Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Seeking crazy-bright rear light recommendations.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 11:38 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

I'm having difficulty finding something that meets my criteria, and I'm hoping y'all can help me out.

I ride primarily in the morning and often find myself riding into a rising sun, which makes me extremely difficult to see for motorists. I am looking for a super-bright rear light that would help me be visible under such conditions. But, I'm looking for something that has some sort of aiming capability. It doesn't matter if the light puts out 500 lumen, if it's angled toward the ground it's not going to make a difference. I want to be able to aim this into the motorists' view.

With that in mind, here are my criteria:
1. Super bright (i.e. 60+ lumens)
2. Seat post/stay mountable (or some otherwise clean installation)
3. Angle adjustable
4. "Aero" to some degree . . . I'd like a clean-looking install, not some drag-inducing brick hanging off the back of my bike
5. Self-contained (I don't want it to need an external power source)

I really like the look of the knog blinder r, but it's not angle-adjustable and so the light just shines on the back wheel/ground. But that's a good example of the kind of cleanliness I'm looking for.
Old 08-08-14, 11:55 AM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light and Motion VIS 180
Old 08-08-14, 11:58 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use the Serfas Thunderbolt taillight...now it is 35 lumens but I could see it from a mile away (rider was with me who also has one)...straps on to the seat stay, USB rechargeable (which reminds me )...steady or flash and two levels of brightness.

I also have the headlight.
Old 08-08-14, 12:02 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the price, this is a great light. Very bright.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DVA57Y/
Old 08-08-14, 12:06 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Dinotte.

DiNotte Lighting :: Ultimate Road Bicycle Lights

Not cheap, though.
Old 08-08-14, 12:08 PM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
+1
I have two on my handcycle. At 300 meters (measured), rising sun shining directly into the lens, they were still brighter than a car brake light at the same distance (though the source point was smaller). If money is no object, lights by Dinotte seem to be the gold standard.

ETA: ninja'd by achoo
Old 08-08-14, 12:09 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
60 lumens isn't crazy bright IMO. I have a Dinotte 300r, not cheap but it's bright. They make a daytime only 400r that IS crazy bright.

The Cygolite Hotshot is pretty bright but beware the brightness falls off precipitously once you get off-axis.
Old 08-08-14, 01:15 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by jkuper
Light and Motion VIS 180
+1.

Definitely one of the best taillights. Very bright, excellent beam pattern, very uniform illumination. Many of the really bright taillights have significant hot spots, which is both good and bad. If a motorist sees a hot spot, you're very bright, but if they're not in a hot spot, you're pretty invisible.
Old 08-08-14, 01:22 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Dinotte is what you want...Here it is against the Sun.

Old 08-08-14, 01:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
RNAV, the Dinotte 300 is what you need; riding into the setting sun is a very dangerous situation, so arm yourself well.

If a compromise is needed/required for some reason, given that you like the Blinder, you should check out the Knog Road R. It's brighter than the Blinder, and has angled emitters to compensate for seatpost angle.
Old 08-08-14, 01:31 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
Very decent and an excellent value but not crazy bright. You need to drop more coin for crazy bright.

Dinotte is crazy bright.
Old 08-08-14, 01:32 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Very decent and an excellent value but not crazy bright. You need to drop more coin for crazy bright.

Dinotte is crazy bright.
The Hotshot is not that bright,,I have one.

Old 08-08-14, 01:34 PM
sijray21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty happy with my PDW Danger Zone rear Blinky. Really bright, 3 settings, and small/aero if you place it behind your seatpost. $35 or less depending on where you buy it from.

Check out the reviews on YouTube to see it in action.
Old 08-08-14, 01:36 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Light and Motion stuff is good. Rechargeable Li-ion is the way to go.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-08-14, 01:37 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jkuper
Light and Motion VIS 180
1+

Vis 180 - Choose Your Light

The big one works better than the "micro". I've got both.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-08-14, 01:43 PM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Did you check that it's adjusted to full brightness? All the ones I have were at different levels when I first got them.
Old 08-08-14, 01:54 PM
Ridelots24
Clinging to guns/religion

Bikes: Litspd Cyx/ Paragon/ LHT/ Madone 5.2/ Spclzd TT/ Boone/ Lynskey 27.5/ Pugs / Colnago CLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Few years ago during a group ride one back light was dominant out of 4 lights. Dinotte.
i paid ~180 for my 350 lumen light but has a measurable difference on how traffic yields to me when in use.

with this age of 'texting' and easily distracted driving this wasnt a hard choice to make when it's about safety.

Dinotte - Dinotte - Dinotte.
Old 08-08-14, 02:21 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
RNAV, the Dinotte 300 is what you need; riding into the setting sun is a very dangerous situation, so arm yourself well.

If a compromise is needed/required for some reason, given that you like the Blinder, you should check out the Knog Road R. It's brighter than the Blinder, and has angled emitters to compensate for seatpost angle.
Concur. If you are worried enough to be seen that you are looking for something like this, then you need the real deal.

