Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Cannondale singlespeed stolen in Santa Barbara area

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 01:15 PM
akdmx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately my 1986 Cannondale st-500 singlespeed conversion was stolen over the halloween weekend here in Santa Barbara. Here's a picture of the bike:

Distinguishable features include:
-salsa chain ring with about 3mm of clearance from the chain-stay
-easton ea70 low-rise handlebars
-Odyssey pedals, I forget the model, but not factory
-Dropouts are dremelled out to get perfect chain tension
-White cable housing
-Continental ulta tires (the cheapos)
-This bike has 27" wheels, and 126mm spacing in the rear drop outs, it's virtually useless!!

You never see these things around, so if someone sees it, or the frame for sale in the santa barbara area, please let me know.

I filed a police report and a claim with my property insurance company, hopefully they will hook me up.
But I'm still out a 45 dollar on-guard lock
Old 11-08-09, 01:57 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Why would you do that to a bike?!
Old 11-08-09, 02:09 PM
shubonker
danke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some guy locked his brand new 2010 Capo in the city the other day with a tiny little cable lock around the frame. He's living dangerously.

As for your misfortune, my sympathies.
Old 11-08-09, 02:31 PM
akdmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboIsGod
Why would you do that to a bike?!

I'm exactly what you're referring to when you say "that", but if you meant the modifications -- UCSB is an entirely flat campus; I don't need gears, furthermore it's nice to have less moving parts to get corroded and rusted in the rain. I'm in college, I don't have time to keep my bike running perfectly anymore. As for the flat bars, they are way more comfortable when you're riding around on bumpy bike paths with heavy traffic. I didn't seek this bike out for this, I made modifications to what I was given to work with.

If by "that" you were referring to the action of stealing a nice bike like this, let me console you by saying that when I see the poor fool riding this bike around campus I will make sure it's the last bike that he or she ever steals.
Old 11-08-09, 04:31 PM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
by that he means dremel dropouts and ride with what appears to be a dented driveside chainstay. But I know what you mean about working with what you've got.
Old 11-08-09, 04:43 PM
akdmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stryper
by that he means dremel dropouts and ride with what appears to be a dented driveside chainstay. But I know what you mean about working with what you've got.

Dremel dropouts:
-I played with half links and it wasn't good enough for me. By taking off about 1-2mm I achieved perfect chain tension and the wheel is (was) still centered. It's hard to explain, but trust me when I say that it wasn't "janky", I did it slowly and carefully. SERIOUSLY what should I have done? Ridden with a slack chain? A chain tensioner is out of the question because of the spacing of the freewheel relative to the dropouts. Most chain tensioners on the market are designed to work with singlespeed hubs, or conversions done with a free hub. Freewheels (on a threaded hub) are so far from the point of attachment for a derraileur that most tensioners wont reach (gusset, soulcraft, surly style)

Chainstay:
-Those aren't dented. They come creased from the factory to make way for the crank arm. There's actually a second crease right by the chain ring, too, to compensate for the biopace rings that were on there originally.
Old 11-08-09, 05:15 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
You might want to check the local flea markets around there... a flea market is a thieves showroom...

And when you do hopefully get it back or get another bike; you might want to invest in a better u lock; not all u locks are built equal.
Old 11-08-09, 05:26 PM
arcade
vice campaign

Bikes: 1980's Melton track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word, you should've spent the day at the flea market at the old drive-in today.
santa barbara's a small town. I would think it would turn up sooner or later. Make sure you don't jump to the conclusion that the person you see riding it is the thief, too. Could have already been sold to an unknowing person.
Old 11-08-09, 06:10 PM
teedoff087
neato

Bikes: 2010 Moto Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arcade
Make sure you don't jump to the conclusion that the person you see riding it is the thief, too. Could have already been sold to an unknowing person.
This. To verify if they stole it or not, tackle them first. Hard. Make sure you have an ether-soaked rag handy. Once they're unconscious, take your bike back, making sure you leave the address of a public phone booth and a time that you will call (make sure you know the number). If they didn't steal the bike, they'll show up. If not, it looks like you narrowed it all down.

