Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Ketogenic "Keto" Diet?

Old 04-27-18, 05:50 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Really, you are basing this on a Blog post published originally some four year ago by a Yoga instructor, who seems to have mis-interpreted the research studies? Of course if you consume GM prior to a work-out you'll burn more afterwards, ....you have to burn off those calories somehow and you will burn hotter with all that glucose in your system....jeez, it's common sense. The studies don't comment on what happens the second and third day, and whether there are net gains or losses.

I applaud you for enthusiasm in advocating Keto and IF'ing, but I think you ought to be a little more discriminating in making judgments about right and wrong practices. My observation is athletes have been doing fasted work-outs for decades, power and cardio, and moving more into endurance sports more recently. Dismissing it as a wrong practice seems a little...premature.
No, read my prior posts. I never base anything on a single reference and neither would I expect anyone else to. However, these is a post forum, not a venue for posting extensive databases of boring case studies few will understand and even less will be interested in reading through. Besides, I don't keep a collection of them.

That post was a best-of-summary example. A mere "cut to the chase" highlight and compilation of several studies that I've recently been reading. My point is the data is out there and available so for anyone to research for themselves. Or not.
Old 04-29-18, 07:50 PM
Bigmanontheroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using ruled.me as a resource guide. I have pulled data and ideas from many other sources but that is my go to. I am two weeks in and it is going well. I lost 10 lbs, too fast but, I shed a lot of water weight. Those complaining of hitting a wall while biking, Hydration, hydration, hydration. I highly recommend keeping your sodium up, some recommend 5000mg per day. Also, a magnesium supplement like calm. I use 200mg per day. This helps with muscle cramping and night tremors. My last piece of advice is Do the Bullett Proof Coffee. I use the 1TBSP of Butter, 1TBSP of MCT and 1 packet of Stevia per 12oz coffee. This is key to killing the craving and keeping up with fat intake. Good Luck!
L
Old 04-29-18, 08:39 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Bigmanontheroad
I am using ruled.me as a resource guide. I have pulled data and ideas from many other sources but that is my go to. I am two weeks in and it is going well. I lost 10 lbs, too fast but, I shed a lot of water weight. My last piece of advice is Do the Bullett Proof Coffee. I use the 1TBSP of Butter, 1TBSP of MCT and 1 packet of Stevia per 12oz coffee. This is key to killing the craving and keeping up with fat intake. Good Luck!
L
Just keep in mind that the keto diet will eventually become unhealthy so while it is an excellent way to jump-start a diet if you are very overweight/obese, or an extreme athlete, it is basically a transitional diet.
Those complaining of hitting a wall while biking, Hydration, hydration, hydration. I highly recommend keeping your sodium up, some recommend 5000mg per day. Also, a magnesium supplement like calm. I use 200mg per day. This helps with muscle cramping and night tremors.
To be expected in most cases, with the reduction in carbs -- which not only take a good amount of water out of the body with it, but the associate minerals named (also potassium and sodium) which accounts for the imbalanced condition.
Old 04-29-18, 09:22 PM
Bigmanontheroad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ketogenic Diet Longevity

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Just keep in mind that the keto diet will eventually become unhealthy so while it is an excellent way to jump-start a diet if you are very overweight/obese, or an extreme athlete, it is basically a transitional diet.To be expected in most cases, with the reduction in carbs -- which not only take a good amount of water out of the body with it, but the associate minerals named (also potassium and sodium) which accounts for the imbalanced condition.
No disrespect intended. I've been in Healthcare for 27 years. I've been fed the upside down food pyramid for my entire life.

​​​​There is a lot of data out there that demonstrates how to make a ketogenic diet work for the long haul. The intensity can be adjusted as you approach your goal weight. Increasing carbs with highly nutritious high fiber foods is the key.

​​​​​​You do not by any means have to return to burning carbs and sugars for fuel.

I plan to sustain a modified version of what I'm doing now for ever.

You might say I plan to transition to a nutritarian diet after reaching my goal weight.

