Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Paramount "Purist" probably shouldn't read this.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Paramount "Purist" probably shouldn't read this.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 04:20 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
Might want to forget about the schwinns and build up that De Rosa. Guaranteed it will ride faster and smoother.
I hope that's true but so far despite all the Italian steel I have it's not been the case. At least not in terms of fastest....

The Basso does win the smoothness award though, at least so far.
Old 08-26-17, 04:35 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I hope that's true but so far despite all the Italian steel I have it's not been the case. At least not in terms of fastest....

The Basso does win the smoothness award though, at least so far.
It's Red. It has to be faster.
Old 08-26-17, 06:28 PM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
My 99 Peloton is the same frameset as that Circuit but I'm running 9 speed Veloce/Racing T. The best changes I did were: 1) Selle An Atomica saddle 2) Nashbar 1" threaded carbon fork. It really smoothed out the teeth chattering ride the stock aluminum Kinesis fork delivered. It's easily faster over a course than my 87 Paramount. My Diamondback Master TG (OS Tange Tig welded) is splits the difference. Note, I am aging, 40lbs over ideal fighting weight and not nearly as fast as I was in my 20s.
Old 08-26-17, 09:18 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by Wileyone
It's Red. It has to be faster.
Doh, but of course!
Old 08-27-17, 05:41 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
Based on this thread and the fact that I have 93 PDG mountain bike in the shed, I did an ebay search on PDG bikes. Man, they sure did build beautiful bikes. If I ever end up on the hunt for another road bike, I will look at those.
Old 09-04-17, 01:02 PM
jamesdak 

Well, that PR didn't stand very long. I tried to go after it Saturday with the Waterford Paramount but just couldn't carry the speed needed. Could feel too much flex in the back when I really put power down. Then this morning I took out the old Maillot Jaune. Halfway into the ride I could see I was right off pace. So I went after it and wound up dropping another 29 seconds off the PR. What's really cool about that is the fact I was able to do it despite having shifting issues with this bike. I think the DT shifter mechanism is a bit worn and allows it to ghost shift. So I had to ease this one up to speed each time I had to slow down or stop. But the bike still pulled out a good time. This one feels solid underneath when I apply power. Once I fix the shifting problem I bet it'll really move out.