Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rigid Fork vs Susp Fork on Road/Light Trail Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rigid Fork vs Susp Fork on Road/Light Trail Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 10:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked 5,507 Times in 2,792 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
Mike, I think you're going for the wrong type of bike ....
Seems some part of "He's already bought the bike" is hard to grasp.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-18-24, 10:52 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5005 Post(s)
Liked 8,175 Times in 3,867 Posts
Mike, I think you're going for the wrong type of bike and trying to adapt it to the right type of bike for your use...
As I understand it, he is using the bike for communing as well as other recreational uses. His choice seems pretty darn versatile for a wide range of conditions, and adaptable if his needs change.

When I was commuting, I rode my road race bike. It served my needs just fine.
Old 04-18-24, 11:16 AM
MikeDeason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Light trail on the weekend. Generally hard-pack dirt some hard gravel.. And 25km commute weekdays in dense urban areas mostly in segregated bike lanes but some curb hopping necessary to stay alive.

deposit is in. I can bail on the deposit but unless the geometry issue with the rigid fork is something I’m just not comprehending, I will stick with it.
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 04-18-24, 11:20 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by MikeDeason
Light trail on the weekend. Generally hard-pack dirt some hard gravel.. And 25km commute weekdays in dense urban areas mostly in segregated bike lanes but some curb hopping necessary to stay alive.

deposit is in. I can bail on the deposit but unless the geometry issue with the rigid fork is something I’m just not comprehending, I will stick with it.
The fork is built for that bike. No issues.
Old 04-18-24, 11:21 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
It's your money, do whatever you want.

That's what I do.

That's why I never, and have never asked for bicycle advice ever, here or anywhere.

I do what I want, so I don't bother bringing it up otherwise I'd be trolling.
Old 04-18-24, 11:31 AM
MikeDeason

If I knew stuff about bikes I might take that approach. I rode the same Norco hybrid bike to work for 25 yrs and never once read anything online or otherwise about bikes.

between forums and Google you can build up some knowledge pretty quick.

Knowledge is power

that’s my strategy
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 04-18-24, 12:16 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 206 Posts
This is too hardcore of a bike for commuting. Rack & fender options are severely limited.

Raising and pulling the bar back far enough for this upright comfort you're after is going to mess up the steering geometry. Front end will get ... nervous, at best. I know because I did this on my Aventon Level.2. Can't ride no-handed any more; it immediately starts to wobble. With the stock stem, it was a non-issue. When I go grocery shopping and put 40 lbs. of groceries on the back rack, it's even worse; I have to be careful. I'll probably put the stock stem back on it.

I also question why you're stuck on a flat bar. What do folks think is so great about having only one hand position? ...or two if you add the silly-looking bar ends ...or having one's arms spread wide, so the torso catches the wind like a sail? With the kind of riding you're saying, you don't need the leverage of a wide bar.

I think you'll find out in the fulness of time that I'm right.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong, and I wish you the best and I hope you'll keep us updated on how she goes.
Old 04-18-24, 12:26 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 402 Posts
This is way more bike than I’d ever buy to commute, but it’s gonna be one hell of a fun commuter. I assume you’re not taking out a second mortgage or selling a kidney to afford it. If it were me, I’d go with the rigid fork, throw on a Ritchey Kyote handlebar and some decent 2ish inch tires. No rack mounts is a con, but there are solutions to that, like frame bags or bike packing racks.
Old 04-18-24, 12:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

This is too hardcore of a bike for commuting. Rack & fender options are severely limited.

Raising and pulling the bar back far enough for this upright comfort you're after is going to mess up the steering geometry. Front end will get ... nervous, at best. I know because I did this on my Aventon Level.2. Can't ride no-handed any more; it immediately starts to wobble. With the stock stem, it was a non-issue. When I go grocery shopping and put 40 lbs. of groceries on the back rack, it's even worse; I have to be careful. I'll probably put the stock stem back on it.

I also question why you're stuck on a flat bar. What do folks think is so great about having only one hand position? ...or two if you add the silly-looking bar ends ...or having one's arms spread wide, so the torso catches the wind like a sail? With the kind of riding you're saying, you don't need the leverage of a wide bar.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong, and I wish you the best and I hope you'll keep us updated on how she goes.
Changing the stem length/angle will have zero impact on how a bike handles when riding no-handed.
Old 04-18-24, 12:31 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 402 Posts

I don’t see the point in trying to compare this bike’s handling with a (no offense) fairly low end e-bike with front suspension. Also I think it’s more than reasonable for someone to prefer a flat bar for commuting, even more so with bar ends, even if someone thinks they’re ugly
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-18-24, 12:47 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
I don’t see the point in trying to compare this bike’s handling with a (no offense) fairly low end e-bike with front suspension. Also I think it’s more than reasonable for someone to prefer a flat bar for commuting, even more so with bar ends, even if someone thinks they’re ugly
On the aesthetic question, I've always used flat bars (riser for mtb; narrow/flat with bar ends for road riding) and have never thought of them as ugly! Now that I think of it, I can also report that after 10s of thousands of kilometres my arms have yet to fall off; one would think they would have by now given some of the theorizing here on teh Biek Formz.

I think my bike is quite 'pretty' and well-suited to this old b_gg_r's riding ... but that's just me.
Old 04-18-24, 01:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

In the fulness of time OP will regret choosing the Orbea over a budget ebike?
Old 04-18-24, 01:29 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 141 Posts
If I knew stuff about bikes I might take that approach. I rode the same Norco hybrid bike to work for 25 yrs and never once read anything online or otherwise about bikes.

between forums and Google you can build up some knowledge pretty quick.