Last edited by Bigmanontheroad; 04-29-18 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 09:45 PM
KraneXL

I've found that long (research paper) posts either aren't read or are boring. I will always err on the side of simplicity. Unless asked to do otherwise.
Old 05-01-18, 09:56 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just keep in mind that the keto diet will eventually become unhealthy so while it is an excellent way to jump-start a diet if you are very overweight/obese, or an extreme athlete, it is basically a transitional diet.
Old 05-01-18, 01:44 PM
Hippiebrian

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the intermittent fasting (IF) is certainly a prudent direction with proven results which I wholeheartedly support. However, I woulnd't do any cardio (except low intensity) in a fasted state. Although the logic behind continued cardio may appear sounds, the final result is that it typically does more harm than good.
I have been doing IF, namely one meal a day, for the past year. I do not restrict carbs, calories or anything else, and have taken off 80 lbs. I beg to differ on the cardio. I usually ride, hike or whatever in the fasted state and find that I am better, have more energy and more endurance when I do so. It has to do with the fasted state spiking HGH, adrenaline and other hormones. IF has been the only thing that has helped me lose weight over the long term as well as the only way of eating that has left me feeling healthier and given me energy. I am curious as to what harm you think I may be doing...
Old 05-01-18, 07:16 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Hippiebrian
I have been doing IF, namely one meal a day, for the past year. I do not restrict carbs, calories or anything else, and have taken off 80 lbs. I beg to differ on the cardio. I usually ride, hike or whatever in the fasted state and find that I am better, have more energy and more endurance when I do so. It has to do with the fasted state spiking HGH, adrenaline and other hormones. IF has been the only thing that has helped me lose weight over the long term as well as the only way of eating that has left me feeling healthier and given me energy. I am curious as to what harm you think I may be doing...
Just a phrase. Maybe "less effective" would have been more accurate. Thing is, running fasted will cause you to recruit your fat store for energy. But, when you run on low burn fuel that limits the intensity at which your run.

In other words, you can run longer -- and even more important -- a lot harder when you're carb fueled than when you are not.

That means, when you push your body into a higher active state, it will result in a much longer-lasting (many hours) fat burning capacity overall.
Old 05-02-18, 05:35 PM
Hippiebrian

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a phrase. Maybe "less effective" would have been more accurate. Thing is, running fasted will cause you to recruit your fat store for energy. But, when you run on low burn fuel that limits the intensity at which your run.

In other words, you can run longer -- and even more important -- a lot harder when you're carb fueled than when you are not.

That means, when you push your body into a higher active state, it will result in a much longer-lasting (many hours) fat burning capacity overall.

There are a couple things wrong with that theory. First off, fat burns better than carbs, even as body fuel. Second off, recruiting your body's fat for energy is tht goal to begin with. In other words, you are burning last year's pizza instead of the gels you just consumed. Third off, you are not counting for the increased adrenaline and other metabolic hormones released in the fasted state as well as the extra hgh released, which not only helps preserve muscle mass but helps build it faster.

Personally, I have found that I have much more energy when fasted than after I have consumed carbs and I ride faster and climb harder when fasted. If you are correct, my body is lying to me...
Old 05-02-18, 06:09 PM
KraneXL

There are a couple things wrong with that theory. First off, fat burns better than carbs, even as body fuel.
Better? In any event, incorrect. It's just a much more complex molecule.
Second off, recruiting your body's fat for energy is tht goal to begin with. In other words, you are burning last year's pizza instead of the gels you just consumed.
True, but there's "more than one way to skin a cat." The body is a very complex mechanism so what may seem like the direct route to your goal, doesn't always work out that way.
Third off, you are not counting for the increased adrenaline and other metabolic hormones released in the fasted state as well as the extra hgh released, which not only helps preserve muscle mass but helps build it faster.
On the contrary, that is my first consideration. Which leads back to your third contradiction. It is simply not mentioned here due to its complexity, significance to anaerobic training, and ancillary support with reference to cycling.

Personally, I have found that I have much more energy when fasted than after I have consumed carbs and I ride faster and climb harder when fasted. If you are correct, my body is lying to me...
It does that a lot. Like telling you you're hungry when you know you've eaten more than enough calories to sustain it. In the above example, it just indicates you have a strong power of will. That's something you can be proud of.
Old 05-02-18, 07:41 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
There are a couple things wrong with that theory. First off, fat burns better than carbs, even as body fuel. Second off, recruiting your body's fat for energy is tht goal to begin with. In other words, you are burning last year's pizza instead of the gels you just consumed. Third off, you are not counting for the increased adrenaline and other metabolic hormones released in the fasted state as well as the extra hgh released, which not only helps preserve muscle mass but helps build it faster.

