Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-23, 01:48 PM
Leebob69

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 3.0, Trek 700 MultiTrack,Specialized Alibi,Benotto ?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 51 Posts
Figured it would be windy today but for once the direction changed. I have a 2 mile long uphill grade that is normally tough but today it was easier. The wind was at my back. Wind on the flats wasn't that bad. Also today was the first ride over 20 miles on my new Specialized Sirrus. Lots of 15 milers on the Sirrus but I had a 20.3 miler in me today. Even rode most of the Marsh Creek Trail(loop) which is a mix of dirt, gravel and concrete pathways.

Likes For Leebob69:
Old 10-11-23, 02:05 PM
pelirary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
If I had a goal to ride thirty miles and as I was approaching home at 29.4 I would end up riding around the neighborhood til I got to thirty.
Old 10-12-23, 12:53 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by pelirary
If I had a goal to ride thirty miles and as I was approaching home at 29.4 I would end up riding around the neighborhood til I got to thirty.
The mileage was close enough for me. This is joy riding for me.

I got out earlier today than yesterday. I stayed on the bike path today hoping to find the bike lock I dropped yesterday. No such luck. I rode for 28 miles today. The weather was great. Blue skies and sunny.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 10-13-23, 02:09 PM
Leebob69

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 3.0, Trek 700 MultiTrack,Specialized Alibi,Benotto ?

I had a good ride today. Blue skies and almost no wind. Total distance was 20.2 miles. Stayed in town today. I'm including a a couple pics. I want one for my yard
Pretty cool bike racks. Not sure anyone uses them as they are about 200 yards from the main entrance to a newish development in the southern part of town. I love new asphalt streets with nearly no traffic!

Likes For Leebob69:
Old 10-13-23, 02:23 PM
pelirary

Friday the 13th. I should have left the bike alone. The sun was shining and when I went out to the back yard to check the temperature it seemed warm. So, I got ready and headed out. It took me just a tenth of a mile to realize I was underdressed for the route I had picked out. It would take me along the bay where much of the mileage would be subjected to any cool breeze coming off the water. So, I turned around and went back home. Now, most times when I dismount the bike I have my right foot unclipped and then swing my left leg over the saddle. But in going back home I intended to lean the bike against the house while I went in to change. This would require me to unclip the left foot and swing the right leg over. I got unclipped okay but in swinging my leg over it didn't clear the saddle and the momentum put me on the ground with the bike on top of me. After some choice words I got up and checked myself and the bike out. All seemed okay except for a small cut on the right shin.

After changing my attire I headed back ou. Things went well now that I was a bit warmer. Then the lack of luck on the 13th reared its ugly head again. I was going through a local small town and came close to being wiped out by an opening car door. I had just enough time to yell and have the drive pull the door back. I was restricted in maneuvering because of a car approaching from the rear.

Later, on a road with shadows from the low afternoon sun, a pot hole was hidden among the leaf shadows. I almost lost it.

Otherwise it was an uneventful ride. 23.2 miles.
Old 10-13-23, 09:05 PM
Leebob69

pelirary I was going to hit the like button but decided that wasn't appropriate. Glad to hear you escaped the pit falls of your Friday the 13th.
I was worried I might of dressed to warm with a long sleeve T shirt and a reflective vest. Still wore shorts. After 5 minutes I new it would be OK. BUT I forgot my water bottle! I don't recommend riding 20 miles without water.
Old 10-15-23, 07:09 AM
pelirary

Originally Posted by Leebob69
pelirary I was going to hit the like button but decided that wasn't appropriate. Glad to hear you escaped the pit falls of your Friday the 13th.
I was worried I might of dressed to warm with a long sleeve T shirt and a reflective vest. Still wore shorts. After 5 minutes I new it would be OK. BUT I forgot my water bottle! I don't recommend riding 20 miles without water.
That happened to me once. I was three miles into my ride and went to reach for my water bottle. Uh oh. Not there. I was at a traffic light so had time to think and luckily there was a convenience store just down the road. Got to bottles of water and was good to go.
Likes For pelirary:
Old 10-15-23, 03:21 PM
essiemyra

I rode to work this morning with the temp at a cool 52 degrees. Blue skies and some wind, though the wind was a tail wind as I felt it pushing me. I saw a friend walking the mup on my way home from work, so I slowed down to chat a bit.
Old 10-15-23, 06:59 PM
cbuddy2005

Bikes: old GT avalanche, Ribble Ti Endurance disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Yep

Did about 90 minutes in chilly(for Texas) 17 to 24 mph headwind today.
tough to manage 14 mph when it was in the face, but hit 20+ on the back side of my flat, chipsealed neighborhood course.
looking to get my almost 60 year old, 30 pound overweight frame in shape for next summer.
starting early to get the weight off before beginning the serious traing for a very hot century ride.
​​ride.
Felt good to grind for that constant time.
Old 10-16-23, 12:32 PM
essiemyra

