Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Experienced Mechanic - Rookie Mistake - How?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 07:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

I'm embarrassed to admit this. Two nights ago I began re-assembly of a stripped down frame. It was late and it'd been a long day and I was tired. Got the headset repacked and adjusted. Then sat down to re-install the cone/loose bearing/spindle bottom bracket assembly. New bearings, grease. You know where this is going...

Without much thought (any thought?) I began with the fixed cup ON THE NON DRIVE SIDE. Darn, the threads must be fouled. Cleaned it, wiped it, regreased it. Ahh, now it's catching, but it's VERY HARD TO TURN - well I cross threaded it in and got to work on the bearings, spindle and other side. Not realizing, I began to cross thread the adjustable side - and thought - this shouldn't be so hard. Maybe I need to have the threads chased.

Took the frame to my friendly, competent LBS, and they just stared at me. YOU PUT THE FIXED CUP ON THE WRONG SIDE! Humiliating. I've done dozens of these. How did I do that? Shame.

Ever done something similarly goofy, when you should've known better?
Old 10-17-12, 07:50 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are you sure you didn't use one of the odd Shimano cartridge bottom brackets that are reversed? They were popular in the '90s. The fixed side was installed on the NON-drive side and the adjustable side was installed on the drive side.

I have seen a fair amount of Trek mountain bikes come through our coop with those reversed Shimano bottom brackets. Freaks everyone out until they realize that they are designed like that.

Edit: re-read your posting and noticed you mentioned loose balls, well then I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully the LBS can chase and fix your BB threads.
Old 10-17-12, 08:14 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I tried to pull a square-taper crank without taking the bolt out once. Fortunately the puller had only engaged a few turns of the thread due to the presence of said bolt, so I was still able to remove the crank after tearing out all the thread that the puller was engaging...

It was more embarassing because I did it at the co-op, although it was my own bike.
Old 10-17-12, 08:15 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Was alcohol involved?
Old 10-17-12, 08:23 AM
Lewis_Moon

Bikes: Skunkhumper Team, 05 Poprad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Join the club. We have jerseys.

I've done exactly the same thing. I think it's a perception issue.
Old 10-17-12, 08:28 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I came across this gem awhile ago.....

Old 10-17-12, 08:34 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Excuses

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Was alcohol involved?
Unfortunately, No.

My only explanation is general fatigue, a nagging sense that I had to make progress on this build, and foggy thinking...

The LBS was able to chase the threads, and I installed the BB last night with no issues.

I would have expected someone to say that they had installed brifters (initially) on the wrong sides of the handlebar or something. Imaging telling the customer that this new type of shifting is very much like how a sea lion riding an STI circus bike would shift...
Old 10-17-12, 08:59 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

Ever done something similarly goofy, when you should've known better?
With a BB, my favorite boo-boo is installing the BB, putting the crank back on and realizing the cups aren't quite tight enough. Then trying to loosen the compression ring and tighten with the crank arm on. Sometimes easy to do. Sometimes a PITA.
Old 10-17-12, 09:19 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
A couple of points- First, in this day of only English threading on BBs this reversing is NOT GOOD but BITD with French threadings you could reverse the cups with out harm. Except the lack of access to the adjustible cup now behind the RH arm... Second, is the Bb shell steel or Alu? If Alu the chance of thread damage is greater but the effort of chasing out less. Either way Locktite might be your friend. Third, the cups, when steel, are usually a harder grade of steel. This makes the shell the sacraficial lamb. While, as a hobby frame builder, i would not want to have BB shell's made of hardened steels (that would wear my costly cutters far more quickly), having the new cartridge BB units made of a soft steel might shift the damage to the BB. Of course the Bbs with Alu as their outsides are already pretty soft compared to steel shells. Andy.
Old 10-17-12, 09:40 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
This is an example of what Scuba divers call tunnel vision. You run into a problem, but are so highly focused that you continue making the same mistakes rather than considering alternate solutions. A typical example would be a diver who gets snagged on a fishing line, and works so hard to free himself, that he's soon thoroughly entangled.

I see this often in bike mechanics, who try to bull their way through a problem rather than stopping to see what may actually be wrong. We're all prone to this kind of error, so you have to train yourself to stop and think when you first find a problem. Everything you do working on a bike has a certain pattern, when you find yourself dealing with something that doesn't conform, stop immediately, and go no further until you know what's wrong. Often it helps to simply walk away for a while.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-17-12, 09:48 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
How much force does it take to thread the cup in the whole way ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-17-12, 10:03 AM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carefully marked a fork steerer for cutting, forgetting to include the stem in the stack. Went on and cut it too short.
Old 10-17-12, 10:20 AM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This is an example of what Scuba divers call tunnel vision. You run into a problem, but are so highly focused that you continue making the same mistakes rather than considering alternate solutions. A typical example would be a diver who gets snagged on a fishing line, and works so hard to free himself, that he's soon thoroughly entangled.

I see this often in bike mechanics, who try to bull their way through a problem rather than stopping to see what may actually be wrong. We're all prone to this kind of error, so you have to train yourself to stop and think when you first find a problem. Everything you do working on a bike has a certain pattern, when you find yourself dealing with something that doesn't conform, stop immediately, and go no further until you know what's wrong. Often it helps to simply walk away for a while.
FB... + 1 to that! In fact, in another thread here (Miyata - 'metric') I succumbed to tunnel vision and posted a reply without thinking it all the way through, and you corrected me in a manner which was thoroughly deserved!

The best thing to do if one gets frustrated is to walk away for a bit; take a walk around the block, check your e-mail, watch a funny video on YT. By the time you come back things will look much clearer!

Old 10-17-12, 10:23 AM
FMB42

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Often it helps to simply walk away for a while.
Yep, this is very sound advise. Btw, I once decided to replace the worn rear tire on my MTB. I removed the wheel, pulled the tire off, inserted a new tube, and put it all back together. Everything was fine, until I noticed my brand new, and yet to be installed, rear tire sitting against my garage wall...
Old 10-17-12, 10:33 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Was alcohol involved?
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Unfortunately, No.
Well, there's your problem!

I think we have all had to be bailed out by the LBS once or twice.
It happens.
Old 10-17-12, 12:18 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guano happens.
Old 10-18-12, 05:48 AM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan

Bikes use
brakes to stop.

If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.
Best. Sig. Ever.
Old 10-18-12, 06:24 AM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
Carefully marked a fork steerer for cutting, forgetting to include the stem in the stack. Went on and cut it too short.
I like to assemble it first, then mark for cutting. It's a little more work, but probably worth it.
Old 10-18-12, 06:49 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1

i think we have all had to be bailed out by the lbs once or twice.
Never !!!

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-18-12 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 07:43 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
Bought a set of built-up wheels. Checked for true and dish. Rear dish was off by a few mm. I've built up a few wheelsets before so I thought correcting the dish would be easy. Over-tightened the drive side spokes, I should have loosened the other side also. After ~2 stripped nipples or so I gave up and took them to the LBS.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"