Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Slower on new carbon bike vs. aluminum?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-14-14, 01:07 PM
MM80

Bikes: Masi PC1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I am confused as why I am slower on my new carbon bike vs. old aluminum? I tried many same segments on Strava during my commute and after 3 months still I could get second best or third best but simply it feels so hard to beat any records set when I started riding in April and now it is August so I should be faster with weekly average of 80 miles / week.

I had FELT Z85 with 105 components and it got stolen, recently I bought MASI PC1 with Carbon Frame and Sora components.

Weight was comparable between Masi and Felt about ~21 lbs. Wheels are comparable weight as well, as well but after few months I can not beet some of the records I have made with FELT.

I also upgraded wheels to lighter wheels (Reynolds Solitude), my diet didn't change, bike seems fit.

The only thing I could possibly imagine is stiffness as I am heaver rider (230lbs)

Could it be the stiffness of the frame ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
masi bike.jpg (101.7 KB, 114 views)
Old 08-14-14, 01:08 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lol
Old 08-14-14, 01:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Felts are fast bikes..I put 39,000 miles on my Felt.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 08-14-14 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 01:12 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
You'd expect the bikes weighing the same to be comparably fast, all else equal.

The Masi isn't magically faster because its CF

What probably isn't equal is your position. If your fitness is the same or better, the most likely explanation is that your position is a bit more upright, i.e. less aero, on the Masi
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-14-14, 01:18 PM
MM80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You'd expect the bikes weighing the same to be comparably fast, all else equal.

The Masi isn't magically faster because its CF

What probably isn't equal is your position. If your fitness is the same or better, the most likely explanation is that your position is a bit more upright, i.e. less aero, on the Masi
Thanks for reply. I know that my fitness improved because my heart rate is reduced for the same efforts.

I didn't mention that the MASI is 56cm not 58 cm as my previous Felt, and also the components are Sora on Masi vs 105 on felt. Could components make a difference, like quality of hubs, bottom bracket etc ?

Also could it be that difference in frame dimensions affect power distribution ?

Last edited by MM80; 08-14-14 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 01:20 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
HTFU

Like for real.
Old 08-14-14, 01:29 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
This

And/or weather conditions, accuracy of measurement, and all the other variables related to human performance and the natural environment.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-14-14, 01:41 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not fit properly, different gearing, hotter weather, wind conditions, ....... The list goes on and on.
Old 08-14-14, 01:43 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MM80
Thanks for reply. I know that my fitness improved because my heart rate is reduced for the same efforts.
How do you know it's the same effort? Are you using a power meter? If not, then hard to say two rides were the same effort. Also, same effort doesn't equal same results as wind alone could change results. Also, beating a PR isn't as easy as it seems. You make a PR when all the conditions are favorable (wind, hydration, fitness, energy level, etc.). To break that PR you need all these to be favorable again or you have to make marked improvements in fitness and still have everything else remain similar. Buying a new bike (unless you are going from mtb or hybrid to road bike) isn't enough by itself to suddenly make you better.
Old 08-14-14, 01:45 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Getting old
Old 08-14-14, 01:56 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look, you went from 5700 105 to 3500 Sora. That 2200 difference has to come back and bite you somewhere.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 08-14-14, 01:59 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I've used a Kona Dew Drop for most of my commutes for 5 years and I started running Strava about 3 years ago. Last fall I picked up a Z85, it's about 6lbs lighter, better components, etc. Even after a year, my old Kona owns some of my PR for my commuting route. This is a little shocking, but with the number of rides the Kona has, it's understandable. Just the right wind conditions, just the right timing on lights, etc. The Felt is taking over most of my top three, but I still get a little giggle to see the old Kona in the top 3 on a segment.

IMO - if the new CF bike is about the same weight as the Z85, there will be a very small improvement in performance. CF by itself will not be fast.

The Kona Dew Drop:
Attached Images
Old 08-14-14, 02:04 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the dork disk and reflectors.

S
Old 08-14-14, 02:05 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

You should have bought a red bike. Red bikes are faster.
Old 08-14-14, 02:15 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Didn't help Kristoff.

