Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My First Vintage!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My First Vintage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 02:29 PM
sheepdog22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My First Vintage!

Woo! Pretty excited. Just picked up my first road & vintage bike. Just moved to Florida and have been on the hunt for something besides my full suspension mountain bike to ride around on. Enter Tracy the Trek

Shes a 1985 Trek 670. I had been on a massive search on craigslist when I found it. It was local and went buy and couldn't pass up the deal. The guy was really nice and had a collection of road bikes in his apartment. He had cleaned it all up and lubed up the drivetrain. Here are the rest of the pictures I snapped real fast when I got home:

Anyways I want to spruce her up. She is in god condition but can be better. She in is need of some new tape. The hard decision comes in on deciding on going with the original white tape or something nicer. I have seen some bikes on this forum that are close to the same color that look awesome sporting the leather gum color. I would also like the match the seat with the grips. Can you all give me some advice on what seats are even out there?

I am completely new to the vintage world. My only other bike is a Kona Stinky for the mountains. Are there any good sites that specialize in vintage parts? Also any gurus know where I can source a new sticker set? Lastly, do they make add-on brake levers that are similar to these?

Old 04-10-11, 03:00 PM
special_k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! That's a great bike you've got there.

The "lever add-ons" you are talking about are called turkey levers or suicide levers. They are not particularly effective for providing reliable braking. What you might consider is cross-top levers like these
Old 04-10-11, 03:12 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Nice first score. Turkey levers interfere with some of the available hand positions on road handlebars and offer little actual braking. With a little practice you will find it quite easy to brake from the hoods.
Old 04-10-11, 04:40 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Great color !
Old 04-10-11, 04:47 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Great score. Welcome to the world of C&V! Your first lesson," N+1. It won't be long until you stumble across another vintage ride that you just gotta have. Enjoy the ride
Old 04-10-11, 04:50 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I dig it! Nice older Trek. Personally, I'd switch out the Modolo calipers, but all in good time.

The in line levers are very nice and convenient...but you do loose a little total breaking power by having an additional point to the cable.
Old 04-10-11, 05:35 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Where in Florida?
Old 04-10-11, 05:43 PM
sheepdog22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by special_k
Welcome! That's a great bike you've got there.

The "lever add-ons" you are talking about are called turkey levers or suicide levers. They are not particularly effective for providing reliable braking. What you might consider is cross-top levers like these
Cool. I will check them out. I see your in Baltimore, I just moved from Frederick! Thanks again for the info!
Old 04-10-11, 05:46 PM
sheepdog22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hows everyone feel about TT bars? I like they way they look and looks to be pretty comfortable but show I deviate from the stock form? I always dig a vintage bike in stock form
Old 04-11-11, 07:31 AM
sheepdog22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JReade
Where in Florida?
I live in Debary which is Central Florida. About 20-30 minutes North of Orlando.
Old 04-11-11, 07:43 AM
sheepdog22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I dig it! Nice older Trek. Personally, I'd switch out the Modolo calipers, but all in good time.
What do you recommend switching them out with?
Old 04-11-11, 07:48 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
Nice first score. Turkey levers interfere with some of the available hand positions on road handlebars and offer little actual braking. With a little practice you will find it quite easy to brake from the hoods.
They are also a problem if you want to mount a handlebar bag for light touring. They will also "damage" the look of this bike. As far as saddles are concerned, a broken-in leather Brooks B-17 is a B.F C&V favorite! You can also check for deals online at Nashbar, performance and JensonUSA to name a few merchants. BTW, really nice road bike! Pretty sweet for your first catch, but with this one...who needs another? Now to get out and put some mileage on it!
Old 04-11-11, 07:51 AM
jstewse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking bike, these vintage Treks are sought after for a reason.

I think you really ought to give the drop bars/levers combo a try before you go adding TT bars or turkey levers, it's the standard on road machines for a reason and with a little time I think you'll find it to be perfectly comfortable/functional. The availability of different hand positions is a beautiful thing. Maybe try some aero levers like the Tektro r200 or the standard Shimano 105/slr/rx100 style levers. Also playing around with bar angle, lever position, stem height/length will help you dial it in to whats comfortable for you.