It could also be related to what you interpret as intense. Back up at post #30 I shared a link about this very issue. Yes, you can certainly fuel a workout from fat stores, but when things really do get intense, the fat just won't metabolise quickly enough to sustain intensity. What may seem like intense to you may not actually be enough to push you into that zone. I ride fasted for 1.5-2hr social rides all the time. Sometimes those rides become more at the end than what I can handle (depending on who shows up) and I fatigue as my body runs out of gas. Supplemental carb uptake would prevent this, but by the time I know what is happening, it's not enough time to uptake the carbs and have them work for the effort.

Now, I am doing a race the weekend after this one and I know I will be carbing up for the effort. I will take a gel just before the start gun because the first half of the race is a fair amount of climbing. I will take a second gel for the return leg as the race intensifies. If I am dropped, I won't worry about the second gel because I won't need it, but if I am there in the mix, then the second gel will be the difference between making the finish competitively or just rolling in after the fireworks.
Old 05-10-18, 01:13 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I did the Keto diet this year and went down to 200.5 didn't get out of this group...lol Once the outdoor season got into full swing I found I just didn't have the power, sure I had les of me to move but I couldn't do it at anywhere near the speed I could with carbs in my life. I ballooned back up to 225 in just over a month as I went crazy with beer and junk. I'm now eating carbs the night before and morning of planned hard rides and have came back down to 217. Ah the never ending journey
Old 05-10-18, 01:50 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by youcoming
I did the Keto diet this year and went down to 200.5 didn't get out of this group...lol Once the outdoor season got into full swing I found I just didn't have the power, sure I had les of me to move but I couldn't do it at anywhere near the speed I could with carbs in my life. I ballooned back up to 225 in just over a month as I went crazy with beer and junk. I'm now eating carbs the night before and morning of planned hard rides and have came back down to 217. Ah the never ending journey
Old 05-10-18, 05:50 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
Once the outdoor season got into full swing I found I just didn't have the power, sure I had les of me to move but I couldn't do it at anywhere near the speed I could with carbs in my life
That's exactly what I was eluding to above, but I didn't go that route and balloon back out, I just fueled for the moment as I also mentioned above. HOWEVER I haven't done keto, I don't think I could do it, so I'm not totally aware of how that would affect things. The strict monitoring is something that I have found would mean I wouldn't last with doing it. Alternatively what I did was low carb, or what is called banting. My carb uptake was so low (~30g/day for about 2 months) that I have zero doubt that I was in ketosis for some time while being strict about the diet. But I have found that banting is more of a lifestyle diet and it fits in really well with me an the foods that appeal to me.
Old 05-10-18, 10:42 PM
KraneXL

Not sure what you mean by "strict?" Keto is simple, you just leave out carbs. Also, low-carbs is low-carbs (typically less than 200 gm) Banting is one name of many guys (Atkins) that popularized it. All low-carbs diets are a form of keto diet with zero carbs being the most extreme.
Old 05-11-18, 12:06 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For those of you reading through this thread, please be aware that based on what he is posting here, KraneXL is not very knowledgeable about the latest research on ketogenic diets. Some of what he is saying shows he is confused on some of the facts, other things he is saying are just flat wrong.

If you are truly interested in what the diet is all about, please do some Google searches and look for the various MD's and Phd's that recommend and offer information about the current state of the low carb and ketogenic diets. It's not dangerous, its not new and it works very well for a number of people. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.
Old 05-11-18, 01:20 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
For those of you reading through this thread, please be aware that based on what he is posting here, KraneXL is not very knowledgeable about the latest research on ketogenic diets. Some of what he is saying shows he is confused on some of the facts, other things he is saying are just flat wrong.

