higher end" mixtes with a road bike set-up i'd like to eventually consider purchasing - they are not easy to find, so thanks for pointing that out. it must be a new model.
Old 10-13-12, 03:09 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Originally Posted by merry2

would getting a deore derailleur and a carbon fork be enough to sway you to get a cafe sprint? i like the idea of a white bike though. lol. the sprint is like an electric/cobalt blue.

would you take you latte on a century ride? i think i see a place where a kickstand could be mounted. can you put a kickstand on it?

i'm so indecisive.
Just by looking at that bike you can tell a century would be no problem. I kickstand could be mounted at the rear easily.
Old 10-13-12, 08:42 AM
fattybikejones
Singlespeed Converted!

Bikes: !. Bridgestone 300 SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have purchased 3 bikes now from BD. My latest is a Gravity Zilla monster cross.
These guys stand behind their product and you really will be hard pressed to find a better specs
Bike for the money. The Moto frames are probably some of the nicer of the lot. I recommend
BD 100%!
Old 10-13-12, 08:49 AM
merry2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Just by looking at that bike you can tell a century would be no problem. I kickstand could be mounted at the rear easily.

you could theoretically do a century on any bike - a 20" wheeled dahon, a brompton, a unicycle, etc.

i asked him/her how he/she would feel about taking his/her bike on a century.
Old 10-13-12, 08:57 AM
merry2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fattybikejones
I have purchased 3 bikes now from BD. My latest is a Gravity Zilla monster cross.
These guys stand behind their product and you really will be hard pressed to find a better specs
Bike for the money. The Moto frames are probably some of the nicer of the lot. I recommend
BD 100%!
i think this is becoming a question of aesthetics vs components for me. i know that the components on the sprint would cost at least $1000 on a comparable giant or specialized. and i want to get the most for my money. but i'm not as smitten with the cobalt blue color.

however, the cafe latte and cafe latte disc have colors that appeal to me more - white, gray or purple. they come with the sora, no carbon fork, etc.

i'm not a pro or anything so obviously i don't need the highest level. but, i want the biggest bang for my buck. honestly, both lattes are still great bargains. their parts aren't shabby.

thx for your reply.
Old 10-13-12, 09:22 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

you could theoretically do a century on any bike - a 20" wheeled dahon, a brompton, a unicycle, etc.

i asked him/her how he/she would feel about taking his/her bike on a century.
Soooooo (??) you aren't actually interested in if the bike is capable of a ride of distance, but only if that particular rider feels they can complete a century on their bike. Got it.

BTW maybe this could be a good buy too.... https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...w/11529/55912/

or.... https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...w/11529/55917/

Last edited by giantcfr1; 10-13-12 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-13-12, 09:56 AM
merry2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Soooooo (??) you aren't actually interested in if the bike is capable of a ride of distance, but only if that particular rider feels they can complete a century on their bike. Got it.

BTW maybe this could be a good buy too.... https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...w/11529/55912/

or.... https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...w/11529/55917/

i wanted that person's experience riding that bike long distance.

at one point, i considered buying another folding bike for this purpose. i would ask a person who has done a century on a folding bike about their experience doing that. i think it's a perfectly sane question.

and that giant bike, despite its brand name, is not in the same league as the bikes i've listed. a brand name in and of itself doesn't mean it's the best bike. these bikes compare more with the dash line just based on specs. it's just a poor suggestion considering i'm deciding between bikes with carbon forks, better derailleurs, better shifters, better lots of things, than this particular giant you've presented as an "option."
Old 10-13-12, 04:13 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Sorry to make a suggestion, I was only trying to help you. It seems that when it comes to lower grade components we have different views. I have never purchased sora or lower parts before so I admit I don't have a true hands-on grasp of those components you desire. I'm sure you will be happy with your DirectBikes choice.
Old 10-14-12, 12:44 AM
eazyasone23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm so indecisive.
Yes there is room to mount a kick stand. I use one of those fold up ones that slide under the pedal actually. I have a deore derailleur on a fuji road bike and it is a smoother than sora to be completely honest. As for the CF fork, I never really noticed much difference, but I am sure others will say otherwise. I always wear gloves so I never notice the difference.

