Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 05-02-18, 03:48 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@Flatballer - congrats on the new kid! Give your wife a hug and best wishes from us. And welcome to the land of sleep deprivation.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-02-18, 06:32 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Congrats @Flatballer!
Old 05-02-18, 07:54 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
congrats FB!!!
Old 05-02-18, 08:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Didn't get the manager job, but got an internal recommendation because they liked me for a supervisor level 2 job (reporting to a manager, most people become a manager within a year or two of that position). Probably interview for that next week.

Also had our baby boy today. Mom and baby both good (and both sleeping). Life sure isn't boring lately.
mazel tov. did you name him after me
Old 05-02-18, 08:14 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by tetonrider
i just posted a link in another thread and it worked just fine. i must have f-ed up the copy/paste from before.

and here i was, thinking you were actually interested in what i posted, not just whether there was a bug in the forum code! ;-)
I just want to make sure you're heard!
Old 05-02-18, 08:30 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Congrats FB.

(By the way, I plan to be up in your neck of the woods in July for Masters Track Nationals at T-Town.)
Old 05-02-18, 08:39 AM
topflightpro

I feel like I've gone down a medical rabbit hole.

It started with my wife complaining about my hearing, which lead me to going to an ENT and audiologist, where we determined I'm mostly deaf in my left ear and have Menierre's disease. (He also wants to give me a complete rhinoplasty to fix my deviated septum and rebuild the outer wall on the right side of my nose so that I can breathe through that nostril, and I may do that after my racing season is complete.) My wife now complains when I am not wearing my hearing aid.

But my ENT was concerned about some of my symptoms, and he sent me to a Neurologist, who determined I've been dealing with painless migraines for several years now. Basically, I get vision loss issues and sometimes have issues speaking.

But my neurologist was also concerned about my sleeping issues, so he sent me to another neurologist who specializes in sleeping disorders. I saw him this morning, and I have been diagnosed with insomnia. He is sending me to a sleep therapist to help me deal with the insomnia through behavioral therapy as opposed to sleeping pills. (To be fair, my wife was also complaining about my sleeping, as were some of my cycling teammates who now refuse to share a room with me on cycling trips because I don't sleep.)

So, I am now going to start seeing a therapist to hopefully help me solve my issues and start sleeping.

Anyway, getting old sucks.
Old 05-02-18, 09:00 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I have aging/crash issues as well. Had a battery of medical exams to analyze memory loss/forgetfulness. Was some concern over CTE or Alzheimer's, seems the likely candidate is some other frontal lobe concussion syndrome. Need to go for yearly neuro-pysch workups to track it. That's basically 4-5 hours of doing various memory and logic tests.

Doubt I'd race track nats (but who knows) but I might come over to visit with folks.
Old 05-02-18, 12:26 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
@Flatballer - congrats on the new kid! Give your wife a hug and best wishes from us. And welcome to the land of sleep deprivation.
Yeah, it's been a little while since my daughter was up like this. I remember it, and I remember it ends, but sleeping 2 hours at a time still sucks.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
mazel tov. did you name him after me
Depends if you changed your name recently.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Congrats FB.

(By the way, I plan to be up in your neck of the woods in July for Masters Track Nationals at T-Town.)
Awesome. I'll have to see if I can get over there to watch.

Thanks for the well wishes all.
Old 05-02-18, 01:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Congratulations, FB.
Old 05-02-18, 04:37 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have aging/crash issues as well. Had a battery of medical exams to analyze memory loss/forgetfulness. Was some concern over CTE or Alzheimer's, seems the likely candidate is some other frontal lobe concussion syndrome. Need to go for yearly neuro-pysch workups to track it. That's basically 4-5 hours of doing various memory and logic tests.
that is scary stuff. good luck
Old 05-02-18, 08:28 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Also had our baby boy today. Mom and baby both good (and both sleeping). Life sure isn't boring lately.
So cool on the baby!

All the best with the other stuff.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-02-18, 08:31 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
did they change the browser icon from distinctive yellow to some grey blur?
Old 05-02-18, 08:39 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Didn't get the manager job, but got an internal recommendation because they liked me for a supervisor level 2 job (reporting to a manager, most people become a manager within a year or two of that position). Probably interview for that next week.

Grats on the boy!
Old 05-02-18, 08:42 PM
carpediemracing 

Did I vent? I'm too tired to check.

Work is tough. Ultra productive father-son team of senior techs are out because the mom died a few days ago. Another guy is out because wife had a baby couple nights ago. Corporate has slashed hours so we're typically trying to get by with 2-3 people up front instead of 4-5 people. It's routine now to turn away solid sales (I had to tell a guy that approved $1400 work that we couldn't do it and thankfully found him a sister store that could; same day turned away probably another $1000-1500 of work), leave phone calls on hold until people hang up, etc. I nuked food at about noon for lunch - I got to eat it at 5 pm.

