Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Cycling/Exercise/Sports Reports - Oct 18/19

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-18-14, 03:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

Another lovely weekend for cycling ... tell us about your cycling adventures!! Where did you ride? Who did you ride with? Did you see anything interesting along the way?

[HR][/HR]

Saturday -- 100.22 km!

Today, we drove out to Ranelagh, a little town not too far away, and set off on our ride about 10:45 am. We had beautiful blue sky above, a temperature about 16C, and winds gusting to 31 km/h ... but mostly from behind us. Lovely day for a ride ... and surrounded by gorgeous scenery. Mountains, valleys, the Huon River, farms, orchards ...

The route consisted of rolling hills almost all the way along, with a few steep ones, and at least one longer challenge. And the route also included a couple stretches of gravel just to keep things interesting.

We cycled the long way to Huonville and I had lots of energy ... the tailwind probably had something to do with that. We made a quick stop in Huonville, and then continued to Cygnet via the foreshore road. That is such a nice road with more beautiful scenery. We had moved a little way out of the mountains, although they were still very visible, and were cycling along the Huon River as it starts to widen. The road was very quiet ... very enjoyable.

As we got closer to Cygnet, we tackled a couple steep, but relatively short, hills ... and then my energy died. Probably ran out of fuel. We dragged into Cygnet and found a place to eat ... Welsh Rarebit and a bowl of chips. Then Tiramisu for desert. Mmmmm!! Good cycling food, but probably not quite enough to drink.

We climbed out of Cygnet ... it's a long climb that starts gradually and then gets steeper toward the end. But once we got over the top, the road down to Huonville was pretty good. We did, however, have something of a headwind by then.

We had about 20 km to go to reach 100 km, so we cycled out to Ranelagh, where we started, on the medium route ... then back into Huonville on the short route, and a bit of a tour around Huonville and back to Ranelagh. And we were done!

A few highlights ...

The curious little goats! There were 3 little goats who must have heard us coming because they started bleating before I could see them, and then they all came running around the corner of a building to see us. Great excitement!

And then, just as we topped a hill, off to the right we saw an interesting scene. A farmer was digging under a tree, and while he was working, a small collection of cows stood in a line watching him ... supervising the work. All but one who was facing the opposite direction! As we got closer, Rowan called out and asked if they (the cows) had given him (the farmer) a score yet, and mentioned the one facing the opposite direction. The guy laughed and said, "It's a bit like that!". Then he commented that he thought they should be pouring him a beer!

And of course, the stunning scenery ... I've got a few photos.

Last edited by Machka; 10-18-14 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-18-14, 06:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Near the beginning of the ride ...

Last edited by Machka; 10-18-14 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-18-14, 11:24 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sat: 29mi fast shop ride. temps warmed up faster than i thought, so that was good. hit a few good hills to show the big guys what the skinny guys do. more core group was there today so it was much smoother than when the summer fair weather folk show up and mess up the flow.

sun: hopefully an easy cruise
Old 10-18-14, 12:54 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Today I did the "Tick Ridge Ramble", a 44 mile ride to celebrate a club member's birthday. It was a bit cool at the start so I was there with arm and leg warmers on.

This was about half of the riders. The recumbent rider is a really good rider. and climber!

The fast group was holding a strategy meeting away from us regular folks.

The ride was in Northwest Limestone county in Northern Alabama. We were close to the Tennessee River on the first part of the ride.

Lots of birds in the backwater areas near the river.

Looking East at the Elk river. It's really wide here because it's close to joining the Tenn. river. Usually lots of fishing boats are out on the water.

44 miles, 15.6 mph avg. 38.2 mph max, 1585 feet of climbing. Lots of milk goats, horses and cows. It's cotton picking time and the combines and trucks were out and about.

Last edited by bbattle; 10-18-14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 03:13 PM
Igualmente

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fall in Southern Ontario. The yellow leaves were blowing off the trees and blowing well across the road before landing.

8 degrees. Winds 20 kph, gusting to 35. The occasional bit of mist/light rain.

Not a day to stop for the scenery. 40 km was enough.
Old 10-18-14, 08:29 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
43.5 miles with the "liar's club" this morning. They insisted on calling themselves the 16-18mph group at the start...then averaged 20.5 for the first 25 miles. Finished with a 19.9 average for the ride which is my fastest ride average ever and put down PRs on 24 strava segments along the way. Fun ride in perfect weather...around 75F and sunny with almost no wind.
Old 10-18-14, 08:54 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
you should put that on your strava's ride title.. "16-18avg...riiiight" way to hang in there though. sometimes you don't know you can until you try
Old 10-19-14, 05:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Middle of Saturday's 100 km ride ...

(click for more photos ... )
Old 10-19-14, 06:29 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Lovely scenery, Machka. Spring in full swing down there.
Old 10-19-14, 06:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by bbattle
Lovely scenery, Machka. Spring in full swing down there.
It is! Everything is blooming. There were a few places along the ride where we were riding on a carpet of blossoms.
Old 10-19-14, 06:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

And toward the end of the ride ...

Old 10-19-14, 08:53 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
saturday: i did 31.4 miles from palo alto to rewood city and back, the weather was nice and cool with light wind.
sunday:20-25 mile ride with my parents biking group around palo alto.

i got a to ride my new carbon felt Z5 road bike, it has been a while.
Old 10-19-14, 04:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday -- it was cooler, drizzly, and windy ... so we went to the gym.

I did a 20-minute interval-ish ride on the spin bike, 10 minutes of rowing, and 20 minutes walking briskly at an incline on the treadmill.

Rowan ran and swam.
Old 10-19-14, 05:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Hill climbing ride- 56 miles, 6,700' climbing. The weather cleared & it was super beautiful, especially along the coast.

