Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walk of shame!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 07:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Perhaps you are seeing "trolling" where none exists. I have read some of his threads in the normal course of browsing, the ones that interest me. I see nothing suspicious. Please explain why this, or any of the other OP's posts, are trolling. Just calling someone a name is pretty weak. Can you not actually defend your position?
It's sometimes against BF policy to freely discuss other members. If you can't figure this situation out for yourself you can PM me or probably any of the other half dozen folks in this thread who seem to understand.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-30-23, 05:59 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You don’t think saying most of us must be “kittens” who ride on MUPs is suspicious? And that’s just the tip of the ice berg.

Go do what you admitted you haven’t done. If you do, you’ll see that I am far from being the only one. Or maybe you’re playing both roles in good sock, bar sock.
Like I said, I've read many of them already in the daily course of browsing new topics, and I did go back and look through more. There's really nothing that stands out, except a few people getting their feelings hurt and making a big deal out of it. Rule #5 might apply here.

Naturally you could just ignore him, yet here you are. It seems personal. Definitely not trolling though.
Old 06-30-23, 06:42 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Flat terrain, a little headwind, and chasing faster riders is harder for me than doing long climbs at my own pace.
ditto

did a relatively flat (for western PA) metric century one time that was brutal - hot humid sunny day and a pace above my comfort level ... I was toast

at the time - I could not stand flat rides - but now for the most part that is what I do ...

I do have lower gearing now for the occasional climbing: 34/30 ... 31/34 on another bike ... and a bike with a 22/32 on a triple for those nasty short climbs
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-30-23, 08:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
An 8 mile ride with 15% hills is harder than a 100 mile ride on a cute little bike path for kids and grannies
Like I said, I've read many of them already in the daily course of browsing new topics, and I did go back and look through more. There's really nothing that stands out,
If that didn't stand out, think you need to recalibrate.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-30-23, 08:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by t2p
ditto

did a relatively flat (for western PA) metric century one time that was brutal - hot humid sunny day and a pace above my comfort level ... I was toast

at the time - I could not stand flat rides - but now for the most part that is what I do ...

I do have lower gearing now for the occasional climbing: 34/30 ... 31/34 on another bike ... and a bike with a 22/32 on a triple for those nasty short climbs
His math is absurd. No matter how you slice it, all he did was climb 800 feet. I ride in New England, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a century route, metric or imperial that didn't have climbs of several times higher than that, sections of which will be at a relatively high grade (not 15%, but his math indicates there can't be much of that on his ride either since 1 mile at 15% would account for all of the 800 feet, and he's describing a 2 mile climb) . If he's really claiming that 800 feet of climb doesn't count because it's scattered over a 100 mile route, he's going to have to show some math here.
Old 06-30-23, 08:58 AM
Jeff Neese

An 8 mile ride with 15% hills is harder than a 100 mile ride on a cute little bike path for kids and grannies

Originally Posted by livedarklions
If that didn't stand out, think you need to recalibrate.
He may be right. It depends on how much of that 8 miles is at a 15% gradient. That's steeper than most of the "hellish" climbs in the TDF. 8 miles if it's all 15% would be almost superhuman. I know I couldn't do it (and you probably couldn't either), but we can probably both ride 100 miles on a cute little bike path made for kids and grannies.
Old 06-30-23, 09:12 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11972 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Some of you guys are an absolute riot. You're so worried about who's a sock or who's a troll it's comedic. Just because someone doesn't follow what you consider "proper" cycling behaviors drives you guys into a tizzy. You refuse to acknowledge the principle of "Different strokes for different folks", or rather, you might recognize it but you're going to do everything you can to drive him off these forums.

Kittens? Really? You're going to try to make a federal case out of a guy referring vaguely and indirectly to "kittens" when you don't hesitate to call people trolls . . . directly and to their face? Really? Some of you guys have lost it. Somewhere along the line there must have been a request for volunteer gatekeepers because that's exactly how you guys act . . . . everybody is a troll or a sock unless they march in lock step with you guys, the usual characters. The gatekeepers. Somehow I missed that memo.

Kittens . . . I can't get over that. We got a good laugh out of that one.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-30-23, 09:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

He may be right. It depends on how much of that 8 miles is at a 15% gradient. That's steeper than most of the "hellish" climbs in the TDF. 8 miles if it's all 15% would be almost superhuman. I know I couldn't do it (and you probably couldn't either), but we can probably both ride 100 miles on a cute little bike path made for kids and grannies.

He definitely did not mean that the entire 8 miles was 15% grade as he only claimed 800 feet of climbing over the entire 8 miles. 15% of 8 miles is 6336 feet of climb. 800 feet in 8 miles is just under 2% grade average. The mere presence of a few feet of 15% grade (that he walked, BTW) in 8 miles is not enough to magically make the ride "harder" than a ride 12.5 times longer in distance. And if you can't recognize the "kids and grannies" bit as trolling, like I said, your calibration is busted.

