Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gravel bike/n+1 question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gravel bike/n+1 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 10:03 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Gravel bike/n+1 question

So this post will be a long path to a probably simple question so hopefully you'll stay with me.

I got into gravel rides last year. Have done a couple organized rides that, while a good portion of the roads were in good enough shape, had several sections with very loose, soft sections and some double and single track that probably fell more into the 'off-road' category. I've got a Surly Disc Trucker that I bought for touring and pulled it into service for the gravel rides. It has a lot of the characteristics of what I understand are what you'd want in a gravel bike ... disc brakes, stable geometry, low gearing (26/32 granny gear), and it's a sturdy steel frame and and a comfortable ride. The thing is, it is a tank, especially when you add in the racks, fenders, and handlebar bag attachment. I'm thinking it's a good 10-12 pounds heavier than a gravel bike (I'm looking at the Trek Checkpoint but I may be back for opinions on other alternatives if I decide to get a new bike). Also, it has 26" wheels ... from what I can tell, while there's a lot of good touring tires for 26" wheels (that can be used on gravel), it seems like there's more choice in gravel tires for the 700c wheels.

So, my question is, all other things being equal (aging process, conditioning), should I expect a bike more targeted for gravel rides (actually, mixed pavement and gravel) such as the Diverge or Checkpoint to make a difference in managing some of these long gravel grinder rides that often have very steep, sketchy roads. Or should I not expect much performance benefit over my Surly Disc Trucker?

Couple other notes:

1) Getting another bike wouldn't be a financial burden so, thankfully, I'm ok in that regard.

2) Having said that, I don't like buying stuff for the sake of buying stuff unless I think there's a practical benefit (in this case, a noticeable performance benefit).

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-18, 10:27 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
If it's not a financial burden it sounds like you have a good case for a new bike. I'm not a big weight weenie but 10-12 lbs difference is pretty noticable. IMO the best deals are the Raleigh's and Diamondback with the corporate discount.

Willard 3 is only $835 The 105 model is about $300 more.

Old 09-02-18, 10:54 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
If it's not a financial burden it sounds like you have a good case for a new bike. I'm not a big weight weenie but 10-12 lbs difference is pretty noticable. IMO the best deals are the Raleigh's and Diamondback with the corporate discount.

Willard 3 is only $835 The 105 model is about $300 more.

Thanks for the recommendations, appreciate it. Yeah, I've not typically stressed over saving ounces but this is a pretty big difference. Of course, if I could knock off another 10 pounds of my own weight, too, I'd be flying up those hills :-).
Old 09-02-18, 12:28 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Whatever bike you end up getting get it with hydraulic disc brakes. Despite what you may read on here they are so much better than cable discs. Check out the cannondale topstone it seems like a good entry level gravel bike, there is a thread in the cross/gravel bike forum.