Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Cycling/Sports Report - March 21/22

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 08:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

The first equinox of the year has occurred ... it's officially spring in the northern hemisphere (it has been autumn down here for a few weeks now).

Tell us about your first spring ride ... or your autumn rides.

[HR][/HR]

We haven't been well this week, so ... we'll see. Not sure if we'll ride or walk or what just yet. But would love to hear your stories!!

And meanwhile, it is a lovely day out there. 18C at the moment, going for a high of 20C. Sunny, light winds ...
Old 03-21-15, 07:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

So ... no riding on Saturday.

Just a whole lot of house stuff. I suppose that was a bit of a workout. We were on our feet most of the day ... unpacking, rearranging, putting stuff away, organising, cleaning, etc. etc. We've been meaning to do this for a while now.

Tomorrow will be more of the same, but I'm kind of hoping we might be able to sneak in a walk to the beach or something.
Old 03-21-15, 07:48 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
weekend forecast went to crap.. ran 2mi yesterday. always reminds me why I went to cycling after i stopped running track.. joints and stuff just don't like the impact anymore. but since i want to do my one tri of the year later in the summer i need to pretend once in a while.

wanted to ride today but it is snowing so that will probably not happen.
Old 03-21-15, 07:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I heard some parts of NA were celebrating the first day of spring with more snow ... as if you needed more snow over there on the east coast.
Old 03-21-15, 08:32 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I heard some parts of NA were celebrating the first day of spring with more snow ... as if you needed more snow over there on the east coast.
yep.. couple inches here.. tomorrow is supposed to be our club's "spring opener" ride.. forecast is high of 33.. with windchill temps at the start time around 18F.. no thanks i'll pass.
Old 03-21-15, 09:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Jakedatc
yep.. couple inches here.. tomorrow is supposed to be our club's "spring opener" ride.. forecast is high of 33.. with windchill temps at the start time around 18F.. no thanks i'll pass.
Don't blame you!!
Old 03-22-15, 06:05 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Last rode to Birdwood three months ago after huge bushfires when the roads were closed to traffic and trees were over the road. I did it again today and the aussie bush is already making a comeback, the black trunks are full of new growth.

Put some cheap as chips but strong wheels on for the rougher roads on this ride also.

Kangaroo Creek Dam.
Old 03-22-15, 08:11 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
First ride for me in 7-8 weeks. A mostly flat route with one fast descent (41mph) and one easy slog back up (big ring all the way). I did some good pulls at 20mph on the way back then got lost looking for my car. So, an extra few miles thrown in for good measure.

The donkeys and cows were out in full force but my camera had gotten into video mode and so no pics. Spring is here, finally.

CAAD lovers note the bike up front with downtube shifters, no less.
Old 03-22-15, 02:42 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
400k starting 5am Saturday. Good weather, stopped way too much for food, suffered through the wee hours but McDonalds at the 370k mark perked me up for the finish.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/726679245
Old 03-22-15, 05:22 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Last rode to Birdwood three months ago after huge bushfires when the roads were closed to traffic and trees were over the road. I did it again today and the aussie bush is already making a comeback, the black trunks are full of new growth.

Put some cheap as chips but strong wheels on for the rougher roads on this ride also.

Kangaroo Creek Dam.
Nice to see the regrowth. Nature is amazing!
Old 03-22-15, 05:29 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saturday: 36 miles
sunday :56 miles
Old 03-22-15, 08:05 PM
chilidawgnv

Bikes: '14 Novara Strada

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 32 miles today, my longest ride to date (hey, I just started three weeks ago), from Sparks to Verdi. Beautiful day, windy as usual in Northern NV. Coming back was a lot more fun as I gained 1,000ft. in elevation on the ride out. Hit 38.3mph on a downhill run coming back. That was fun.

Lemme see if I can figure out how to stick a pic here. Y'all let me know if these show up now.

Old 03-22-15, 08:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Solvang (CA) DC Saturday. (actually 192 miles)

Pretty good conditions, & finished in 11:15, 13:00 overall, beating my projected time by over an hour, & getting in before dark. This included one flat, & getting lost slightly near the end.
wOOt!

Green hills, oaks, lots of hawks, & a road-kill (feral?) piglet.
Old 03-23-15, 05:57 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saturday, club race and group training ride both cancelled on account of lingering winter (snowed Friday). Wasn't ready for the race and couldn't have attended the group ride anyhow.
So yesterday, we had the re-scheduled group ride. Just getting out of town was torture. Sun and shadows made it tough to see potholes, gusty cross-winds made it tough to steer clear of them, and it seemed we had to stop at every light, never warming up in the cold and wind.
Once we got across the bridge, out of the worst of the wind and rolling in earnest, it wasn't too bad. But it seemed awfully long. What with some slow drills in the middle and a flat by one of the others, it was nearly four hours to lunch.

