Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Old 03-13-16, 04:20 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Shimano cables have been lasting about 4K miles, give or take. There is a gnarly bend in the shifter that frays the cable.
Old 03-13-16, 04:38 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Also the way Specialized handles internal routing kicks ass. It's rube goldbergesque and trap doors are involved, but it's SO MUCH BETTER than my experience with Giant.
Old 03-14-16, 07:01 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I'm not TKP, but I'm pretty sure they're Shimano cables on new builds. I work in a Specialized LBS and that's what we've seen. My own bike came with 5800 and Shimano cables, I've got 3800 miles on it and no problems. My first race of the season is this coming weekend, thinking about putting on new cables just on GP.
Doesn't Jagwaire make Shimano cables?
Old 03-14-16, 07:03 AM
topflightpro

Hey Guys,
I have a favor to ask. My wife entered a photo contest to win a pair of Keirin Cut Jeans. If you have a moment, can you please "Like" the photo on this Facebook pages: https://www.facebook.com/KeirinCutJe...type=3&theater.

The contest lasts about a week, and I think whichever of the three finalist photos gets the most likes gets the jeans. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-14-16, 08:01 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Doesn't Jagwaire make Shimano cables?
I don't know. It's certainly possible, but I haven't heard that.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-14-16, 08:35 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got laid off today, so funemployed as of this morning. I'm getting a bit tired of this. Worst part is they waited until right after the time change, so I didn't even get any extra riding outside out of it.

May be time to start thinking about how I can finagle working for myself. At least then I'm not at the mercy of other peoples' decisions (well, as directly. Still impacted by the economy).

May be time to think about moving as well, since I'm in an area that doesn't exactly have a reputation for glowing amounts of opportunity.
Old 03-14-16, 08:42 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4219 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Bummer dude. No chance of getting called back? Did they actually call it getting laid off? Around here, they use the acronym RIF (for reduction in force) because it supposedly sounds less scary. As if anyone doesn't really now what it means.

Old 03-14-16, 08:45 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bummer! Colorado has low unemployment and a good bike racing scene. Rent is high though.
Old 03-14-16, 08:49 AM
topflightpro

I'm sorry to hear that Wens. Our contract runs through September, and I got notice about a month ago that our next contract is probably going to be about 30 percent of the last one, which means there's a decent chance my position could be cut. I've started putting out resumes and had a few interviews. The one nice thing about the job search this time is that my boss knows I'm looking and is willing to be a reference. In the past, I've not let on that I was looking.
Old 03-14-16, 09:19 AM
happybday29475

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I've struggled with respiratory allergies since I was a little kid, so I am a bit of a canary...
Me too.

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
...few years back some smoke blew into Bend during Nats and I could barely hang on in the crit, the days prior I won my TT and attacked a dozen times for a teammate in the RR. I sounded like a 30 year 3 pack a day guy.
It's nice to see success in spite of respiratory challenges. Sometimes I wonder if similar challenges will keep me from progressing in the sport.
Old 03-14-16, 09:42 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Bummer dude. No chance of getting called back? Did they actually call it getting laid off? Around here, they use the acronym RIF (for reduction in force) because it supposedly sounds less scary. As if anyone doesn't really now what it means.
No, technically RIF'd, but...what's in a name.

Called back, shrug. Engineering VP/Director would be glad to have me. Finance guys need to keep their jobs though. The joy of a company with corporate overlords. Gotta hit the numbers for the year, or else.

Boulder, Seattle, Portland are basically the other places I'd consider moving. Valygrl, know anyone hiring product development engineers?
Old 03-14-16, 10:38 AM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wens

Called back, shrug. Engineering VP/Director would be glad to have me. Finance guys need to keep their jobs though. The joy of a company with corporate overlords. Gotta hit the numbers for the year, or else.

Boulder, Seattle, Portland are basically the other places I'd consider moving. Valygrl, know anyone hiring product development engineers?
Plenty of opportunity for that background in the SF bay area.

Almost some of the best riding in the US. I moved out here from Cleveland, OH - and haven't looked back.
Old 03-14-16, 10:45 AM
topflightpro

I'm not sure what field you're in, but I see a lot of postings for those types of jobs in North Carolina.
Old 03-14-16, 10:56 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

No, my job is actually in CA so i'm not hooked into the workforce very much here. Don't forget to look at the surrounding areas: Ft Collins, Loveland, Longmont, Louisville, Lafayette, Golden, and the north or west sides of Denver.
Old 03-14-16, 01:43 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mondays: me counting down the time until I can eat more food. Maybe I should be eating more after my weekend rides.
Old 03-14-16, 02:36 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 3,085 Times in 1,634 Posts
hope things turn out for the best @wens.
Old 03-14-16, 02:37 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Time change woo!!

my race videos
Old 03-14-16, 02:43 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Got laid off today, so funemployed as of this morning. I'm getting a bit tired of this. Worst part is they waited until right after the time change, so I didn't even get any extra riding outside out of it.

May be time to start thinking about how I can finagle working for myself. At least then I'm not at the mercy of other peoples' decisions (well, as directly. Still impacted by the economy).

May be time to think about moving as well, since I'm in an area that doesn't exactly have a reputation for glowing amounts of opportunity.
Damn, that's a real shame. Hopefully you get something else sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm not sure what field you're in, but I see a lot of postings for those types of jobs in North Carolina.
Raleigh is a very hot tech and new manufacturing area these days. Silicon Valley of the East or some such moniker.

In other news, I'm looking for work pretty hard these days since the baby came. My wife really wants to get up North, more than ever. Her mom isn't doing great, she's worried about her, and she just misses family. My parents are about 5 hours from here, although they technically have a condo here, they aren't there more than once a quarter or so. My mom already feels left out and stuff, even though we try really hard to include my family in stuff. Where we want to move they'd be more like 9 hours instead of 5. I've mentioned to my parents in the past year or so that we were looking for jobs up there and considering moving, but I'm not looking forward to telling them it's basically gonna happen, as soon as I find work, and I've been on a couple interviews and have a few leads.

I know they'll be hurt, but I have to do what I think is best for my family. My parents did basically the same thing when I was 5, they moved from 20 minutes away from my dad's parents, 10 hours South to be 30 minutes from my mom's family, so they can't complain too much. My mom takes everything personally and makes a huge deal out of little stuff, so actually big stuff is probably gonna be ugly.
Old 03-14-16, 04:24 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 3,085 Times in 1,634 Posts
Ugh, hope it goes smoothly for you FB. Sounds like you have the right mentality - you're your own man with your own family now!!!
Old 03-14-16, 05:19 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Same boat as you, wens. It is what it is. You want to chat anytime, just message me.
Old 03-14-16, 07:05 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts

What do you do (sorry if I have not followed)?
Old 03-14-16, 07:13 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
What do you do (sorry if I have not followed)?
He said he is a "product development engineer"... what he actually did is a mystery.
Old 03-15-16, 07:43 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
One good thing about being a car guy, never any layoffs. Actually, that might be the only good thing.
Old 03-15-16, 07:44 AM
himespau 

Quoted: 4219 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
SRAM looks like it'd be a cool place to work: Perkins+Will design of SRAM headquarters is a bike-friendly dream office.

Old 03-15-16, 11:36 AM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Collided head on with a poorly lit cyclist this morning on the Mill Valley bike path.

Whiplash. Everything hurts. Etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.