Turkeys, squirrel, deer, hawks, seals, egrets. Found a seat bag, which I thought might have been dropped by one of our group. Turned out to contain a tubular, etc., but no ID. Posted on craigslist.

Bofax Mt Tam hill climb - A bike ride in San Anselmo, CA
Old 10-19-14, 09:01 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did 74 miles of riding this weekend. It was fun.
Old 10-20-14, 07:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Today (Monday) ... I took the stairs to work ... twice. That's 5 floors up ... two times. I'm trying to build the strength in my legs.

Then I came home and did step-ups with weights on our front stops, plus a whole heap of lunges, plus some upper body weights, plus some core work.

Little bit sore now.

Not sure if I'll be able to get dressed in the morning ... or out of bed for that matter!

But I made a discovery on Saturday's ride ... now that my lung issues are starting to be resolved, my legs have become the weak point. Until quite recently, my lungs gave out long before my legs.
Old 10-20-14, 07:30 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
Ahhhh, Fall has finally come to FL. This is the perfect time of year here. Not too hot or cold in the morning. Saturday and Sunday I went to the Upper Tampa Bay trail for a total of 80 miles. Ironically, because the weather isn't so hot people don't crowd the path in morning trying to beat the heat. I practically had the whole MUP to myself Sunday a.m.
Old 10-20-14, 07:30 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Hey @Machka, glad to hear the lung stuff is better. The legs are pretty straightforward to rebuild, that should back back pretty readily.

I started with a coach a few weeks back, trying to increase speed prior to my first double century, which is coming up Dec 6. So I've been riding a lot of miles, over 200 last week, just not stopping to take too many pics.

Friday I rode some tempo intervals up into a local canyon. That a 4% grade climb, maybe 2.5 miles. The canyon is part of a local historical park, so after a certain point, the road is closed to traffic. Sweet place to practice your twisty descents. 45 miles, 2200 ft.

Sat I was scheduled to ride the Santa Barbara Century, which is a really tough 10000 ft century. But training-wise, it didn't really fit into my schedule. So I rode the metric century instead & coach gave me some specific objectives- a certain window for power, a cadence target, a new nutrition/hydration plan and instructions to keep moving & see how little time I could manage off the bike. It was a beautiful day and the ride was perfect- hit my power & cadence targets, executed the nutrition/hydration plans as instructed, skipped 2/4 rest stops & only spent 17 min off the bike for the 5 hour ride. That was 69 miles/4000 ft.

Sundays are now the day of these muscle building intervals. I ride them at high muscle tension & low cadence- basically mashing intervals. For these, I use another hill, 5% grade for 2.5-3 miles. I knew some friends would be out riding there, so I got to see them, that was nice. Riding to/from the hill is pretty too, I go in through one canyon and leave via another. That was 40 miles/4000 ft or so.

So total for the weekend was about 155 miles/10000 ft. I had a nice time riding my bike.
Old 10-20-14, 09:19 AM
Scott P

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy 2, 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did Body Beast Bulk:Shoulders on Saturday and followed that up with three miles of walking around the zoo for Zoo Boo. Sunday was Body Beast Bulk:Legs followed by a short one hour bike ride of fifteen miles. That might not have been the smartest thing ever. My legs are not happy with me today.
Old 10-20-14, 09:33 AM
VwFix
RoadRash

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur, Giordano Libero, Schwinn World Tour singel speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first month riding, did 39 miles total this weekend.
Short ride on Saturday 11 miles, and my longest ride to date on Sunday: 28 miles
Old 10-20-14, 09:51 AM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lovely pictures Machka as always...that's why I come here Nice ride too.

I did get a ride it other than the Friday commute (only 2 more before the time change and my big boss bans me from riding because too dark at night when all the crazies are out)...I nearly got run off the road on Friday again from someone who decided that they didn't need to signal their right turn..

Sunday was 39 miles with a hill I haven't done for a while....I remembered why about halfway up.
Old 10-20-14, 10:28 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
The Evergaldes Bicycle Club Freedom Ride at Homestad Miami Speedway to benefit wounded vetersans (obtain hand cycles etc). One of my favorite rides of the year, you start out with a lap around the track and then head out to Key Largo. I have to say I was impressed with some of the vets on their hand cycles, some of them kept a nice fast pace (21-22) and most participated in the metric century. As a veteran myself it was an honor and privilege to ride with these brave men and women.

Old 10-20-14, 11:08 AM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday Morning at 8 -I put in 47.5 to finish the Challenged Athletes 300KM in 20 days challenge on Strava. I went with one of my favorite cycling partners that would assure me to be back in time for a Apple Tasting Festival that my family loves to do each year. Today I am paying for it but we got the thing done in a little under two and a three quarters hours. We Went Out Spring Water MUP to Gresham MUP to Troutdale MUP Hit the city streets to Fairview down to Blue Lake then up to Marine Drive. Went on to Hayden Island (Coffebucks!) then came back over Interstate down to the Rose Quarter where we got on the Esplanade back to the West side of the Springwater Corridor and from there all the way home. Done deal.
Old 10-20-14, 04:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Hey @Machka, glad to hear the lung stuff is better. The legs are pretty straightforward to rebuild, that should back back pretty readily.
After 1001 tests of various sorts to try to figure out why I have had such trouble breathing, I finally convinced my Dr to send me for allergy testing ... turns out I'm quite significantly allergic to dust mites.

I've started taking measures to improve that situation, and will commence a long-term desensitisation program shortly.

But it was kind of a surprise to run out of leg power! However, yes ... that I know how to fix!

Good job on your rides.
Old 10-21-14, 10:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Tuesday -- 30 min brisk walk on trainer, set at an incline + 50 min tough spinning class + 10 min stretching + 10 min rowing machine.

Tough workout.