Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"Turn your ********** light off!"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"Turn your ********** light off!"

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 11:17 AM
Bike Hermit
ghost on a machine

Bikes: Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, Serotta Colorado Legend TG, Rivendell Roadeo, Surly Cross Check, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never been to Germany but apparently bicycles and bicycling are taken a little more seriously there than in the US. So much more in fact that the rules for vehicles on the road include bicycles. I personally don't see the point of a flashing headlight, ever, and headlights designed for the German rules don't flash. Some of the new German lights do have daytime running lights though- several LEDs which aren't meant to illuminate the road but which are bright enough for oncoming traffic to see. These running lights are off or less intense at night when the main beam is on....and they don't flash. The beams are also focused so they light the road instead of the trees! I would take that to mean the studies they have done don't indicate that a bright flashing headlight is more safe for any traffic participant. I almost always want to say something to somebody with an annoyingly bright, blinding headlight, whether it is flashing or not...and I ride a bike more than I drive a car. I try to behave as a traffic participant as much as possible and the aggressive gesture of a blinding, flashing light does not make me feel more comfortable. I'm not encouraged that the confrontational sentiments expressed in some of the comments will further the bicycle commuting cause. It's not us vs. them. Sometimes I drive a car and sometimes I'm on the bike. Peter White is the guru of all things related to proper bicycle lighting IMO.
Old 09-18-14, 11:18 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I was with you right up until that.

Even I find lights that bright incredibly annoying on strobe and have stopped other cyclists to ask them to at least point it down out of my eyes.

I recommend a less powerful light to use as a blinky. I use a 200 lumen DiNotte as a daytime blinky, and at twilight and darker, even that's a bit much.
Yeah, same here. I think low powered blinky lights are good for after dark, and I understand higher powered ones because they're bright enough during the day. But 700 lumens, blinking, around dusk - that is pretty obnoxious.

I've seen some recent rear lights that are interesting - they have a light sensor in them, they put out more light during the day and automatically less light at night so their high power daytime mode doesn't blind the crap out of people at night.
Old 09-18-14, 11:19 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Neat!

I'm not sure that having a light with a blinking option (but not used, only used in steady mode) should be against the rules. This may limit a buyers choices.

My new light has 2 LEDs (not unlike the one shown) and one of the options is to have the lights blink alternately. For me, especially in the dark at 6:15am this morning, the beam thrown on the road in front of me was virtually a solid light but for oncoming vehicles, it might produce a slight blinking as the light switches back and forth between the two bulbs.

Attached Images
File Type: png
2014-09-18_131654.png (10.5 KB, 158 views)
Old 09-18-14, 11:26 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have video of 2 instances (and 2 more instances that I don't have video) of oncoming drivers pulling into my lane to pass people, in each case forcing me into the gravel on the side of the road and missing me by less than 2 feet (going 60+ MPH in the opposite direction).

All of these happened the same summer, over the course of about 8 weeks.

After the first instance, I started riding with my headlight (cheap clone, about 450 lumens) on. Three of the instances happened with the headlight on.

Then i got fed up and started running a flashing light, much dimmer because I thought 450 lumens was too much to flash.

My current light is an Ignita which is probably only about 40 lumens, flashing.

It's been over a year since then and starting the day that I started running flashing front, I haven't had a single car do that. I HAVE had cars start to pull around to pass, but then they saw me and pulled back in line again.

It's still anecdotal, but it's good enough for me.

As I said, I'm not going to run 450 lumens flashing, but I will run a front flasher.
Old 09-18-14, 11:31 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I ran 3 bright strobes on the front yesterday. No complaints.

Old 09-18-14, 11:35 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I know that a super bright/blinding blinking light can be annoying to cagers. But so what?
In the grand scheme of things, it ranks pretty low on the annoy list.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-18-14, 11:39 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
It doesn't mean people weren't annoyed, it just means that no one voiced that annoyance.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-18-14, 11:45 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I have a 1300 lumen light and the daytime flash feature gets compliments from drivers. But it's not just a generic flash, it has 3 or 4 patterns to choose from, and I think (just by looking from the front) it doesn't use the entire 1300 in flash mode.
Old 09-18-14, 11:47 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

Old 09-18-14, 11:59 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
You like to pedantic, eh?

I even found an English description for you

Chicargobike: StVZO? German Bicycle Requirements Make Sense

Aside from that, there is nothing in that link that tells me that my blinking light is a danger, except maybe to me if it makes it harder for others to judge my distance.

I remain unconvinced.

Last edited by CbadRider; 09-18-14 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary remark
Old 09-18-14, 12:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
report the threat before she flips out and kills someone
Old 09-18-14, 12:21 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
+1
Old 09-18-14, 12:46 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
I was going to say that PSE is a real thing, we have to keep it in mind with regard to web accessibility (some old-style animated GIF images could trigger PSE but they are rarely used anymore).

I must admit, that the other day, I saw an oncoming cyclist (proper lane, not salmoning) with an extremely bright flashing front light. I felt that it was too bright but I certainly wouldn't take the same route your driver suggested.

