Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

looking for help achieving proper chain tension

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 10:19 PM
akdmx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm working on a singlespeed conversion project right now with a cannondale touring bike circa '85. I am very limited on wheel options due to the 126mm rear wheel spacing (frankly I would rather not buy new wheels as I'm trying to keep it budget anyway) I put on a freewheel, which then gave me an awful chain line. I then installed a narrower bb, to bring the outer ring in. After finally fixing my chain line, I have found out that the tensioner I was planing on using will not work because it pulls the chain outward (away from bike) (gusset, similar to rennen i believe). The bike has diagonal (basically vertical) drop outs. I'm currently using a sram PC1 chain. I'm going to try to use a half link, but I don't think that will get it quite snug enough. Anyways, I was hoping to find out some alternate methods of chain tension adjustment if there even are any. How do the non-horizontal drop out guys get good chain tension?

I have 2 salsa chain rings (53t and 38t) that I would love to exchange for parts or service contributing to the completion of my bike. I am located in the bay area.
Old 08-29-09, 08:51 PM
akdmx

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since nobody bothered to answer my post, I will answer it myself in case someone looks up this thread for their own research.

I put on a half link, which then allowed me to set the wheel fully in the dropouts, with too much chain slack. At this point I loaded up the dremel with the aluminum cutting/grinding barrel and went to town. I would suggest this technique to anyone with an aluminum frame, and enough drop out room to cut away up to 5mm.
Old 08-30-09, 07:23 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
wait, what did you do with your dremel? Did you try to extend your dropouts?
Old 08-30-09, 07:46 PM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is something called, chain-tensioners.

https://images.google.co.jp/images?hl...title&resnum=7

You shouldn't be drilling frames whether it is tampered steel or aluminum.

T