Don't worry about assault charges.
Old 11-08-09, 06:56 PM
akdmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang, that method sounds very refined and perfected, maybe even practiced.
Old 11-08-09, 07:06 PM
teedoff087
neato

Bikes: 2010 Moto Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only in GTA.
Old 11-08-09, 08:41 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
i understand the whole 'working with what you got' concept. but to modify dropouts and completely gut a bike; that is completely uncalled for. your modifying a bike to do something it was oviously not intended for. you want a beater/simple commuter, then get a cheap 10 speed off craigslist or get a bike off bikesdirect. the lengths you went to to modify that bike were completely uncalled for, and to be frank i think you ruined a bike that needed no altering (I dont even like em a whole lot, but cannondales are in no way conversion bikes).
Old 11-08-09, 08:49 PM
RoboIsGod

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
and FYI: that cannondale retailed for $550 back in '86, which is roughly $1200 today.
Old 11-08-09, 11:31 PM
akdmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboIsGod
i understand the whole 'working with what you got' concept. but to modify dropouts and completely gut a bike; that is completely uncalled for. your modifying a bike to do something it was oviously not intended for. you want a beater/simple commuter, then get a cheap 10 speed off craigslist or get a bike off bikesdirect. the lengths you went to to modify that bike were completely uncalled for, and to be frank i think you ruined a bike that needed no altering (I dont even like em a whole lot, but cannondales are in no way conversion bikes).
Since I already justified my actions as a way of making this bike usable for what I needed to do with it and you continue to present the same argument, I'll have to assume you're just one of those ignorant "purists" with something to prove.

It actually was "called for" to dremel the drop outs, otherwise the chain would have been slack.

In terms of the bikes suitability as a flat-bar road bike; I find the fact that this was once a touring bike to work to its advantage, as many other flat bar conversions become far to short to ride comfortably after eliminating the drop bars. It's fine that you're not a cannondale dude, I'm not either, but as you may have (actually, clearly didn't) understand the first time -- this was what I was given to work with.

Normally I wouldn't be so contentious, but your obvious lack of understanding for the adjustments I made to have this bike better suit my needs. It doesn't matter to me what kind of bikes you prefer, or how deep your pockets are that enable all of your builds to be ideal.

Feel free to continue expressing yourself; I appreciate the opportunity to bump my thread.
Old 11-09-09, 12:16 AM
arcade
vice campaign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i really don't think he gives a **** what you guys have to say about his bike. It's missing. He already has that on his plate, you don't need to give him **** because the bike doesn't look like it would if it was yours.... swear to god man... some people.
Old 11-09-09, 12:16 AM
arcade
vice campaign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
p.s. BUMP
Old 11-09-09, 12:20 AM
preston811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah no kidding leave him alone IMO it sucks having a bike stolen
Old 11-09-09, 12:27 AM
arcade
vice campaign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha... "IMO"... i don't think it's just your opinion that having a bike stolen sucks. i know, i know... force of habit.
Old 11-09-09, 12:33 AM
chaifilms
GoldMember

Bikes: 70's Fuji Sport 10 SS Conversion, 70's Raleigh Gran Sport Fixed Conversion (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
signature

Originally Posted by akdmx

Feel free to continue expressing yourself; I appreciate the opportunity to bump my thread.
You are now my signature

Sorry about your bike, it looks like a fun ride to me.

Last edited by chaifilms; 11-09-09 at 12:35 AM. Reason: adding
Old 11-09-09, 12:47 AM
preston811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arcade
haha... "IMO"... i don't think it's just your opinion that having a bike stolen sucks. i know, i know... force of habit.
yeah actually that occurred to me when I wrote that but the IMO referred more to the 1st part of my sentence, the leave him alone part
Old 11-09-09, 01:46 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck getting your bike back. Do you know which model of lock it was and how it was defeated?
Old 11-09-09, 02:07 AM
akdmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how the lock was defeated, it wasn't there. Nothing was there.
It was either a Pitbul STD or a Brute STD (on-guard brand). Unfortunately I didn't get around to registering the lock to activate the policy. The good news is that I have property insurance which will most likely cover me.

Whats the best U-lock out there? Or does one really have to go with the mondo chain to feel safe?
Old 11-09-09, 02:29 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by akdmx
I don't know how the lock was defeated, it wasn't there. Nothing was there.
It was either a Pitbul STD or a Brute STD (on-guard brand). Unfortunately I didn't get around to registering the lock to activate the policy. The good news is that I have property insurance which will most likely cover me.

Whats the best U-lock out there? Or does one really have to go with the mondo chain to feel safe?
Kryptonite NY locks are highly rated. What was it locked to?
Old 11-09-09, 03:00 AM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it was locked to his bike. What do you mean what was it locked to? Do you usually put your lock on something else.

wait a minute....................are you supposed to put the lock on the bike and something else. I knew I was doing something wrong
Old 11-09-09, 03:25 AM
wheeldeal
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Bikes: Huffy and Pacific

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and you think this is funny because....... ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.