I did manage to show the coaches what I was and was not made of. They made fun of how I was one of the weirdest riders, in that I struggled to hold a wheel on the flats, but climbed hills "like helium." One of the other trainees LIVED sur la plaque and was constantly "dancing" as he put it, but the coaches all seemed to have compact cranks and could maintain a fair cadence up the hill at as little as 6-7 mph. I didn't really want to go faster, but even on the biggest cog, with a standard crank, anything below 8 mph put the cadence unbearably slow - I felt wobbly, like I was going to fall over at times, so I HAD to pick up the pace.

The return from lunch was direct and at a decent pace, but again I struggled to avoid gapping at only 19 mph. I wasn't out of breath or anything, I just felt cranky and tired, but when we got to the rollers, where things were more interesting, it wasn't so bad. Still, as I said to the coaches at the final de-brief: thank God for the A train! (There's a stop near the bridge, and the A goes more or less express downtown to save about 45 minutes' - an hour's ride the rest of the way home).
Old 03-23-15, 06:29 AM
la rosa 

Bikes: 12 lynskeys, 1 IF, 2 colnagos

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Sat: 64 miles, Sun: 33 miles.
Old 03-23-15, 07:38 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Saturday I went out to the Upper Tampa Bay trail for about 39 miles. Nice day with low temps and clear skies. Local weathermen are calling it the last nice weekend of Spring before summer sets in (not that weather forecasters are ever given to hyperbole). Sunday the wind changed direction so I rode out to Weedon Island and back for 38 miles. My legs were hurting on that one.
Old 03-23-15, 11:02 AM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We could use snow on the west coast of NA...it's going to be ugly this summer...and expect food prices to be higher since Calif farmers are expecting to fallow another million acres due to lack of water

OTOH the weather is usually good for riding those this weekend here was very damp on Sunday...not really raining more misty but the roads were very wet in the hills. My wife was not happy with my white shirt and socks being dirty on the back after returning from the ride.

That said it was a good ride for me, 35miles 1550' 16.1mph pretty much normal times for that distance for me and my knee felt great so I think I am fully back to normal riding schedules going forward
Old 03-23-15, 11:15 AM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's still winter out here.

So I got the snowshoe out for a 12k on saturday : https://www.strava.com/activities/271895114

Then on sunday it was really cold and windy (-30C), so I just did an hour of stationnary bike while watching MilanoSanremo.

Last edited by generalkdi; 03-23-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 04:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by bbattle
First ride for me in 7-8 weeks. A mostly flat route with one fast descent (41mph) and one easy slog back up (big ring all the way). I did some good pulls at 20mph on the way back then got lost looking for my car. So, an extra few miles thrown in for good measure.

The donkeys and cows were out in full force but my camera had gotten into video mode and so no pics. Spring is here, finally.

CAAD lovers note the bike up front with downtube shifters, no less.
Looks good!!
Old 03-23-15, 04:56 PM
T800CF

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, Giant Anthem 27.5 3, Giant Defy Composite 1

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 36 miles on Saturday. Gardner - Olathe - Lenexa , then back to Gardner

Old 03-23-15, 05:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
47 mile, 1673' group ride Sunday on the tandem. The group cut it short because of rain. We normally wouldn't do that, but we didn't expect it and most folks didn't bring their full battle kit. We rode it as hard as we could and thus stayed with the group the whole way. Finally getting some early season conditioning. Still had fire in our legs as the finish. Went out in the rain again today, Monday and hit it as hard as we could, but Strava said we were off by 40-50 watts because of Sunday. Low HRs, both of us. Good ride, though.
Old 03-23-15, 06:18 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Took off to ride GW bridge but it was closed...road up 9w for about 10 miles. Shoulder was a mess snow everywhere.
Old 03-23-15, 07:38 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode over the Golden Gate Bridge and then up to Hawk Hill Thanks @datlas

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1055_small.jpg (38.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-23-15, 11:08 PM
chilidawgnv

Bikes: '14 Novara Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
I rode over the Golden Gate Bridge and then up to Hawk Hill Thanks @datlas

How was that ride? I been meaning to make a trip out to the bay area for a weekend this Spring, might need to take the bike with.
Old 03-24-15, 10:25 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chilidawgnv
How was that ride? I been meaning to make a trip out to the bay area for a weekend this Spring, might need to take the bike with.
It was worth it. Traffic around the bridge pillars was dangerous, but as long as your low speed maneuvering is up to date, you should be fine.
I rented my bike, it was a Roubaix with 6700; I had no trouble with the performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.