I wonder if my new light also is too bright and so I point the light downwards a bit, pointing about 6m/yd in front of me. It will still be bright but not directly shining in anyone's eyes or directly into a side- or rear-view mirror (I can't do anything about the beam when cresting a hill but that should be only momentary).
I have seen some VERY bright lights on bikes and it would be distracting to me if some of the very bright ones were flashing. Perhaps the OP's light needs adjusting.
Old 09-18-14, 12:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I know that a super bright/blinding blinking light can be annoying to cagers. But so what?
In the grand scheme of things, it ranks pretty low on the annoy list.
Gratuitously annoying as many so-called "cagers" as possible (as well as unworthy cyclists)ranks pretty high on some cyclist's scheme of priority; teach 'em all a lesson, so what, eh?
Old 09-18-14, 01:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Report the so-called "threat" to whom, the police? If they didn't ignore the trivial nature of the "threat", it might be possible that LEO would look at the lighting setup and issue a citation of some sort to the OP.
Old 09-18-14, 01:03 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I have video of 2 instances (and 2 more instances that I don't have video) of oncoming drivers pulling into my lane to pass people, in each case forcing me into the gravel on the side of the road and missing me by less than 2 feet (going 60+ MPH in the opposite direction).

All of these happened the same summer, over the course of about 8 weeks.

After the first instance, I started riding with my headlight (cheap clone, about 450 lumens) on. Three of the instances happened with the headlight on.

Then i got fed up and started running a flashing light, much dimmer because I thought 450 lumens was too much to flash.

My current light is an Ignita which is probably only about 40 lumens, flashing.

It's been over a year since then and starting the day that I started running flashing front, I haven't had a single car do that. I HAVE had cars start to pull around to pass, but then they saw me and pulled back in line again.

It's still anecdotal, but it's good enough for me.

As I said, I'm not going to run 450 lumens flashing, but I will run a front flasher.
Yeah, as both a driver and a biker, I think reasonable light output lights that blink are excellent for visibility. I know I definitely see bikes better that have them, especially during the day or when there's no light at night.

I've seen some interesting lights lately that have both high and low light output modes, and have a sensor to automatically adjust based on ambient lighting.
Old 09-18-14, 01:08 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Report the so-called "threat" to whom, the police? If they didn't ignore the trivial nature of the "threat", it might be possible that LEO would look at the lighting setup and issue a citation of some sort to the OP.
A citation for what?

61-8-607. Lamps and other equipment on bicycles. (1) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front. A lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear may be used in addition to rear-facing reflectors required by this section.

(2) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with an essentially colorless front-facing reflector, essentially colorless or amber pedal reflectors, and a red rear-facing reflector. Pedal reflectors shall be mounted on the front and back of each pedal.
(3) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with either tires with retroflective sidewalls or reflectors mounted on the spokes of each wheel. Spoke mounted reflectors shall be within 76 millimeters (3 inches) of the inside of the rim and shall be visible on each side of the wheel. The reflectors on the front wheel shall be essentially colorless or amber and the reflectors on the rear wheel shall be amber or red.
(4) Reflectors required by this section shall be of a type approved by the department.
(5) Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
(6) Every bicycle is encouraged to be equipped with a flag clearly visible from the rear and suspended not less than 6 feet above the roadway when the bicycle is standing upright. The flag shall be fluorescent orange in color.
Old 09-18-14, 01:10 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PennyTheDog
Can't please everybody!
I try.

I run two headlights, one steady on medium the other on flash during the daytime.

Both medium steady at night. Plenty bright for me to see comfortably out here in the rural areas and I haven't yet had a driver flash their brights as they do at other cars with their high beams on.

All I ever get is compliments from people when at the stores. A lot of them have stories of almost hitting a cyclist that they didn't see and they appreciate the attention grabbing lights.

I don't live in Germany and don't give a rat's ass what they make illegal.
Old 09-18-14, 01:22 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just turn the light on steady or get a dimmer blinky. Flashing bright lights are very annoying and distracting to other road users.
Old 09-18-14, 01:26 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I run a blinking light 24-7. A cygolight metro 350. In addition to the hi, low, blink, it has what I call a pulse while on high. Works well. When I am in my car, the bikers I notice first have a blinking light on, 'nuff said.
Old 09-18-14, 01:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by scroca
A citation for what?
For intentionally being an obnoxious jerk (or exceptionally dimwitted) when interacting with other users of streets?
Old 09-18-14, 01:31 PM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Safety first. I ridejust like that. When I can see well enough I turn on the strobe. It's amazing how the street signs light up. Anyway the epelectic thing.. I'm no doc, but woudn't you maybe have to be exposed to flashing lights for a longer period of time than a bicyclist passig you to trigger an attack? Just wondering.
Old 09-18-14, 01:36 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
This thread is heating up, colour me impressed
Old 09-18-14, 01:38 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
but you didn't see any of that in my post.
Now you're instructing people as to what they see/don't see.

Not only is that horrible English, but it's also ... ahem ... interesting.

I could "see" you facilitating an altercation with a motorist.
Old 09-18-14, 01:39 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A citation for what?

61-8-607. Lamps and other equipment on bicycles.....
61-8-102 (9) Only a police vehicle or an authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with the means to flash or alternate its headlamps or its backup lights.

Crazier things have happened in cyclist/motorist disputes - cyclist gets cited for something picky, motorist gets let off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.