Old 08-14-14, 02:16 PM
MM80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
How do you know it's the same effort? Are you using a power meter? If not, then hard to say two rides were the same effort. Also, same effort doesn't equal same results as wind alone could change results. Also, beating a PR isn't as easy as it seems. You make a PR when all the conditions are favorable (wind, hydration, fitness, energy level, etc.). To break that PR you need all these to be favorable again or you have to make marked improvements in fitness and still have everything else remain similar. Buying a new bike (unless you are going from mtb or hybrid to road bike) isn't enough by itself to suddenly make you better.
Thanks for reply. I agree, I don't have a power meter. My idea was that after ~30 rides on new bike I should improve my commute time significantly, given that I lost ~20 lbs since I started cycling and probably improved fitness.
Old 08-14-14, 02:17 PM
MM80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've used a Kona Dew Drop for most of my commutes for 5 years and I started running Strava about 3 years ago. Last fall I picked up a Z85, it's about 6lbs lighter, better components, etc. Even after a year, my old Kona owns some of my PR for my commuting route. This is a little shocking, but with the number of rides the Kona has, it's understandable. Just the right wind conditions, just the right timing on lights, etc. The Felt is taking over most of my top three, but I still get a little giggle to see the old Kona in the top 3 on a segment.

IMO - if the new CF bike is about the same weight as the Z85, there will be a very small improvement in performance. CF by itself will not be fast.

The Kona Dew Drop:
How long is your commute?
Old 08-14-14, 02:18 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by bikerjp
Didn't help Kristoff.

Imagine how slow he would have been on a blue bike though.
Old 08-14-14, 02:26 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Commute time is an awful indicator, at least for me. Traffic lights and amount of traffic have more bearing on my record attempts than gearing or frame material.

Also, without being on the same wheels and tires it is incredibly difficult to test the real effects of a frame change.
Old 08-14-14, 02:27 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

How long is your commute?
The direct route is 8.5 miles and I have some variations since the direct route includes 4-lane/40 mph roads without shoulders (I avoid these roads when I don't want to be stressed out, dontcha know).
Old 08-14-14, 02:30 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by RollCNY
Commute time is an awful indicator, at least for me. Traffic lights and amount of traffic have more bearing on my record attempts than gearing or frame material.

Also, without being on the same wheels and tires it is incredibly difficult to test the real effects of a frame change.
I know one other factor in my Strava finishes on my commute... Was there another rider up the road that I MUST PASS!!
Old 08-14-14, 02:39 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Could components make a difference, like quality of hubs, bottom bracket etc ?
Deminimis. Friction in all the various components is a very small part of the equation. Far and away the biggest force involved (on flat ground) is wind resistance, then rolling resistance of the tires on pavement. Mechanical friction in the bearings is a distant third.

Any difference in the friction between the two component groups would be so small as to be noise in this computation.

Quality of the shifting might have a very small effect, to the extent better feeling and quicker shifting might encourage you to be in the most efficient gear more, and might give a positive sensation of quality that could encourage you to push harder.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-14-14, 02:39 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
The direct route is 8.5 miles and I have some variations since the direct route includes 4-lane/40 mph roads without shoulders (I avoid these roads when I don't want to be stressed out, dontcha know).
You betcha!
Old 08-14-14, 02:42 PM
MM80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deminimis. Friction in all the various components is a very small part of the equation. Far and away the biggest force involved (on flat ground) is wind resistance, then rolling resistance of the tires on pavement. Mechanical friction in the bearings is a distant third.

Any difference in the friction between the two component groups would be so small as to be noise in this computation.

Quality of the shifting might have a very small effect, to the extent better feeling and quicker shifting might encourage you to be in the most efficient gear more, and might give a positive sensation of quality that could encourage you to push harder.

How about frame stiffness ?
Old 08-14-14, 03:08 PM
MM80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
I totally agree, the reason I got it is because it was after my bike got stolen and it was a good deal... Not really liking the blue black and white

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.