Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How to reduce sweating?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How to reduce sweating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 03:27 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Good luck, been trying to sweat less most of my 52 years. If it is over 50 degrees I will be sweaty. If it is over 70 I will walk and sweat, at least in a humid climate. The only things which seem to help is conditioning and having a good breeze.
That being said, I commute part time to work. I have a place to dry clothes without being where people have to deal with them. I am one of the crazies who can bathe out of a sink, so can sponge off when I get to work. My boss is a mountain biker, is native to FL, sweats like crazy when he rides, and says it's just part of normal life.
Old 04-06-17, 04:22 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
harshbarj, when did Omaha convert to the metric system?
Likes For BassNotBass:
Old 04-06-17, 02:56 PM
Limpingbass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kylenstone
The key to staying dry for me is to reduce any "backpacks" or items strapped to my body to an absolute minimum.

Get the weight on your bike, and you'll be cooled down substantially by the wind. If you have a wicking shirt, it'll work much better without a messenger bag attached to your back.
This is the biggest thing I noticed in my commute. I purchased an osprey bike backpack with their airspace technology, and I still sweat like a pig in the 40 degree weather, no matter however slow I go.

Another thing to consider is to wear arm/leg warmers in the beginning of a ride to be slightly chilly and take them off once you get warm enough.
Old 04-09-17, 05:05 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6000 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
The trick is not to heat up. It possible to maintain a decent pace (for me that's about 20 km/h) without sweating, but cooling down after heating up and keeping a decent pace is much more difficult. So if you start sweating you slowed down too late, and you'll keep sweating.

Don't dress for standing still or a relaxed stroll, just be cold for the first kilometer. Adjust your clothes while riding and use the ride wind to cool down, sitting upright might help. Get to know your body, notice it when you start heating up and plan in advance, especially when you see hills coming. Ride efficiently, let the legs do the work and keep your body still, steer a straight line, carry speed, speed up slowly, avoid bursts of power, stay off the brakes when you can.
Old 04-09-17, 09:54 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Simple... Pedal assist/E-bike. Works for me. You set the level of exertion that you want to spend for the bicycling activity (commute, exercise, pleasure ride, carrying gear/shopping.)
Old 04-09-17, 06:22 PM
RickyD

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge elite dsw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I am wondering if your real concern is swelling at work???

Sweating is pretty hard to stop, if you actually want to get there faster than walking....

If you wear the right clothes, clothes that wick away moisture, and you have a change of clothes at work, and you shower before your ride, you will not smell. Get to work with enough time to cool down a little and let the sweat sink into you biking clothes, change, and all is good.
This is what I do. My girlfriend says absolutely no cologne as it with my funk may make things worse LOL

You may want to try baby wipes at work
Old 06-19-21, 06:19 AM
satrain18

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
Slowing down works for me. I ride 8 km each way to work, in a very hilly area, and simply take it slow. On hills I average about 6-7 km/h, while on flats I easily keep a brisk pace of 20 km/h. So my average per trip sits around 15-20.
3-4 mph is average walking speed, meaning that you most likely dismount and walk up hills.
Old 06-19-21, 04:20 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18
3-4 mph is average walking speed, meaning that you most likely dismount and walk up hills.
You've replied to a four-year old thread.

I sweat at the drop of a hat. If my destination doesn't have facilities to freshen up in, the least I do is bring a sweat rag and wear appropriate clothes. I may also ride my bike with the rack bag containing spare underwear etc.

I don't like to stew in my own juice if it can be avoided.
Old 06-20-21, 10:50 AM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
ride faster and/or into the wind?
gm