As the store's manager remarked, "Fish grow to fill the bowl. Right now they're shrinking the bowl."

Missed our numbers by a long shot.

Then, on top of a few months of that, this morning just before I left for work (7A-8P is my typical work day with all the above short staff stuff + unexpected leaves) the bathroom downstairs seemed to have overflowed. Ends up that one drain pipe in the house backed up (there are three leading to the outside, apparently) and overflowed. (Sewage) water got into the basement, dripping onto shelves of stored stuff. Some important to me, some not. Basement is finished so I'm going to rip up as much rug as possible, maybe even get the trim on the floor up. Then I have two more days of 7-8 (I plan on getting more rug up tomorrow night) before a day off.

The feeling I have now about getting the damaged stuff up (to prevent mold etc) is like the exact same feeling I have when I am promoting a race or when there's a local emergency like when we lost power for a week. It's time to just do it. There's enormous consequences for not getting as much done as possible so I have to do as much done as possible. I'll rest when it's over.

I can't imagine fighting a war. Or living in a third world country where there's no stability. The stress would kill me.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-02-18, 08:52 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Did I vent? I'm too tired to check.

I can't imagine fighting a war. Or living in a third world country where there's no stability. The stress would kill me.
When I was younger, I was pretty stressed out, suicidal, etc. Both my mom and brother were dying and I was bouncing around foster care. Some of those kids are actual murderers now. It was a hellhole. At some point I just snapped (for the better). I just don't worry about stuff like I used to. I think most people in those situations do the same.
Old 05-02-18, 10:11 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by furiousferret
When I was younger, I was pretty stressed out, suicidal, etc. Both my mom and brother were dying and I was bouncing around foster care. Some of those kids are actual murderers now. It was a hellhole. At some point I just snapped (for the better). I just don't worry about stuff like I used to. I think most people in those situations do the same.
Thanks, your response helped me clarify what's important and what's not.

For example I was absolutely at the limit Tuesday night at the race. I have my second bike almost put together. I need more microSD cards for my cameras. And all that doesn't matter very much right now. I'm already half-automatically calculating the minimum amount of sleep I need to get, figuring I can do a couple long days with 5 hours sleep a night.
Old 05-02-18, 10:37 PM
furiousferret

That's rough, when lack of sleep is involved it just makes everything worse. Hang in there.
Old 05-03-18, 08:21 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Ygduf
that is scary stuff. good luck
Honestly, I don't find it particularly so.
Old 05-03-18, 03:45 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Honestly, I don't find it particularly so.
bad luck to you then!
Old 05-04-18, 05:41 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Ygduf
bad luck to you then!

:/
Old 05-04-18, 09:14 AM
topflightpro

Just got tickets to see The Descendents later this month.

I had been thinking about going, but was kind of sitting on the fence about getting tickets. But they are holding a sale right now - $20 all in for tickets to a bunch of shows this summer. So I jumped on it and got tickets to that and to see Weezer with The Pixies. (I have no idea how Weezer is the headliner over The Pixies. Sure, Weezer put out two really solid albums, but then just put out crap since. The Pixies, however, pretty much launched the entire Grunge/Alternative movement, but I digress.)

I just wish I had held off buying my Flogging Molly/Dropkick Murphy tickets.
Old 05-04-18, 01:38 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Derailleur hanger snapped on the Wednesday night social ride. I "tipped" over while riding in circles waiting for another guy to (learn how to) change a flat after his low speed crash. Then I hopped a curb and the hanger just snapped. Considered turning it into a fixie for the ride home but I didn't have a spare chain at home. $30 uber ride. Replaced the hanger the next morning and miracle of miracles the screws were not stripped. But it still wouldn't shift right.

So I bought a new derailleur last night at the second shop I tried a few minutes before they closed. This morning I realized I already had a spare at home. Put on the derailleur, replaced the housing near the derailleur, and noticed the brand new cable was frayed where it dangled when the hanger broke. Luckily I still had a spare front cable which was long enough for the rear so I used that and saved the rear which probably has enough good length for the front. I hate doing cables cuz I don't have a bike stand and it's internal, so I have to keep flipping the bike to various angles for each part of the fishing process. But I'm finally getting better/faster at derailleurs and cables.
Old 05-04-18, 01:52 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had been thinking about going, but was kind of sitting on the fence about getting tickets. But they are holding a sale right now - $20 all in for tickets to a bunch of shows this summer. So I jumped on it and got tickets to that and to see Weezer with The Pixies. (I have no idea how Weezer is the headliner over The Pixies. Sure, Weezer put out two really solid albums, but then just put out crap since. The Pixies, however, pretty much launched the entire Grunge/Alternative movement, but I digress.)

Old 05-04-18, 02:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

I was just thinking about the Pixies the other day. There's sad piano version of Where Is My Mind, which I think was first used in The Social Network, which I've heard a couple of times on TV recently. Seems to be audio shorthand for sad and soulful reflection. I don't know what I'm supposed to think of that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.