Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Colnago, Bianchi, Wilier, Ridley wot you lot think?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 06:52 PM
tottenham21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally in about 2 more months I'll be able to upgrade my current bike for a carbon frame one, being doing some research and narrowed it down to the brands I mention on the subject above, my buget will be no more than $3,400, I know it really comes down to which bike fits & feels better but ultimately I would like to hear from any of ya that has or already have own some of this specific bikes and could give me some good feedback pro & cons on each one..Thanks in advance & wait for replies.
Old 08-15-14, 07:20 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I bought a Wilier Grand Turismo last January 10 spd with Ultegra. I bought because I still prefer the threaded Bottom Brackets easier to service and shimano cranks. I also was looking for a name bike that was not one of the BIG 3. After 2600 miles it has been great no issues. Rides well very stable and moves did an 85 mile ride on it today in fact. The internal cable routing looks good but frankly I do not mind the regular cable routing easier to service and deal with also. Rides as good as anything you can buy for the price and the bike looks so cool. I just put Conti GP4000 II with red sidewalls on it to match the frame accent looks great.

Now here is the kicker for those Bike Direct haters. I also have a Motobecane Immortal Spirit 2010 with Dura Ace 7800 that I also ride. This bike has 8600 miles on it and actually is a bit lighter than the Wilier but not much. The Moto is a tad bit twitchier with steering and not quite as stable on high speed descends but other wise I like that bike just as well. If I had it to do over again I probably would have bought an new 11 speed Motobecane for about the same money.

Please note I am my own mechanic and wheeler builder so going through Bikes Direct and having to put it together myself is no issue. Frankly I would build my own bike but it is just cheaper to buy the whole bike.
Old 08-15-14, 09:31 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After fit, good material A is better than entry level material B.

From your list I own a aluminum Bianchi and a steel Colnago. Both are great bikes. The only carbon frames I've ridden that I would think of buying are out of your budgets range just for the frame.
Old 08-15-14, 09:37 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Budget is your problem. $3400? Who cares what you buy.
Old 08-15-14, 11:12 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why those brands? Not sure where you live, but around here it would be hard to find any of them. If that is what you have locally then go ride them and see what you like. $3000 is a good budget for a solid mid level bike and if you shop sales you can stretch your funds. However, focusing on less common brands may mean just the opposite.
Old 08-15-14, 11:28 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
All great bikes. Just get the one that you think will impress complete strangers while hanging out at the local coffee shop.
Old 08-16-14, 12:24 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
Why those brands? Not sure where you live, but around here it would be hard to find any of them. If that is what you have locally then go ride them and see what you like. $3000 is a good budget for a solid mid level bike and if you shop sales you can stretch your funds. However, focusing on less common brands may mean just the opposite.
Because they're fancy Euro brands. But yeah finding some of the bikes to test ride might be difficult so if you really want one you might be special ordering it blind
Old 08-16-14, 02:12 AM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Because they're fancy Euro brands. But yeah finding some of the bikes to test ride might be difficult so if you really want one you might be special ordering it blind
Right. Colnago, Bianchi and Wilier are all Italian, and Ridley is Belgian, though, in a bike at this price level, only the final assembly and possibly some painting is going to be happening in Europe, with the frame made in Taiwan and most other parts made somewhere in East Asia. Colnago makes C60 in Italy but it wants upwards of 6 grand for the frameset alone. I don't think any of the other three do any manufacturing in the Old World.

It's not clear what kind of research would result in the choice being narrowed to these brands. Especially since the question is "Wilier vs Ridley" rather than, say, "Wilier Cento1Air vs Ridley Noah".
Old 08-16-14, 08:12 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Yep. You need to say what models of each brand you are looking at. Components are also important as well as fit and geometry.
Old 08-28-14, 08:47 AM
tottenham21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok lads sorry for the late reply but here it is, all the bikes I'm looking at I am able to find in the area local bike shops near my house, I live in Dallas Tx so have no problems finding a good reliable lbs, as far as models go was thinking of Bianchi sempre pro with ultegras, Colnago cx30 I think also ultegras, Wilier grand turismo same thing and the Ridley noah also with ultegras, personally I'm leaning more towards the Bianchi sempre pro, that bike just feels great and it flies at supersonic speeds hahahaha, hope that answered some of the questions.
Old 08-28-14, 08:50 AM
tottenham21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also I already own a trek 2.1 aluminum as my first road entry bike, don't really fancy another trek nor like the other common brands you see all the time on regular rides like the likes of Cannondale, specialized, cervelo and of course the trek.
Old 08-28-14, 09:02 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not bias, but I am taking home a Bianchi Infinito CV Chorus tonight after I get off work...
Old 08-28-14, 09:18 AM
tottenham21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like that Infinito cv too but is out of my price range that's why I was leaning towards the Bianchi sempre pro, good on ya & ride that baby hard..
Old 08-28-14, 09:22 AM
tottenham21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny enough the bloke in charge of one of the LBS I went to the other day to look at Bianchis told me that the Intenso is exactly the same frame on the Infinito but without the CV, what's your thoughts on that?
Old 08-28-14, 09:51 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tottenham21
Funny enough the bloke in charge of one of the LBS I went to the other day to look at Bianchis told me that the Intenso is exactly the same frame on the Infinito but without the CV, what's your thoughts on that?
The only reason I am purchasing the Infinito is the CV, else I would have picked up a Roubaix, or steel
Old 08-28-14, 10:21 AM
mlander

