Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 1040 | sensors dropping

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 09:20 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

Firmware version 16.13 for the Edge 1040 Series is now available. This update can be downloaded through Garmin Express or Garmin Connect Mobile when available.This is now Live (100%) as of 3/17/23.
Changes made from version 16.11 to 16.13:

Fixed bug causing sensors to sometimes fail to connect automatically
NOPE!

I've been using my 1040 Solar nearly daily since October 2022; I don't recall when it updated to v16.13, but starting April 10, 2023 my sensors are all getting dropped.
All sensors. Different bikes including: Garmin Varia, Ticker, Quarq, Garmin Rally XC100, Garmin speed sensor. I have been able to power down and restart the 1040 to get sensors to connect; however, this sucks and not always an option. Losing connection with the Varia is VERY UPSETTING! This bug is very frustrating and there's no rhyme or reason the the 1040 dropping the sensors and no clear path to get the sensors back.

Anybody know a hack/fix until Garmin figures out fixing this stupid bug?

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 04-24-23 at 09:22 AM. Reason: formating
Old 04-24-23, 10:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Once maybe twice a year I have a SNAFU with various Garmin sensors. It mysteriously resolves itself for the intervening period of time. This is both with my current Edge 530 and my old Edge 500. I think once I went through the issues over the course of a few consecutive rides. Maybe yours will go away soon too.

If you have sensors that do both Bluetooth and Ant+, I'd always recommend you do the Ant+ pairing. Bluetooth actually has it's own share of issues that are outside of Garmin's control. Might be worth taking a look at what sensors show up as being saved to your Edge 1040 when you are well out of range of the sensors on the bike. If they don't show up as being saved/added to your 1040, then that might indicate you are doing something wrong. Though I don't know what that be since all you really do now is select add sensor and the rest is magic.

You can go in and re-name all your sensors too. I did. That way I know that I'm seeing my sensor and not the sensor ID of someone else nearby when I'm around other cyclists.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-24-23, 12:33 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Iride01
Once maybe twice a year I have a SNAFU with various Garmin sensors. It mysteriously resolves itself for the intervening period of time. This is both with my current Edge 530 and my old Edge 500. I think once I went through the issues over the course of a few consecutive rides. Maybe yours will go away soon too.

If you have sensors that do both Bluetooth and Ant+, I'd always recommend you do the Ant+ pairing. Bluetooth actually has it's own share of issues that are outside of Garmin's control. Might be worth taking a look at what sensors show up as being saved to your Edge 1040 when you are well out of range of the sensors on the bike. If they don't show up as being saved/added to your 1040, then that might indicate you are doing something wrong. Though I don't know what that be since all you really do now is select add sensor and the rest is magic.

You can go in and re-name all your sensors too. I did. That way I know that I'm seeing my sensor and not the sensor ID of someone else nearby when I'm around other cyclists.
I recently updated my sensor names because I've got a couple bike with different sensors (this really helps!).

My old 1030 would give me an alert when it'd drop the Varia, but that always resolved itself without any effort on my part. And that's the part that has me most frustrated, I can see my Varia is on (it's a light!), and I can get my Vivoactive 4 watch connect with the Varia. So it's clear that the new top-end Edge is the problem, not the sensors. [/rant]

I'll be back out in a few minutes to see if everybody is happy after getting turned off, I'll post an update tomorrow.
Old 04-24-23, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I does take Garmin some time to get things worked out. You're on the bleeding edge of Garmin's technology with your Edge 1040. So you'll just have to to suffer the growing pains till Garmin figures out all the different real world issues that happen outside of the development testing that went on.

Although the devices look similar to the old Edges they replaced, I'm sure there is enough new stuff on the actual circuit boards that make for unexpected headaches.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-25-23, 06:37 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I have to think there was a software update to get the 540, 840 and 1040 all on the same basic software platform, and this new cross-platform software broke something in the 1040. It's annoying, but Garmin continues to be the best game in the town. I've been using an Edge device for nearly 10 years, starting with the 510.
Yesterday, I went on three rides with two different bikes, I continued to have issues with all sensors dropping. The last ride, I looked at Garmin Connect to see that some of the power, cadence, heart rate info recorded, but did not show on my Edge 1040 Solar.
I did a factory reset late yesterday, kinda hate doing this, but Garmin has made it less painful with Garmin Connect remembering your activity settings and sensors. So far, the only thing I tested was my Varia, it worked for the first time all day. I'll get out for a ride later today and will post an update.
Old 04-25-23, 03:48 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I rode the gravel bike today, and the Varia, Tickr, and Rally pedals all worked fine. It appears factory reset fixed this issue. The only (minor) issue for me was needing to reload my favorite Garmin IQ data field (WindFields), easy enough to get it back ... but the data screen migration didn't bring it over with all the other data fields.

I'll test the road bike tomorrow to see that the Quarq and speed sensor are happy too.
Old 04-25-23, 04:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I rode the gravel bike today, and the Varia, Tickr, and Rally pedals all worked fine. It appears factory reset fixed this issue. The only (minor) issue for me was needing to reload my favorite Garmin IQ data field (WindFields), easy enough to get it back ... but the data screen migration didn't bring it over with all the other data fields.

I'll test the road bike tomorrow to see that the Quarq and speed sensor are happy too.
This is weird...I keep my 1040 updated, currently on the same v16.13 as you. No problems, knock on wood.

Completely unrelated thread hijack: I haven't downloaded anything from Garmin IQ. Do you have some faves, or are you just using Windfields? TBH, I'm not even sure how that stuff works.
Old 04-26-23, 06:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Koyote
This is weird...I keep my 1040 updated, currently on the same v16.13 as you. No problems, knock on wood.

Completely unrelated thread hijack: I haven't downloaded anything from Garmin IQ. Do you have some faves, or are you just using Windfields? TBH, I'm not even sure how that stuff works.
I've tried a few Garmin IQ data fields and apps, but the only one I really value is WindField (and I love this one) https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a...9-e365bc849840 (they have a good install video on this page)

I find browsing Connect IQ easiest on my phone (Connect IQ app), this allows you to quickly transferrer apps/data fields to your connected Edge (you need to have your Edge turned on and with you). Then when you're on your Edge unit, you can add data fields like any data field, look for 'Connect IQ' in the list of data fields.
Likes For Hypno Toad: