Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How much is enough to get good cardio and lower BP?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

How much is enough to get good cardio and lower BP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 05:19 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I would say 85% but I won't nitpick over a paltry 10%. Anyway, exercise is good, but modifying your diet can do so much more. I suggest adding Blackseed oil to your diet. That alone should have a measurable effect. Concurrently, cardio will enhance and sustain a good BP with continued time in training.

It's way higher than most people think, is typically my point. Plus, and there are exceptions to every "rule", you truly can lose any and all weight through diet alone.

I think conflating exercise with losing weight is where we go wrong. We need to emphasize food, and the quality and even more important the quantity we put into our mouths as the sole reason for being obese or over weight.

Exercise is a gift. Action, movement, fresh air, power, speed, agility are all special gifts that we should use and foster for their own benefit and the experience of it. Get rid of thinking I have to walk on a treadmill for this long and I can eat this much. Forget that...head outside and smell, and see and feel the weather, move your body (if you can...again those exceptions).

So, yes, I'll grant that it's not a hard and fast rule. But now that I think about it and have my general idea of why I state high numbers...I'm going to start saying 100% is diet.
Old 04-13-18, 04:25 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
6'2" and 300 lbs. I regularly workout at gym already a couple times a week with weights and treadmill. I have gained weight in the last few years but don't look as fat as you would imagine (if I tell people my weight they are dumbstruck and can't believe it). However in the last two years my BP suddenly skyrocketed from normal range to danger zone and the medicine has side effects but does not seem to actually help the BP much!

I am up to around 4 miles a day now and have lost about 10 diastolic from my BP and would like to lose 10-15 more so I can stop using these damned medicines. However the time and especially the weather are a bit of a concern so I don't want to do more than I have to either. For me the only way to stick to things is to do it every single day, rain or shine or else I will eventually get sidetracked and get lazy on it.

So what is considered the range that is best for cardio where you get most bang for the buck? No idea how long my rides take and it varies a lot depending on weather so discussing the time taken is kind of useless.

Should I be shooting for 5 miles? 10 miles? If I go more than that then will it really make that much difference?

Any experiences you guys have would be a big help. Thanks.
I rode for a few years, 4-5,000 miles a year and my BP didn't budge. I started following the ketogenic diet and it dropped quickly.

My advice, cut way back on carbs to reduce BP.

Last edited by Jarrett2; 04-13-18 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-13-18, 11:41 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
It's way higher than most people think, is typically my point. Plus, and there are exceptions to every "rule", you truly can lose any and all weight through diet alone.

I think conflating exercise with losing weight is where we go wrong. We need to emphasize food, and the quality and even more important the quantity we put into our mouths as the sole reason for being obese or over weight.

Exercise is a gift. Action, movement, fresh air, power, speed, agility are all special gifts that we should use and foster for their own benefit and the experience of it. Get rid of thinking I have to walk on a treadmill for this long and I can eat this much. Forget that...head outside and smell, and see and feel the weather, move your body (if you can...again those exceptions).

So, yes, I'll grant that it's not a hard and fast rule. But now that I think about it and have my general idea of why I state high numbers...I'm going to start saying 100% is diet.
Old 04-13-18, 12:35 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Well you ask a dumb question get a dumb answer. I should not be surprised.
Old 04-13-18, 01:06 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
OK, now you are just sounding trollish.
Old 04-13-18, 01:20 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It wasn’t a dumb question. It’s incompleteness seemed to show a lack of understanding behind it, so we were all trying to help you understand. From your responses, seems we were wasting our time.

Unsubscribed.

And you’re welcome.
Old 04-13-18, 08:48 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
This isn't quite as good as R600 DuraAce but the entertainment value is approaching that level.
Old 04-14-18, 02:54 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by faulker479
OK, now you are just sounding trollish.
This. What would possessed you to make a comment like that?

Maybe you were looking for a direct answer, but had we done so, it would have been a misguided one. The purpose instead was to put you on the right track. Not to send you off in the wrong direction.
Old 04-14-18, 04:26 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Just to repeat I think the general tone of these comments. Just been to the doctor and the advice to lower my blood pressure was definitely lose weight. When you are younger your body may cope with the abuse you give it but as you get older you just need to follow the rules. I'm pretty thick set myself and never going to be super light due to height so in theory look like I carry my weight well according to others but back in the real world losing weight is now my top priority.
Old 04-14-18, 03:29 PM
knitguy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't say I'm shocked at the OP's response. Dismayed? Sure, but not shocked. This is just another example of someone asking a question, wanting one specific answer (or set of answers), not getting the answer that they want, and then stomping off because how dare we not provide the easy/prefered answer.
Old 04-16-18, 12:57 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I'm one to measure thing on time in the saddle then miles.

Aim for 45-70min a day, 3-4 times a week and one ride that is 2-3hours long.

Check back in 6 months
When I started I was 475 on Triglycerides, 250 on Cholesterol, and 149/95 on BP. I rode as daily as I could, at least 4 times a week but tried for 5 or 6 and a day break for another 5 or 6. Everything came back to normal for me. Triglycerides dropped just in a few months to 350, then the following year check was 189. Blood pressure has been a steady 120/80. Cholesterol dropped down to 120 or so.

That is all strictly from the bicycle. I eat horribly. I was 247 before I started riding and dropped down to around 220 by the time I started riding just from my diet. Then the diet went back to you know where, but the riding increased tremendously.

Over the last 2 years, weight is back up to 240 but blood numbers are all still good. I went from 12 mile daily riding with an occasional 25 mile solo ride as "long" rides to riding 60-80 miles every weekend along with my daily now 15-20 mile daily rides and adding in week trips going to DC and riding the Erie Canal Towpath.

As some others said, weight is 95% diet. You can't out ride or out exercise a bad diet.

For Cholesterol, BP, and glucose, just getting out for an hour a day on the bike will help those out a lot.