Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Tiagra 4600 and brake issue

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 05:07 AM
Retch

Bikes: Specialized TT Transition Elite, Giant ATX hard tail, many others in the family

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am currently rebuilding a 15 year old road bike for my daughter, but am having trouble with the rear brake. It came standard with Tiagra 4600 levers and Tektro r312 brake calipers. When we got the bike, the rear brake didn’t have a lot of stopping power, so I tried a bunch of different things to fix it. I changed the cable and outer sheath, the pads, cleaned the calipers, lubed the levers and adjusted everything. It still didn’t work well, so I swapped in some other calipers I had spare, and that made no difference. The brake just has no feel or power. I can’t imagine it is the lever, but that seems like the only thing I have left to change! What am I missing??
Old 07-13-23, 05:22 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Using new cable and housing? Any kind of kink in either creates friction and changes how the cable moves, it can make the braking much worse. At 15 years old I'd also consider new pads, those can matter as well and make sure the pads are hitting flat. With older brakes, cleaning and lubing the pivots can help it move smoother. Also expect the rear brake to not function quite as well as the front, just a result of longer cables.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-13-23, 07:44 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Replace pads

You are not the only one with this issue about the brakes. From 2015 https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1032761 The recommendation seems to be not buying the OEM replacement but using Kool Stop brake pads. The only catch is that only Tiagara uses a pad with the holder molded into it while all the other Shimano models have separate holders and replaceable inserts. Check which you have and buy the suitable replacement. There is no doubt that the rubber has hardened over 15 years making the brakes far less useful for stopping. It's one of the first things I look to replace when refurbishing an old bike with rim brakes.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-16-23, 03:26 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Just from a generic point of view, hen confronted with a challenge such as yours, start from go. squeeze the lever, hard.
Is your housing moving when you squeeze the brake? compressionless housing might help.
Did you use good inner wires like Jag, or cheap Walmart inner wires? cheap ones can be stretchy
Old 07-31-23, 07:29 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
You can purchase the pad holder from Kool Stop and when the pads wear out, can just slide in a new pad. Dura Road Holder Threaded – KOOLSTOP