As far as tape color goes, I'd say stick with the white, or find a charcoal color like the rims/calipers.
Old 04-11-11, 07:54 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by sheepdog22
What do you recommend switching them out with?

IMHO, I'd be happy with the Modolos. Black or white Royal Gran-Compes from Dia-Compe would look nice, but truly not necessary. They do look really nice, though.
Old 04-11-11, 08:15 AM
sportridertex

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500,TREK Mendota 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go to Orlando, twice a year for work, and I'm trying to imagine Mountains and mountain bikes there, I just can't picture it,but that's a "NICE" TREK.

I like.....
Old 04-11-11, 08:34 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
The Trek R200 aero brake levers are well-loved for a reason: they work well, are very comfortable, and are very cheap, around $20. That would be a very easy upgrade while staying in the more or less traditional DT shifter mode. You can also buy them packaged with Tektro dual-pivot calipers from Bikeisland.com for under $50. The levers don't come with white hoods though.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 04-11-11, 09:02 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Nice score. Before changing the configuration, get to know the bike. Ride it a while, make any adjustments to make it comfy for you, and only after that go ahead and make your changes. You may find that you like it as-is, once you get to know the bike.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-11-11, 01:23 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Great bike. Love the color.

And try it out before you go with TT bars or similar. Just wouldn't look right IMO.
Old 04-11-11, 01:32 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Nice Trek!
Before changing anything, except the tape, check out fit first. Make sure you are comfortable and everything is right, seat location and angle and stem length. The HB look right to me. They are in, what some call, the Italian position, with the "flat" part of the drops pointed at the rear axle. this allows for the upper part of the drop to be "flat" for ease of resting you hands next to the brake levers for ease of use.
Old 04-11-11, 01:59 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I had and sold one of those, an absolutely great bike. I actually liked the modolo calipers they worked fine
and I like the charcoal grey with the trek paint. The white tape looks good but can be a pain in the butt
to keep clean. I'd recommend something like the Fizik bar tape at least you can wipe off the dirt from that
tape.
Ex Hagerstown here, kind of miss that area.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 04-11-11, 05:54 PM
spinbackle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had one of those at one time, ran it into a car and it was toast. Same color, looks to be about the same size, same year, same Look pedals. That looks to be a Campy Nuovo Record drivetrain. That's one nice bike there. You can find decals at Velocals.com for that one. Did I mention that's a sweet ride?

Scott
'84 Trek 850--spinbackle-built, '85 Trek 670 Campy Nuovo Record--project, '87 Trek 560 SS/Fixed--project, '87 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp w/ Deore XT--Specialized-built, '87 Rossin Record, '03 LeMond Wayzata--commuter,
'?? TST Mtn Bike frame--project, '07 Tsunami Tandem--home-built
Old 04-11-11, 07:01 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I like older Treks a lot and yours is a very nice one - double-butted Reynolds tubes and Nuovo Record cranks and derailleurs. They are very well made and a nice ride. Congratulations!

I second or third the advice to ride it as is for a few weeks before deciding what to change, adjusting things along the way to improve the fit.

You may have seen this but this is the catalogue with your machine in it
Old 04-11-11, 07:19 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
May we see pics of the drivetrain?

I don't know what you paid, but I think you scored.

Don't change anything about it without letting us talk you out of it first. It's especially important to us that other people's bikes remain stock original.
Old 04-11-11, 11:47 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Before you go changing bar styles, if you find these uncomfortable I would consider going to a wider bar. If the bike fits you (just based on the size of the frame in the photo's I'd say you are probably 5'9" or taller) its very likely you need to move to at least a 44cm or wider bar in order to feel comfortable riding the bike. Its a beautiful machine, and I'm sure you can get it dialed in to fit you.
I also like Brooks saddles, and haven't found anything nearly so comfortable that looks half as good.
Enjoy the bike.
Old 04-12-11, 01:05 AM
rivas7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike! Those frames are awesome and so is that teal-gray color scheme.
I almost pulled the trigger on a (I think) late-80's aluminum Trek 1100 last week. If it had not been for the Schwinn Circuit I just bought and a few bikes that I need to sell, the Trek 1100 would be sitting in my house by now. Seller posted it for 225 and a few days later it was re-listed at 375. Interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.