If you are truly interested in what the diet is all about, please do some Google searches and look for the various MD's and Phd's that recommend and offer information about the current state of the low carb and ketogenic diets. It's not dangerous, its not new and it works very well for a number of people. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

I'm living proof that it works and is safe. I am still new at it of course, but I am doing it under the watch/advise of my Endocrinologist, Cardiologist (2 of them), my primary doctor and for what is worth, my Podiatric Surgeon{Foot Doctor** ( BPM, FACFAS,FAMOS <- not sure what those mean, lol) And everyone of them are supportive and agree that it is a great choice and we are seeing positive results. I'm now down to 272 now, I was officially 302 when I started a few weeks ago. When I started to change, I was at 338, my heaviest.
And in that time, I have eliminated 1 diabetic med and cut back the dose of 2 more. I have been able to stop using 1 blood pressure med and lower the dose on 2 more. My blood pressure has gone down to more of a normal range than ever, my resting heart rate has lowered from running mid to high 60's to low to mid 50's bpm. I went from wearing a size 44 pants to 40, maybe a 38 now. 3/4xl shirt to a 2xl and may hit xl before long.
I have a starting blood work labs from about a month before I started, and when I started and next week I do labs again.
I am diabetic, but numbers are running way normal, have been for a year, but better/stable now. My last 2 A1C's where 5.4. Next check is next week I think... I have had a triple bypass in 2016 and stent put in August of 2017. I just had the Scans of my heart done 2 weeks ago and the doctor says it looks better now than it ever has. Everything is working in normal range.
Part of this is started my better eating habits going into Keto, and part is riding my bike more. However!!!! I have not been able to ride much since I started due to surgery on my foot and my calf muscle. I have maybe 20-25 miles in this YEAR at max. So most all of my improvement has been diet alone.

AS far as how I am doing the diet, I learn about here to start with, I have talked via PM's with some members that lead me to websites such as Diet Doctor and Rule Me. I bought and following "Loosely" : "Keto in 28" and my main guide: "The Ketogenic Diet" by Kristen Mancinelli, MS, RD

Yes, Google Keto Diet and educate yourself. I have and am doing it under my doctors supervision. It works, but it very strict and requires a new way of thinking.

Interesting fact that hit home : Your body does not need carbs, and it does not need them from food! If your body needs carbs for anything, it will make them itself. No need to eat them. Your body craves them, because we are programmed to eat them and they are cheap, easy fuel to use. And very easy to overdo and get stored as fat because the American diet is too carb rich. The science is still coming through, they are realizing carbs are really not that good for us overall. Kinda like how they use to think Tobacco was healthy and safe. We now know that is incorrect, and are learning that about carbs. I can go on, but I've gone on long enough for one post.
Old 05-11-18, 07:38 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Jarrett2

I'm glad to see you took the time to list at least one of the "just wrong" things. It bodes well for your credibility.
And just for the record, I am aware of research updates. That's why I frequent threads such as these -- to get the latest information, and stay up-to-date. This is your opportunity to add something positive, rather than attempting to disparage through unsupported claims.
Old 05-14-18, 06:57 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
All I know is I lost weight but I was slow. I might do it again to see if I get a different result, my results will not match others and was by no means scientific but I know that with carbs back in my diet "I" an way batter on the bike. Slow to moderate rides was no problem but when it came to long rides or training rides with hard efforts I had nothing in the tank. If all I wanted was to be skinny and didn't care about performance on the bike I would have t up with Keto, I am back to pretty much following Keto but with some more research into Keto and bike riding I have altered it to include carbs during ride and immediately after rides. Yes I gained weight back but that was more to do with my beer consumption which results in junk food consumption. Just for reference my one club does a weekly 15K TT, my first was in full Ketosis and 200.5lbs, my time was 26:08. My second was eating whatever at 220.2lbs and a time of 24:05. Will update how my new experiment goes.
Old 05-14-18, 07:07 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Keep in mind, the Keto Diet is just that, a diet. It is meant to get where you wantbto be weight wish then add back a small bit of carbs that will keep you at your goal. Yes, you still keep that life change style, but at some point you up you carb intake just a bit. Or don't, that is up to you. But you never go back to ridiculous amount of carbs like the typical American diet has.