I got out this morning at 8:30 for a 26 mile ride. It was a little chilly with the temps in the mid 50's and gray ugly skies. That was better than the rain that we had earlier in the morning. Anyway, it was a good ride and a different route was taken.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 10-16-23, 01:16 PM
bharrisonb
FreedomRider

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Sports, 2008 Specialized Sequoia, 2016 Trek Verve 2, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad ebike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 53 Posts
Did my Cape Ann Loop (Gloucester / Rockport) this morning .. a bit of light rain, but nice color in Annisquam

Fall colors in Annisquam

​​​​​​​Here's where I was on the map ...
Likes For bharrisonb:
Old 10-16-23, 01:53 PM
Leebob69

Didn't hit the road till after 9 this morning. Long sleeve T shirt and my reflective vest. Remembered my water bottle today. 15 miles in I was plenty warm. Stayed in town today. Rode the wealthy neighborhoods because they have the smoothest streets with nearly no traffic. Then hit a new development with perfect asphalt streets. Came back home on the Sycamore Creek Trail. If I'm remembering correctly this is my new best for distance traveled.
Ride With GPS says 24.6 miles. 2:00:46 moving time. Average speed was 12.2. Not bad considering all the stop signs. No pics today.
Likes For Leebob69:
Old 10-18-23, 04:29 PM
Leebob69

Beautiful day with hardly a breeze. Rode one circuit of a route I do at Mountain House. All paved. 10.2 miles. Today I didn't goof off at all. I was dripping sweat when I finished. Nice place to ride but to get there safely I load the bike in the truck for the 10 minute drive. At least gas is back under $5 per gallon.
Old 10-18-23, 07:04 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Bergen Co NJ loop from the GW bridge. Hammered rt 9 north, drafting with 2 stronger guys, a good bit at 35-40 mph. (edit: I just checked strava and umm, we were going fast but not long at 35-40)

Have to grab these last few nice days. 😉

Last edited by BTinNYC; 10-18-23 at 07:14 PM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-19-23, 05:11 PM
essiemyra

I was able to get out and ride this morning. I got a 35 mile ride in today. The weather was great for riding with the temperature at 62 and sunny skies. I did the same ride today as I did yesterday, but got off the bike path to try a different route. I got back on the bike path about two entrances further up the road as an 18 wheeler went by too close for my liking he didn’t even move over as he passed me.

Anyway, it was a good day for riding today.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 10-19-23, 09:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
46 miles on the last nice day of the cycling year. Average speed 16.8 MPH with 2,000’ climbing.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-21-23, 06:23 AM
BTinNYC 

I enjoyed my rainy ride until I got home and saw how gross the road muck was. Turned the hose on myself, then got to cleaning the bike. Ick!
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-22-23, 07:31 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebob69
Pretty cool bike racks. Not sure anyone uses them as they are about 200 yards from the main entrance to a newish development in the southern part of town.
We have any of these type racks. I've never seen one used. The locations of them, the fact that they don't really support multiple bikes without them being leaned against each other and that they look more like decor I think is part of the reason. Plus they encourage non-drive side photos.

Originally Posted by rsbob
For some reason I find the stately bridge and defacement of the supports an interesting contrast.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 10-22-23, 07:42 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Yesterday I took this old steel bike out to ride support for an 8k held on what used to be the ranch of an oilman. Leading the runners and then riding back out to support the slower groups got me about 15 miles of scenic riding with buffalo, deer, and longhorn cattle.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 10-22-23, 09:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Chuck M
For some reason I find the stately bridge and defacement of the supports an interesting contrast.
What is rather odd is that the bridge is out in the sticks surrounded by farms, a nature preserve and a horse farm. Taggers gotta tag.

Old 10-22-23, 09:43 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Took a short (18 mile) and easy ride yesterday. One of the women in the club is recovering from surgery, and is working her way back to fitness on the bike. She's 72, by the way! A small group rode along with her to make certain she was okay.
Building up some momentum on a downhill so she could carry it up the following climbing section. This is my first time using Dashware software to overlay the ride data. For some reason, the speed goes wonky now and then, and it wouldn't read cadence or power.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-22-23, 11:47 AM
Leebob69

After bending my hanger yesterday and having it straightened I had to get a quick ride in this morning. 8.1 miles in 42 minutes. Still very windy(same wind that blew over my bike yesterday) but blue skies! Forecast is 60% rain this afternoon. I saw no sign of it so far.
Now for some coffee and football.
Likes For Leebob69:
Old 10-22-23, 12:57 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Rode about six miles around the neighborhood on an old single speed conversion I’ve been working on this week .
I like the simplicity of a single speed conversion , reminds me of the bikes I rode when I was young .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 10-22-23, 09:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Got out the 82 Bianchi road bike and explored a few of the backroads of the Pacific Northwest.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-23-23, 04:05 AM
BTinNYC 

Didn't get out yesterday; quite the list of honey-do's. So hit Zwift's Col d'Aspin climb simulation as reward...and punishment 😜 2,662 feet in 8.2 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.