Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Keep your hands and advice to yourself - a brief rant

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-24-17, 02:27 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was riding along a short section of bike path today when I saw glass from a smashed beer bottle strewn across the trail. I slowed down to see if I could thread my way through a clear patch. There was no one ahead of me or coming towards me, and no one behind me that I was aware of, so I moved into the center of the path. Next thing I know some guy is half-wheeling me on the right and saying "Just relax!" As he passed, he forced me into the thick of the glass along the left side of the path, rolled his own wheels over the second thickest patch, and worst of all PATTED ME ON THE BACK while saying "relax, relax!"

Several lessons here (for him):
1. Announce yourself before you are half-wheeling another rider.
2. Do not make arrogant assumptions about how you can help nervous newbies (I am not, by the way, new to this, nor was I nervous). Instead, consider the possibility that the other rider has a reason for slowing and changing lane positions.
3. Do not begin a pass until you have given the other rider sufficient time to become aware of your presence.
4. Do not pass on the right unless you have clearly communicated what you are doing.
5. Slow down on the MUP. I might have realized he was behind me on the path if he hadn't been flying.
6. DO NOT TOUCH OTHER RIDERS without their consent, especially while the are IN MOTION!

Okay, rant over. Thanks for the space to vent.
Old 01-24-17, 03:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, I had a guy half-wheeling me on a narrow bridge the other day. Pedestrian walking toward us on the correct side. Even with a helmet mirror I didn't notice the other cyclist behind me half-wheeling, riding the center of the narrow bridge. Most bridges on the local MUP also have bollards to discourage vehicles. So riding the center of the bridge between a pedestrian and another bike makes zero sense.

The cyclist half-wheeling me probably assumes I'm going to turn right at the foot of the bridge toward the main section of the MUP. I'm not. I'm planning to turn left toward the levees to get a higher view for some photos, since I brought my camera gear.

So as I approach the end of the bridge and glance in my mirror before turning left I notice the other cyclist on my left just behind me about to pass me as soon as we exit the bridge.

I yelped "WHOA!"

Speed Racer says in a condescending voice "You're okay, you're okay."

So I just cut left in front of him. At that point I don't care if I cut his front wheel out from under him. If he french fries when he's supposed to pizza he's gonna have a bad time. I suppose he braked or swerved. No contact. I didn't look back to see who it was.
Old 01-24-17, 03:33 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Is half-wheeling when you're only a half a wheel length behind the other rider?

No matter what it is, I would have been quite angry if I had been touched and told to relax while being forced to take a different line as the OP describes.
Old 01-24-17, 03:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Strange... sorry. Chivalry and chauvinism have a lot of overlap
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-24-17, 04:08 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Get a t-shirt or sign that reads, "Crop Dusting in Progress!" or perhaps, "I Only Look Contagious!",
or maybe: "Go Ahead...Make My Personal Injury Lawyer's Day!"
Old 01-24-17, 05:51 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
Is half-wheeling when you're only a half a wheel length behind the other rider?
Not a half-wheel's worth of gap, but a half-wheel's worth of overlap. I.e. their front axle is right next to your rear axle.

OP, that is pretty annoying. I'm glad he didn't slap your butt though.

One time on a group ride, I was way lagging up a hill, and this one guy was nice enough to hang back and chat with me (although with my huffing and puffing I wasn't much for conversation). Then all of a sudden his hand was on my back and he was helping push me up the hill! I didn't mind much because it helped, but it did seem odd. I'm sure I would have been more alarmed if I was a woman.
Old 01-24-17, 06:03 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Totally annoying for sure. That list you made are just common sense things that we reasonable people do. It doesn't apply to arrogant DB's who presume they know everything.
Old 01-24-17, 06:58 PM
Bike Hermit
ghost on a machine

Bikes: Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, Serotta Colorado Legend TG, Rivendell Roadeo, Surly Cross Check, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No.5 and No.6
Old 01-24-17, 10:03 PM
Lynskeyman
Banned.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or get one of these and not worry about it: The World's Loudest Cycle Horn | Hornit dB140
Old 01-24-17, 10:16 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A wave of the hand behind the seat, and friendly "sorry about that" should take care of things.
Old 01-24-17, 10:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,346 Posts
Sorry I don't see the problem. If someone is half wheeling you and you don't like it, why not simply take him out with a jog in his direction?

With the least amount of skill, the front rider is virtually assured to stay up while the rear rider wipes out every time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-25-17, 03:59 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sorry I don't see the problem. If someone is half wheeling you and you don't like it, why not simply take him out with a jog in his direction?