I also think that having a sharp edged pop to the flash is important. On that I would rule out the vis180. It's got a gentle pulsating type of light.

I have a Dinotte 300R and, while it is fairly directional, if the car is lined up on you, this will burn through the glare. I doubt that a 60 lumen light will do.

My other suggestion is a Niteflux Red Zone 8. In flash mode, it will put out 800 lumens but it is anything but a directional light. In point of fact, it will put out light in front of you too. That said, 800 lumens as a point source bright light is going to come through very well against the sun.

FWIW, I have both the Dinotte and the Red Zone 8. In both cases, I observe the phenomena of cars slowing down and going way wide with both lights. You get different behavior out of these than you do out of any of the battery powered blinkie style of lights.

I also have a Knoog blinder - it's another blinkie style light and nothing more.

J.
Old 08-08-14, 02:49 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I also think that having a sharp edged pop to the flash is important. On that I would rule out the vis180. It's got a gentle pulsating type of light.
Good for visibility; bad for avoidance. It is very difficult to track a bright, flashing light during the dark. A "jitter" (steady light with a flicker every couple seconds) is a better strategy. A gentle pulse is the next best strategy. I like it.
Old 08-08-14, 02:57 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
It is very difficult to track a bright, flashing light during the dark.
I thought it was pretty much implied we're talking about daytime visibility. A cheap blinkie is adequate in the dark IMO. I wouldn't dare turn my 300r on strobe mode at night. That would just be cruel to anyone driving behind me.
Old 08-08-14, 03:49 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Correct, but it also costs only $30. I think it's an excellent choice for urban commuters.

For dealing faster traffic and lower visibility conditions, I'd go with something brighter.

Originally Posted by Dunbar
I thought it was pretty much implied we're talking about daytime visibility. The Hotshot everyone keeps referring to is decent if you're A cheap blinkie is adequate in the dark IMO. I wouldn't dare turn my 300r on strobe mode at night. That would just be cruel to anyone driving behind me.
I don't favor cheap blinkies anywhere since they are next to invisible in most conditions. Having said that, I agree that the Dinotte is way overkill for in town riding. But if you're riding on rural highways in storms or other bad visibility conditions such as bright sunlight, it's what you want.

For in town riding in dark and overcast conditions, there are a number of decent choices for less than $50.
Old 08-08-14, 03:55 PM
dave5339

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 700C, Rans Seavo tandem, Giant OCR-2 & a Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run Dinotte lights on all my bikes. I run a 300R and a 400R on different bikes. I run them day or night as I want to be SEEN by traffic.

I ride early morning in full dark, commute in early mornings and late afternoons, (sunrise and sunset) and on my long rides might be out any time of the day.

I've had folks tell me that they saw the 400R at over a mile.

Yes if your riding in a group, people will complain that it's too bright, I'd rather it be too bright than get smacked by a semi some morning out there at 0400.

And if you shop the used market, sometimes Dinotte's come up at stupid cheap prices.

Semper Fi
Old 08-08-14, 04:02 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
I don't favor cheap blinkies anywhere since they are next to invisible in most conditions. Having said that, I agree that the Dinotte is way overkill for in town riding. But if you're riding on rural highways in storms or other bad visibility conditions such as bright sunlight, it's what you want.
Cheap blinkies are fine in the dark as long as the batteries aren't close to dying (I've seen my fair share of that BTW.) During the day you need a lot more lumens to be seen, especially in direct sunlight. During the day I alternate my Dinotte 300r between steady flash mode and obnoxious strobe mode depending on how visible I want to be. I do not agree that the Dinotte is overkill for in town riding in direct sunlight. I'd say the 300r is pretty much the minimum amount of light that I'm comfortable with during daylight. I am surprised that we haven't seen some cheaper alternatives to Dinotte rear lights at this point. Just look at how ridiculously bright LED headlights have gotten in the last few years.
Old 08-08-14, 04:06 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Good for visibility; bad for avoidance. It is very difficult to track a bright, flashing light during the dark. A "jitter" (steady light with a flicker every couple seconds) is a better strategy. A gentle pulse is the next best strategy. I like it.

This is for visibility during the day. That said, where do you find the information that on the flashing vs slow pulse stuff? I've not seen that anywhere.

What I've seen, and it's evident with both my high powered tail lights (and widely documented by other users), that the super bright tail lights evoke different behavior in drivers: They slow down significantly and give cyclists much more room. I'd have to believe that is contradicts your statement on flashing vs pulsing unless I'm not understanding what you are saying.

J.
Old 08-08-14, 04:08 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Dinotte is what you want...Here it is against the Sun.

This^^^
I have the 400 lumen ext. battery rear. People see me from over a mike away and give me a much wider space, day or night. It's expensive but it's also the best piece of equipment out there to keep u alive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.