I would take it for a century ride. If properly tuned, I would be able to take the journey. I would only add some bar ends or even tri-bars to prevent numb-ness on the century.
Old 10-14-12, 01:20 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

... As for the CF fork, I never really noticed much difference...
I agree as I have bikes with carbon forks and bikes with rigid. The forks being carbon would not be a purchasing point for me when buying a bike. I admit carbon looks better in my opinion though but as for absorbing road vibration, nyet.

Last edited by giantcfr1; 10-14-12 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-14-12, 03:00 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cafe Latte is sick!!! But man i have a hard time justifying 4 bills on a flat bar bike. On Craigs some guy from around here had his stolen
Old 10-14-12, 11:38 AM
merry2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes there is room to mount a kick stand. I use one of those fold up ones that slide under the pedal actually. I have a deore derailleur on a fuji road bike and it is a smoother than sora to be completely honest. As for the CF fork, I never really noticed much difference, but I am sure others will say otherwise. I always wear gloves so I never notice the difference.

I would take it for a century ride. If properly tuned, I would be able to take the journey. I would only add some bar ends or even tri-bars to prevent numb-ness on the century.

i think i was thinking a carbon fork would lessen the wrist issues that might arise from riding some distance. i once rented a montague for a 30-mile ride and my wrists were very sore at the end of it. but the tri bars seem to be a good idea.

there's an option with disc brakes. do you think disc brakes on a latte make sense?

i think right now, i probably don't need to be concerned with the smoothness of the derailleur. i doubt the one i'm riding on is as smooth as the sora. i'm think you're helping me make up my mind. thanks.
Old 10-14-12, 11:41 AM
merry2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
Cafe Latte is sick!!! But man i have a hard time justifying 4 bills on a flat bar bike. On Craigs some guy from around here had his stolen
that eliminates a lot of bikes. i guess because in l.a., there is that fixie culture with straight bars. is that why it might get stolen where you are?

don't know. i think a lot of people riding nowadays have straight bars on their bikes, at least when i look around in l.a. - people are riding their single speeders or hybrids.

i plan to get a better lock myself.

but that latte pic that is posted is quite sexy.
Old 10-14-12, 09:13 PM
eazyasone23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think i was thinking a carbon fork would lessen the wrist issues that might arise from riding some distance. i once rented a montague for a 30-mile ride and my wrists were very sore at the end of it. but the tri bars seem to be a good idea.

there's an option with disc brakes. do you think disc brakes on a latte make sense?

i think right now, i probably don't need to be concerned with the smoothness of the derailleur. i doubt the one i'm riding on is as smooth as the sora. i'm think you're helping me make up my mind. thanks.
To answer your question disc brakes are not really needed if you ask me. It would probably stop better in the rain than the old style pads would, but unless your going to take the bike down a trail I wouldn't bother. As long as you keep your v-brakes well adjusted and your rims cleaned you should be fine with the old style pads. Plus the v-brakes are easier to adjust and probably cheaper to maintain.

Now I looked over both bikes that you were looking at. Both priced the same, I would probably go with the one with better components. Which to me seems to be the sprint. It looks to have better wheels, better components and a CF, while the other seems to just have the disc brakes.

A couple months ago I was having the same issue on deciding on a new bike and because I never brought a bike from BD, I went with the cheaper option and to be honest I don't regret my decision. The bike has been solid. The paint looks nice, works as it should, rides really smooth and fairly fast for a non-road bike. Quiet on my metal rollers for indoor riding.

I hope I was able to help with your decision, and if you have any other questions or need a different picture for whatever reason just let me know.
Old 10-14-12, 09:14 PM
eazyasone23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

but that latte pic that is posted is quite sexy.
Thanks!