With the least amount of skill, the front rider is virtually assured to stay up while the rear rider wipes out every time.
I like this one!
Old 01-25-17, 06:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

^this. Toughen up...
Old 01-25-17, 08:27 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Different strokes. I prefer a hand on my back or hip to let me know someone is there rather than yelling.
Old 01-25-17, 08:48 AM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While that would have been gratifying, I wasn't out on a group ride. I was on the way to work and couldn't risk taking a tumble myself. Besides, it happened so fast that there was little time to react. He's very lucky that I didn't startle in a way that caused an accidental wipe out.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^this. Toughen up...
Oh, Bull. I'm plenty tough. The guy was a smug jerk who had no idea what was going on, made stupid assumptions, and probably ended up with a flat tire.

Originally Posted by caloso
Different strokes. I prefer a hand on my back or hip to let me know someone is there rather than yelling.
That's your preference. I'd advise you not to assume that you are welcome to lay your hands on others without their consent.
Old 01-25-17, 09:11 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
What kind of a d^ck move is half wheeling? Either pass me or hang back, but don't ride slightly back from me unless we know each other and have been talking for the last 7 miles. And I don't know that I would want someone close enough to me to be able to touch me while I am riding a bike. That means you are too damn close.
Old 01-25-17, 09:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
While that would have been gratifying, I wasn't out on a group ride. I was on the way to work and couldn't risk taking a tumble myself......

My post was facetious, and not a serious suggestion. However, I class things like this in the "compost happens" category and forget about them entirely within minutes. IMO certainly not worth writing about when I get home.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-25-17, 09:12 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Lot of jerks in the world. Too bad he wasn't on his way to a job interview. With you! :-)
Old 01-25-17, 09:26 AM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My post was facetious, and not a serious suggestion. However, I class things like this in the "compost happens" category and forget about them entirely within minutes. IMO certainly not worth writing about when I get home.
I normally do the same, but since this one got under my skin I decided to indulge in a rare internet forum rant.

Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Lot of jerks in the world. Too bad he wasn't on his way to a job interview. With you! :-)
Ha!
Old 01-25-17, 10:29 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
wtf sorry to hear that
Old 01-25-17, 03:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I see posts on facebook about how men break women's reasonable boundaries often. It's pretty dismaying and surprising. I'm sorry this happens, and obviously, I don't do that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-25-17, 03:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I would also be annoyed, perhaps to the point of writing about it, if someone touched me inappropriately. He touched her thigh. Not cool.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-25-17, 03:59 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by noglider
I would also be annoyed, perhaps to the point of writing about it, if someone touched me inappropriately. He touched her thigh. Not cool.
Her?
Thigh?

Are we talking about the same event?

I have no idea of the OP's gender, though "Giant Doofus" doesn't sound like a lady. In any case the OP said "PATTED ME ON THE BACK".

BTW - I never said I wouldn't be annoyed, just that it's the kind of thing I don't think about for long.

I have a fairly simple rule that if I let people get to me to the point that I'm annoyed or angry for more than a minute, then they've won. I ride for pleasure, and don't let people detract from that. Someone annoys me, I let them know what I think on the spot, then move on as if it never happened.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-25-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 04:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Oops, I don't know where I got the "thigh" part, but yes, she is a woman.

Old 01-25-17, 04:28 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Her?
Thigh?

Are we talking about the same event?

I have no idea of the OP's gender, though "Giant Doofus" doesn't sound like a lady. In any case the OP said "PATTED ME ON THE BACK".

BTW - I never said I wouldn't be annoyed, just that it's the kind of thing I don't think about for long.

I have a fairly simple rule that if I let people get to me to the point that I'm annoyed or angry for more than a minute, then they've won. I ride for pleasure, and don't let people detract from that. Someone annoys me, I let them know what I think on the spot, then move on as if it never happened.

Yep, Giant Doofus is a woman. I took my username from the brand (Giant) and name (Doofus) of the bike I was riding when I joined this forum. It's funny that you think the name suggests a man. Huh.

I think the practice of letting these things go is generally a good one. It's what I usually do. But, like I said, this one stuck with me, so I decided to indulge in a little rant. No harm.

Originally Posted by noglider
Oops, I don't know where I got the "thigh" part, but yes, she is a woman.
No, not my thigh. That would have earned him a kick to the crotch, even if I had to crash the bike to do it. Not joking. Still, the "pat on the back" was not the harmless between-friends sort of thing you might imagine. First, I've never met this guy. Second, it was more like he was steering me by pressing his hand to the small of the back. It was creepy, especially combined with instructions to relax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.