Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo/Garmin/etc curious

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo/Garmin/etc curious

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 01:26 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Novo
Bit late to chime on this post but just swapped my Roam V1 for a V2 but also tried the 1040 as I use a Forerunner 955 and figured the integration would be nice. First someone above compared it like Apple and Android and that's very much Wahoo (Apple) and Garmin (Android). Personally I like my phone to be Android where you have the latest features that are typically years away from being released on Apple. When the time came to switch from the Roam V1, I naturally assumed Garmin was the way to go since not only does it integrate so I don't need the watch the record or process anything but it also gives more features than the Roam. With that said, I realized that while I'm riding (or when stopped), I don't care about most of those features. I look at everything after the ride on my phone anyway and not the head unit. It's very difficult to go to a Garmin unit after running a Wahoo simply by just how well the Wahoo works vs the Garmin which will sometimes switch fields on me during an update, not give notifications during the ride and other tiny quirks. Also one thing I noticed was a bit of lag on the Garmin when doing little climbs. I'd be on a decent gradient and it's still showing me as being flat for 10 or 15 seconds. There's some lag on the Wahoo as well but not nearly as much. With all that said, the better "ecosystem" that's more intuitive is simply Wahoo even though I dislike that idea because it would be nice to just live in the Garmin world since I'll be using their watches for the foreseeable future. Maybe in the next 4 or 5 years they will catch up and I'll look again, but for now the top cycling computer of the two brands is easily the Roam V2
I think a lot depends on people's uses and preferences. I've had the Bolt v1 and v2, and the Roam v1 -- though not the Roam v2. In comparison to the Wahoo computers I've tried, the Garmin 1040 is faster, more accurate and more precise...And so far, it has been entirely glitch-free. The Wahoos are a bit easier to configure initially (mainly due to the phone app, which makes setup a breeze), but the 1040's touchscreen makes it pretty easy for that model, too. And while the setup is a one-time thing, the 1040's touchscreen allows me to easily reconfigure a screen on-the-fly if I want to -- I can do it while riding my bike.

The only three negatives I can think of for the 1040 are (1) cost, (2) size, and (3) no buttons, if you're into that. For me, 2 and 3 are non-issues -- in fact, the size is a plus at my age.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-13-23, 05:50 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The only three negatives I can think of for the 1040 are (1) cost, (2) size, and (3) no buttons, if you're into that. For me, 2 and 3 are non-issues -- in fact, the size is a plus at my age.
I've got the Edge Explore 2 which is only marginally smaller than the 1040 and the screen size is great. Really easy to back all my important data into one screen and be able to see it clearly during the ride.
Old 04-13-23, 05:54 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Novo
Also one thing I noticed was a bit of lag on the Garmin when doing little climbs. I'd be on a decent gradient and it's still showing me as being flat for 10 or 15 seconds. There's some lag on the Wahoo as well but not nearly as much.
I notice same thing on brand new Edge Explore 2. The algorithm for displaying grade seems to be either highly delayed or simply averages over a long period because you can get on a steep grade and not see it reflected for about ten seconds. Wish they'd tweak this or offer an "instantaneous grade" type feature.
Old 04-17-23, 03:47 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I'd recommend checking out Bryton too. I've been very satisfied with my Rider 750 (and my 420 before that). Combined I've put nearly 25000km on my Bryton units without any issues whatsoever. They offer about 90% of what Garmin does (and probably even more % than that with the new S800) for a considerably lower price than Garmin / Wahoo.