Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I:

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 11:03 AM
LessonLearned

Bikes: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2008-se-lager-brown-6612

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retem
I woke up to news of a massive shooting at the theater I almost went to at midnight
There really aren't words for a response to this. Glad you're still with us though.
A dear friend of mine just moved from Denver to the east coast last week and she taught kids in Aurora.
Terrible world we live in sometimes. So sorry for everyone involved there...
Old 07-20-12, 11:13 AM
lokerola

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Mo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I woke up to news of a massive shooting at the theater I almost went to at midnight
Originally Posted by LessonLearned
There really aren't words for a response to this. Glad you're still with us though.
A dear friend of mine just moved from Denver to the east coast last week and she taught kids in Aurora.
Terrible world we live in sometimes. So sorry for everyone involved there...
Terrible news. I have an young son who wants to go see it and it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about those kids and parents who were killed.

Old 07-20-12, 11:17 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
still waiting to hear if my coworkers and contacts are all ok
Old 07-20-12, 11:24 AM
misskaz
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
still waiting to hear if my coworkers and contacts are all ok
Oh god. Please let us know. I am stunned at the news this morning.
Old 07-20-12, 11:29 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2626 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
Ya I heard that *** on the radio driving to work.

It makes me sick to my stomach that someone could be so ****ed up in the head to harm strangers like that.
Old 07-20-12, 11:30 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Leukybear
You would be stupid not to at that price. If you ever decide not to.... I'm local if you know what I mean.

On another note, have you gotten any word about your forsaken steed?
Nope. I've pretty much accepted that it's gone.

The worst part is that my bike was special and I selected every component on it. I'm still a little pissed
Old 07-20-12, 11:31 AM
LessonLearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like even bringing this up is somewhat inappropriate, but I just want to say that I planned on seeing that film ASAP but I don't think I can do it anymore. I would just be thinking of those victims the entire time. It feels wrong to even say that, because it sounds like a complaint or something.

June 11, 2011 my little sister was murdered. Shot and killed by her ex boyfriend who then shot and killed himself. She was just 22 years old, whole life ahead of her. Shootings like this Aurora incident really hit home and just make me so sick to my stomach. Like I was saying earlier, I just can't find words to begin to describe how awful this is and how terrible I feel today.
Old 07-20-12, 12:40 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
today its crappy out so i went out with the little lady in search of these:

ended up finding this:

someone literally just left it on the corner of a busy intersection in the pouring rain, we passed it on the other side of the street. first store we went to didnt have the chex mix so we went back to another store half hour later and saw it still sitting there. ended up finding the chex mix and on the way back home and it was still there, so i put it in my trunk and brought it home

doesnt seem to be in the worst shape either

ps: those chex mix rock, they have peanut butter and chocolate flavor too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo(2).jpg (103.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-20-12, 01:11 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Old 07-20-12, 01:19 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like that bike thief is getting beat up by a mime? And +1 on the sentiment.
Old 07-20-12, 01:38 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Don't F$@% with mimes!
Old 07-20-12, 01:41 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
well i wouldnt have touched it if i felt like i was actually stealing anything

i mean who leaves a bike with 2 flats half in the road and half on a sidewalk in the pouring rain not attached to anything and honestly expects to go back to it?
Old 07-20-12, 01:46 PM
LessonLearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
well i wouldnt have touched it if i felt like i was actually stealing anything

i mean who leaves a bike with 2 flats half in the road and half on a sidewalk in the pouring rain not attached to anything and honestly expects to go back to it?
I agree. If a bike is laying on the ground in a rainstorm with two flats. That's about as good as laying in a dumpster. Free for the taking.
Of course, if you happen to meet someone who says "hey that's my bike I left it on the sidewalk in a rainstorm with two flats" you may want to offer it back to them. But I don't think you did anything wrong there.

If you want, put up a notice somewhere and wait two weeks and if no one replies, then you're definitely in the clear.
Old 07-20-12, 01:48 PM
LessonLearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kinda funny, this same thing happened in a guitar forum a few years back. My buddy found a guitar on top of a dumpster in his alley. He scooped it up for me since he knows I play guitar. I told those forumites about the situation and a lot of them said "oh bro that's stealing!"
I was shocked. Where I come from, if you put something in or on a dumpster, or hell - even on your curbside, that means "I don't want this anymore - free to a good home"

Worst case scenerio - it teaches the previous owner to take better care of their stuff. No one busted any locks or did anything sneaky. You leave your stuff lying around it will be gone. Lesson Learned.
Old 07-20-12, 01:48 PM
misskaz
sqrl

Bikes: bieks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like even bringing this up is somewhat inappropriate, but I just want to say that I planned on seeing that film ASAP but I don't think I can do it anymore. I would just be thinking of those victims the entire time. It feels wrong to even say that, because it sounds like a complaint or something.