Bikes: 2014 Scattante CFR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If exclusivity is what you seek, exclude Ridley from your list. They are sold at Performance Bikes now. The appeal amongst bike snobs is thus instantly undermined.
Old 08-28-14, 10:29 AM
coldehammer

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, De Rosa Merak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would take a Colnago, their vintage bikes are a classic for a reason. I have a 15 yr old De Rosa and it handles like a dream (them Italians are proud of their products).
Old 08-28-14, 01:55 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The Intenso is basically the previous generation Infinito. I've got an Infinito (non-CV) and its a great bike, its a nice blend of endurance and race feel. I would definitely test both the Intenso and Sempre.
Old 08-28-14, 02:01 PM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridley is also sold at Mountain Equipment Co-op, a Canadian firm. I am a co-op member, and I know most of their equipment is quality stuff, as a co-op they do like value, but are less brand conscious than some places. It is nice to see a full line there.
Old 08-29-14, 08:46 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok lads sorry for the late reply but here it is, all the bikes I'm looking at I am able to find in the area local bike shops near my house, I live in Dallas Tx so have no problems finding a good reliable lbs, as far as models go was thinking of Bianchi sempre pro with ultegras, Colnago cx30 I think also ultegras, Wilier grand turismo same thing and the Ridley noah also with ultegras, personally I'm leaning more towards the Bianchi sempre pro, that bike just feels great and it flies at supersonic speeds hahahaha, hope that answered some of the questions.
Those are all great bikes and yes they are hard to find in the right size to test out. All of those bikes were on my recent list except for the Noah. I was looking at the Fenix instead. They are all beautiful. I narrowed it down to the Colnago CLX and the Wilier. In the end, I went with the CLX but I would have been just as happy with the Wilier. I actually looked at the Wilier GTR instead of the GTS. They are essentially the same but I liked the black/lime green of the GTR, which I would have had to order from Europe.
I also went with Campy Athena as opposed to Ultegra. If you are going to go Italian, go Italian. (So says the Irishman)
Good luck with the search. It is half the fun.
Old 08-29-14, 08:56 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
Right. Colnago, Bianchi and Wilier are all Italian, and Ridley is Belgian, though, in a bike at this price level, only the final assembly and possibly some painting is going to be happening in Europe, with the frame made in Taiwan and most other parts made somewhere in East Asia. Colnago makes C60 in Italy but it wants upwards of 6 grand for the frameset alone. I don't think any of the other three do any manufacturing in the Old World.

It's not clear what kind of research would result in the choice being narrowed to these brands. Especially since the question is "Wilier vs Ridley" rather than, say, "Wilier Cento1Air vs Ridley Noah".
Who cares where the bikes are made? We would all probably be surprised if we truly knew. Almost all bikes are made in Taiwan or China at this point. Colnago, Bianchi,Wilier and etc. are not stamping their brand on cheap bikes. The bikes are built to their standards. Your tires and components are all coming from someplace different than their parent company. Who cares? I have not heard a slew of people complaining about the quality of any of the top companies bikes. In fact, I have never heard anything but admiration from anybody who rides those Italian brands.
I am not knocking any other bike company. They all build good bikes. The OP just wants something different from the masses. I have heard this before and I have also heard a million times that Trek is made in the U.S. Yes, Trek is the largest builder in the U.S. They only build about 10% of the bikes here though. Their frames are made overseas as well. Who cares. Trek is a great bike, just like the Italian brands are great bikes. I have owned both and been very happy with both. Like the OP, I wanted something different. Thus, I went Italian.
Old 08-29-14, 10:02 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Colnago, Bianchi and Willier will be overpriced for what you are getting.
Old 08-29-14, 10:31 AM
tottenham21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Between the Intenso and the Infinito cv the frames are the same but the intenso does not have the cv module but another thing is that also the intenso is about nearly $ 3,500 cheaper. I like the sempre but will have to definitely decide if it's worth paying the difference between sempre and the intenso. I haven't had the chance to test ride the Wilier yet.
Old 08-29-14, 11:07 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
How tolerant are you of people mispronouncing the name of your bike?
Old 08-29-14, 11:54 AM
jsmil4901

Bikes: Roubaix elite,Bontrager Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Colnago, Bianchi and Willier will be overpriced for what you are getting.
What isn't overpriced?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.