Everything I have read says this diet is not great for burst energy or overly training. However it is good for long and steady. So keep that in mind.
Old 05-15-18, 01:57 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by munkeyfish
Interesting fact that hit home : Your body does not need carbs, and it does not need them from food! If your body needs carbs for anything, it will make them itself. No need to eat them. Your body craves them, because we are programmed to eat them and they are cheap, easy fuel to use. And very easy to overdo and get stored as fat because the American diet is too carb rich. The science is still coming through, they are realizing carbs are really not that good for us overall. Kinda like how they use to think Tobacco was healthy and safe. We now know that is incorrect, and are learning that about carbs. I can go on, but I've gone on long enough for one post.
The conventional wisdom was for a long time that the more fat you eat, the fatter you get. It has also long been thought that fat is what causes heart disease and obesity, but many new theories which are becoming more and more accepted is that it's sugar which might be causing heart disease rather than fat. It certainly causes obesity. Many studies done decades ago were sponsored by the sugar industry and naturally they found that fat, not sugar, is bad for you. So the thinking was that "low fat" is the way to lose weight, while foods labeled "low fat" were and still are loaded with sugar. So while a food may be low fat, it's not going to help you lose weight with all that sugar in it. That's why people who have tried low fat diets in the past met with little success. Since sugar is a relatively recent addition to the human diet, not counting the natural sugars in fruit, our bodies are still trying to figure out how to process it all. And so much food we eat is loaded with sugar, and it's making us fat.

Fat, on the other hand, helps us feel full longer and many people have lost weight on a high fat/low carb diet which would be similar to if not the same thing as Keto. Of course, trans fats should be avoided because they have been shown to increase cholesterol levels in the bloodstream. But natural fats are OK.

Of course I don't know how much truth there is in all of this, but I for one have found it incredibly difficult to lose weight by cutting out the fat, and in the past on a low fat diet my fingernails became brittle to the point they kept developing cracks in them. But I really wasn't very successful in losing the weight until I learned to cut out sugar and carbs, and the results have been amazing.
Old 05-15-18, 10:58 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by munkeyfish
Keep in mind, the Keto Diet is just that, a diet. It is meant to get where you wantbto be weight wish then add back a small bit of carbs that will keep you at your goal. Yes, you still keep that life change style, but at some point you up you carb intake just a bit. Or don't, that is up to you. But you never go back to ridiculous amount of carbs like the typical American diet has.

Everything I have read says this diet is not great for burst energy or overly training. However it is good for long and steady. So keep that in mind.
This is one reason why some advocates of the diet recommend you abstain from training during the diet altogether. This is a particular limitation of the PSMF* (a form of Keto) diet. Which is defied as a crash diet not meant for long-term use.

*Protein Sparing Modified Fast
Old 05-17-18, 05:14 AM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I am still doing well on the Keto diet, still losing and found out some interesting things.
When I am just really craving a burger and fries I have it, and even croutons on a salad that meal. I do plan this out and keep carbs super low that day and the following day. I make sure I work out hard the following day. I then test my blood 24 hours after my burger and fries meal and I am back in Ketosis.
Like someone said, get the fire hot enough and you can have some carbs and it not de rail you. Now this only happens maybe once or twice a month but I do not feel deprived by allowing this.
Old 05-17-18, 08:19 AM
KraneXL

Cheat days are good, that's how we stay sane. And nobody said you can't indulge now and then and enjoy life. The point is to have a goal and stick to it. The problems is when you allow your eating habits to become wishy-washy. That's when all hell breaks loose. For me, even on recomp day my carbs are still relatively low.

In hope you're taking progress photos for moral support? In any event, good job!
Old 05-17-18, 08:59 AM
munkeyfish 

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That is the one thing I forgot.... taking pictures....

I do have a pic from last year around this time(May 28th) at one of my best friends wedding. I was in his wedding party and had to get fitted for a suit and all that, so I have measurements from then and I just saw my weight, 338. This morning I hit 268. So that is 70lbs in a year. But to be fair, I started changing my diet around January. Got going on the Keto Diet in late March. On February 22nd I was 302. And due to foot surgery and leg surgery, haven't rode much. And now weather has me held back. But looks pike I can get some ride time in today and for sure this weekend. We'll see how that effects the weight loss now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.