June 11, 2011 my little sister was murdered. Shot and killed by her ex boyfriend who then shot and killed himself. She was just 22 years old, whole life ahead of her. Shootings like this Aurora incident really hit home and just make me so sick to my stomach. Like I was saying earlier, I just can't find words to begin to describe how awful this is and how terrible I feel today.
I don't think it sounds like a complaint at all and it's a completely legitimate emotional response.

I can't imagine losing my sister like that... I'm so sorry. I'm sure today is very triggering for you and I hope you are taking care of yourself. I'm sure there's not but if there's anything I can do, let me know. Bike rides, beers, anything.
Old 07-20-12, 01:57 PM
LessonLearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misskaz
I don't think it sounds like a complaint at all and it's a completely legitimate emotional response.

I can't imagine losing my sister like that... I'm so sorry. I'm sure today is very triggering for you and I hope you are taking care of yourself. I'm sure there's not but if there's anything I can do, let me know. Bike rides, beers, anything.

Thanks Kaz. I'm fine, it just put me in a rough spot for a couple hours. Nothing I can't handle. Bouncing back is what I'm good at.
I cried for so long when she was killed, eventually my eyes went all white and I couldn't see. That was after about 24 hours of straight sobbing. I jumped on a plane down to Florida (where she lived, near my mother and stepfather) and cried the entire flight. It's a complete game changer. Life means so much less to me after that.
But I know I'm not the only one to lose a loved one before their time. And there are worse things in life than dying. Those are the two things that got me through it, sadly. If I wasn't such a coward, I would've probably taken myself out last year. But I don't have it in me, luckily. And what doesn't kill you does make you stronger. It's easier to deal with things when you're not afraid to die.
Hope I'm not scaring anyone here. I'm sharing quite a bit today. I'm really not a psycho. Just been through a lot. But so have a lot of people. And actually this post is very self serving and inappropriate. This isn't about me in any way shape or form. This is about those families and loved ones in Colorado who will suffer for the rest of their days because of this.

Oh and this helps a lot too for some strange reason...
Old 07-20-12, 02:16 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Touchy subject maybe but I saw The Dark Knight Rises last night (technically today) and it was awesome. Regarding the found bike, it was very possibly stolen and abandoned. You should put up a "Found Bike" posting on your local CL and see if anyone's missing. Don't post pics with it (to avoid fishers and opportunists).
Old 07-20-12, 02:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

holy ****.

I am really, really sorry to hear about this.

You hear **** like this on the news but rarely any personally testimonials.
Old 07-20-12, 02:44 PM
Sherblock

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About to go see Dark Knight Rises. Hearing about homicides is sad though. So I feel like we should lighten up this thread.

bikes.
Old 07-20-12, 02:51 PM
LessonLearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
holy ****.

I am really, really sorry to hear about this.

You hear **** like this on the news but rarely any personally testimonials.
Yeah that's exactly it. Until you experience something like that, life is just normal day to day stuff - which pair of shoes will I wear today? Nah these shoes all suck, maybe I'll go buy some new ones. I wonder what's on tv tonight? etc etc etc. You "know" that bad things happen in this world but they don't happen to you or yours.
Then something like this happens, and it flips everything upside down. You don't give a **** about shoes or tv or even eating food or drinking water and taking care of yourself. You just wish you could trade places with your little sister (or brother or child, etc) because they deserve to be alive. They deserve to fall in love. To live life and laugh and smile. To go to the beach or to ride a bicycle.
You just keep trying to find a way to get just one more hour with them. But obviously that's not how things work.

That's maybe the one positive thing to come from a most heinous and unthinkable act - the fact that the loss reminds others to hug their children a little tighter at night. To enjoy the company of their loved ones while they're still here. Hell, to enjoy YOURSELF more often and more fully. People don't like to think/hear/talk about it but any of us could die today. Make it count, guys. Make it count.

And that's all I'm going to say on the matter. I feel like I've basically selfishly stolen the spotlight and it's something I told myself I wasn't going to do. I'm not going to use my sister's murder as an excuse for anything. Worse things happen to people on this planet every day. HTFU I guess?

Last edited by LessonLearned; 07-20-12 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 03:09 PM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what it's like to lose loved ones. I've been to at least two funerals a year since I was 12. Let me know if you need me.
Old 07-20-12, 04:01 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Don't F$@% with mimes!

I hate mimes!!!!
Old 07-20-12, 05:00 PM
LessonLearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmytango
I know what it's like to lose loved ones. I've been to at least two funerals a year since I was 12. Let me know if you need me.
Thanks man.
Hey I picked up a bottle of that Black Hatter. We shall see...
Old 07-20-12, 05:08 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hey LL, I know words don't mean much, but I'm sorry.

Today I caught two +20" trout.

All your guys' cool BF gifs don't work too well on my woodland dial up connection. See ya'll cats in August.
Old 07-20-12, 05:27 PM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, my internet is off at home because I'm moving, and my phone was broken. I just learned about the shooting through this forum. That's nuts.

LL, if you wanna go Monday night, dm me your email and I'll forward you the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.