Knowledge is power

that’s my strategy
You should spend some time on google and YouTube studying frame geometry for mtn bikes, gravel bikes, and road bikes, if you’re really interested. It’s not just whether you go with a ridged fork or not, there’s a lot to it.

If not, hopefully you’ll love the new carbon fiber beastie.
Old 04-18-24, 01:49 PM
MikeDeason

Here’s what I don’t get.

Raising/lowering the seat post and angling and or raising or lowering the handlebars makes the geometry adjustable.
Old 04-18-24, 01:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Here’s what I don’t get.

Raising/lowering the seat post and angling and or raising or lowering the handlebars makes the geometry adjustable.
Those things adjust your body's position on the bike, but they do not change the geometry of the bike itself. With bicycles, the term "geometry" typically refers to lengths and angles of frame tubes, or segments of the frame.
Old 04-18-24, 02:07 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 382 Posts
That Orbea certainly is sweet loooking! A couple of things to note about mountain bikes vs. the hybrid that you currently are using:

1 - Mountain bike bars are often quite wide for maximum control. Do you have any narrow gaps on your commute?
2 - Mountain bikes are usually specced with longer crank arms than road or hybrid bikes. You'll notice it if you're a spinner.

Also, that Thudbuster will no doubt smooth out the ride but the Orbea has such clean lines that it'll look like a roof rack on a Ferarri. Someone else mentioned a cleaner suspension seatpost. I'd recommend that, or just try it without a suspension seatpost at all at first and find a tire pressure that rolls and if comfy.

Best of luck. Be sure to post pics and a ride report when you get it!
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 04-18-24, 02:10 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 141 Posts
Here’s what I don’t get.

as Eric F said, it has to do with headtube, and seatube angles, top tube length, chainstay lengths, headtube length, and a few others. I’m sure there’s books upon books written on it.

it isn’t adjustable, it’s the way your frame is designed, and it’s a big part of what makes bikes different from each other.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 04-18-24 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-18-24, 05:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,327 Posts
If you are intent on adding some dampening, you might be able to use a Lauf fork if you can get the right axle-crown/offset to match your rigid fork.

Redshift makes stems that will also provide some dampening.

John
Old 04-19-24, 08:46 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Originally Posted by bboy314
Well, my point was that part of his use case for the bike is for commuting with steep uphills from stop. Nothing beats an eBike here in terms of arriving to work not sweaty.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
In the fulness of time OP will regret choosing the Orbea over a budget ebike?
Sorry: fullness.
Yes, I think so. At least if he was open-minded enough to even consider an eBike, which a lot of you aren't. Instead, you're fixated on how high-end brands and components are considered. They're not for everybody, just people who want to be able to choose how much work they do or who want to be able to choose to go fast even when conditions aren't right for it on an mBike.

Now this is not a put-down to the OP. He's gotta do what he feels is right. I was just trying to make the point that a mountain bike was not a great choice for his stated use case. He WANTS a mountain bike anyway, so he went for it. Fine. I just think he's going to learn later that he bought the wrong tool for the job and then spent a bunch more money trying to adapt it to the job, rather than just buying The Right Tool to begin with. (and for the same money) My position just didn't consider his WANTS as much as his NEEDS. Wants are important too.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-19-24, 09:05 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,817 Posts
Seems some part of "He's already bought the bike" is hard to grasp.
It is hard to find. I just happened to see your post before I committed the same offense.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-19-24, 09:34 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
It is hard to find. I just happened to see your post before I committed the same offense.
I found the clue in the first sentence of the OP.
Old 04-19-24, 09:57 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,817 Posts
First 3 words ...
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-19-24, 09:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Sorry: fullness.
No, they are both correct though the one L spelling is mostly used in religious context. I actually appreciate an interesting phrase, that's why I repeated it. I don't disagree with much of what you've posted, only that 1) OP has already ordered the bike, can't leave the LBS on the hook for it. 2) From the beginning of this multi-post journey he made it clear he only wanted specific high end components. He never asked for advice about suitability. I say let him run with it, see how it works out.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-19-24, 10:10 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Originally Posted by Eric F
Changing the stem length/angle will have zero impact on how a bike handles when riding no-handed.
False.
A stem that brings the bar further back and up changes the weight distribution of the steering.
Old 04-19-24, 10:15 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

No, they are both correct though the one L spelling is mostly used in religious context. I actually appreciate an interesting phrase, that's why I repeated it. I don't disagree with much of what you've posted, only that 1) OP has already ordered the bike, can't leave the LBS on the hook for it. 2) From the beginning of this multi-post journey he made it clear he only wanted specific high end components. He never asked for advice about suitability. I say let him run with it, see how it works out.
Thanks for the clarification.

The OP was very forthcoming with the fact that he is not (yet) what he would call a bike mechanic. He's learning as he goes. I thought I would point out things I learned in a similar journey.

{tangent}I too have had my mind set on a bike that turned out to not be the best possible purchase, but which I HAD to have anyway. Most recently, it was my 1972 Schwinn Varsity, which is 37 lbs. and has junky brakes, but it looks THE BUSINESS to me!

One guy even recommended I buy it, but rather than spend money fixing up a low performance bike, just hang it on the wall, since what I REALLY want is to look at it.

1972 Schwinn Varsity: steel EVERYTHING
{/tangent}

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.