Honestly, I think the OP is probably lying about the 15% anyway, but in any event, he's remarkably nonspecific about how much of it there is.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-30-23, 09:34 AM
Jeff Neese

..... And if you can't recognize the "kids and grannies" bit as trolling, like I said, your calibration is busted.
What part got your panties in a bunch, the "kids" or the "grannies"? It's a good thing he didn't mention "granddads" or I'd be equally as offended.
Old 06-30-23, 09:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
The math says that not much was 15% in his 8 mile ride...and he walked. If he's a real person, and actually rides bikes, he's new to riding, and that's okay. We all had to start somewhere, and sometimes that includes making ignorant assumptions about things we have never experienced.

What makes climbs "hellish" in the Tour is mostly the ridiculous pace they ride.
Old 06-30-23, 10:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

What part got your panties in a bunch, the "kids" or the "grannies"? It's a good thing he didn't mention "granddads" or I'd be equally as offended.

Neither, but if you can't recognize it as an attempt to piss people off (i.e., trolling), you're tone deaf. My panties remained unbunched, TYVM. I didn't say he was a good troll.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-30-23, 10:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Some of you guys are an absolute riot. You're so worried about who's a sock or who's a troll it's comedic. Just because someone doesn't follow what you consider "proper" cycling behaviors drives you guys into a tizzy. You refuse to acknowledge the principle of "Different strokes for different folks", or rather, you might recognize it but you're going to do everything you can to drive him off these forums.

Kittens? Really? You're going to try to make a federal case out of a guy referring vaguely and indirectly to "kittens" when you don't hesitate to call people trolls . . . directly and to their face? Really? Some of you guys have lost it. Somewhere along the line there must have been a request for volunteer gatekeepers because that's exactly how you guys act . . . . everybody is a troll or a sock unless they march in lock step with you guys, the usual characters. The gatekeepers. Somehow I missed that memo.

I think folks (you guys?) are just trying to help. It's not like trolls and socks have never infested BF. Can we then assume you've had your IT sleuths investigate this OP's connection to the Che troll and there's nothing to it? Admittedly he didn't get confused and use both IDs in the same thread but there were some verbatim posts, IIRC. Just asking and thanks for all you do!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-30-23, 10:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Kittens? Really? You're going to try to make a federal case out of a guy referring vaguely and indirectly to "kittens" when you don't hesitate to call people trolls . . .
Kittens are mean.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-30-23, 10:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Honestly, I think the OP is probably lying about the 15% anyway, but in any event, he's remarkably nonspecific about how much of it there is.
Easy as pie to map it out and post a link, although that can be faked. Easier still to tell people where it was and let them investigate for themselves is they choose.
Old 06-30-23, 10:47 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What factors do you use to determine another cyclist's level of education? Is empathy for a fellow cyclist exclusive to the uneducated?
Huffy = GED
Schwinn = Associate's
Cannondale = Bachelor's
Trek = Master's
BMC = PhD
Old 06-30-23, 10:49 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Kittens are mean.
My cat is nice. I didn't know him when he was a kitten.
Old 06-30-23, 10:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Huffy = GED
Schwinn = Associate's
Cannondale = Bachelor's
Trek = Master's
BMC = PhD
What about a Storck?
Old 06-30-23, 10:50 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Kittens are mean.
I have the scars to prove it.
Old 06-30-23, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Huffy = GED
Schwinn = Associate's
Cannondale = Bachelor's
Trek = Master's
BMC = PhD
LOL! Then I must have a post-Doc.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-30-23, 10:51 AM
tomato coupe

Starts numerous stupid threads = 8th-grade education
Huffy = GED
Schwinn = Associate's
Cannondale = Bachelor's
Trek = Master's
BMC = PhD
ftfy
Old 06-30-23, 10:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The math says that not much was 15% in his 8 mile ride...and he walked. If he's a real person, and actually rides bikes, he's new to riding, and that's okay. We all had to start somewhere, and sometimes that includes making ignorant assumptions about things we have never experienced.

What makes climbs "hellish" in the Tour is mostly the ridiculous pace they ride.
Also the length of the climbs and sometimes really steep pitches > 20%, after you've already climbed a couple thousand feet at a faster pace than most of us routinely manage on the flat.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-30-23, 10:58 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Folks that claim a 2 mile hill at 15% is "nothing" are either
a) full of crap keyboard warrior trolls
b) pro cyclists
c) have never ridden hills.

I then realized (c) may be a real demographic, so I asserted the arbitrary 100 mile flat comparison
to make a point to the muppies and kittens
Old 06-30-23, 11:03 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
2 miles of 15% is about 1600 feet, not the 800 over 8 miles you initially described. Also, you didn't say "8 miles at 15%", you said, "An 8 mile ride with 15% hills".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-30-23, 11:04 AM
tomato coupe

b) pro cyclists

I then realized (c) may be a real demographic, so I asserted the arbitrary 100 mile flat comparison
People that claim an 8 mile ride with 800 ft. of climbing has 2 miles of 15% grade can't do basic math.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-30-23, 11:09 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

b) pro cyclists

You need to make up your mind about what the hill was...
...a 2 mile hill that lasted almost 20 mins. (5% to 16% grade).
Your lack of knowledge about riders and riding is glaringly obvious.

EDIT: I don't recall anyone saying a 15% climb was "nothing", but 20 minutes of climbing is not more difficult (a bigger effort) than 5+ hours of flat riding. I have experience with both.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-30-23 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For Eric F:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.