Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do bicycles generally come in so few colorways?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do bicycles generally come in so few colorways?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 12:59 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
The issue is the need to hold down the number of SKUs. Bicycles are low margin. Brands want economies of scale, and shops want few enough options to have a prayer of stocking them.

I've grown fond of neutral colors like black and grey. Then I add my own colors in the form of pedals, grips, bars, etc.
Old 10-25-18, 04:41 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokeage
I'm really trying to keep the bike costs under $1,000 so that I will still be able to afford some other things I need to buy for my kit. I haven't really seen any options in this department under ~$1,200 but if there's something I overlooked I'd be open to looking into it.
Salsa Journeyman, Cannondale Topstone Sora, Fuji Jari, Jamis Renegade, Raleigh Willard, Diamondback Haanjo, Vitus Substance, etc, etc, etc

Last edited by shoota; 10-25-18 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 10:32 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
If your willing to wait a little bit, and get a little higher end of a bike most manufactures let you "customize" a bike in a variety of colors that fits the paint design. Orbea offers the "My O" free of charge if you start with their mid level bikes. IE: the Avant-m30team-d-19 or the Orca M30-Pro 19.

I have not gone through the processes yet, but I do have a variety of color schemes saved on their site when I get the opportunity to get a new bike lol.
Old 10-25-18, 11:13 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts
very ugly grey bike. before:

after a bit of diy:

Old 10-25-18, 11:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
(in re:"colorway")
I actually learned this term a few years ago and now I use it whenever I can
The word seems to have been invented about 1940, and comes from art, fashion, advertising. "Livery" is way more common and older, and used for uniforms, aircraft, and race cars. The latter seems like it should have stuck.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-29-18, 03:03 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I hear you!! Such boring colors. Mine is a raspberry red now but I almost long for it to get scratched up so I can paint it a bike of many colors. LOL I actually took the plastic cover off a bike helmet and did the dip dye thing to it. I loved the effect. Wonder just how tough it would be to do the same with the bike frame..... Course since I only have the one bike it would cut into my riding time....
Old 10-29-18, 03:57 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
very ugly grey bike. before:

after a bit of diy:

Like the sculpture it rests on, it makes an interesting art piece but nothing I'd own.
Old 10-29-18, 07:23 PM
rickpaulos

Rossin

Rossin. Probably from the late 1980s. No doubt influenced by Cyndi Lauper's hair.
Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 10-30-18, 12:09 AM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
Powder Coating is your friend

I come from a background of competitive paintball. It's a flashy sport that enjoys it's bright colors as much as cyclists seem to do.

What confuses me about switching over to cycling is the extreme lack of color options when buying a bike of any quality. Whether you're getting a $500 bike or a $5000 bike you're probably only going to be offered 1-2 (MAYBE 3) options. Now that might make sense for professionally sponsored riders who most likely get custom wraps/paint to match a team or sponsor but I'm confused as to how this is justified for mid-range and "low-end" bikes.
To clarify, in paintball you're hard pressed to find a marker at any price point that isn't released in 5-10 new colorways every single year. These are from smaller companies, selling items of roughly the same value, and with what I am assuming is much less overhead while operating in a much smaller market.

In a market where everything "looks the same" you would think that companies would be doing everything in their power to differentiate from their competitors.
Is there something I'm missing or is this a common complaint shared by others in the industry?

Also, if you're going to make some ridiculous comment about how I shouldn't be worried about the color of my bike or paintball marker then just go ahead and hit the back button lol. I know it doesn't make me a better player/rider and you're not enlightening or impressing anyone with your wisdom rhetoric.
Granted I'm coming from the custom beach cruiser community but EVERY bike I've built or designed for a customer has always ended up at the powder room or paint shop. A road bike should never cost more than $250 for a proper coating & it gives you some time to take account of all your components, do some cleaning, make some changes/upgrades & other maintenance. For the custom crowd, it's just a necessity.

I keep Prismatic Powders in business.
Old 10-30-18, 12:15 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I bought my bike in slightly-neon orange with yellow decals... last year. The same bike for 2019 has a more Halloween shade. I ordered through REI and walked past a charcoal forest of Cannondales and Ghosts to pick it up

Old 10-30-18, 01:23 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I bought my bike in slightly-neon orange with yellow decals... last year. The same bike for 2019 has a more Halloween shade. I ordered through REI and walked past a charcoal forest of Cannondales and Ghosts to pick it up

Do you still have this bike?
Old 10-30-18, 07:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
The issue is the need to hold down the number of SKUs. Bicycles are low margin. Brands want economies of scale, and shops want few enough options to have a prayer of stocking them.

I've grown fond of neutral colors like black and grey. Then I add my own colors in the form of pedals, grips, bars, etc.

It's also specifically a matter of keeping the cost of the frame down. If the bike manufacturer is shooting for a particular price point for the entire bike, it's pretty obvious they'll find more people attracted to the quality of the components than the color of the frame, so color variety is where you'd cut corners first.

I have no doubt that multiple SKUs have distribution costs that would have to be recouped in the sale price, but multiple painting lines for the same frame has to increase production costs as well.
Old 10-30-18, 11:29 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by kuroba
@Smokeage If you wanna DIY there's the Spray.Bike paint which is made specifically for bikes. They're used by squid.bikes to make some really interesting paint schemes.
I just spent an hour on that site , and before I dive back in, just wanted to say thank you. So, thank you.
Old 10-30-18, 12:01 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
@Korina you're welcome! I love the Squid bikeS IG page, it's full of bright colorful inspiration for the next time I need to paint my bike (:
Old 10-30-18, 01:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Do you still have this bike?

still needs a mudhugger.

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-02-19, 10:48 AM
rickpaulos

We all know who said "You can have any color you want, so long as it's black". For retailers (LBS), you will get customers who, when given a choice of colors will want the one you don't have in stock and will not buy any. They will expect the LBS to get one "now" despite the much higher shipping cost for just 1 bike vs a truck load. My brother used to work for that Wisconsin company and he reported they monitored sales of each color and if a model didn't sell well in a particular color, they would switch to another mid season.

An earlier post mentioned the need to blend in. That is real everywhere. IMO, flashy bikes are more theft prone. I got a new yellow bike and it was stolen in just days despite being locked up where my previous grey bike was for years. And then there is Tom Justice, the bicycling 26 times bank robber who only got caught because he rode a distinctive bike to/from the heists.

Different SKU's means you can have different prices for different colors. wallyworld does just that for the Mongoose Beast. Why? Because they can.
Old 07-02-19, 12:19 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
black is a fine color, easy to touch up and isn't very offensive to most. If color is your thing pony up for custom paint. In general the color is the last thing I worry about when buying a bike. I want the stuff on it to be a priority then I find a color I can live with or even like. black usually fits the bill for me.

I have always wanted a white bike, I like the color. It was a struggle to find a frame from the brand I wanted to get a white frame. It was so worth the hunt though!
Old 07-02-19, 12:32 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
If it fits, consider the women's specific design. Usually a more interesting color palette.

Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 07-02-19, 04:43 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Two very fine painters now working would be velocolour.com in Toronto and velociao.com in Berlin. Paintwork and bike builds by Chris Howard of cycloretro.com in Melbourne. Check their galleries and see some paint.

Good paint costs money. The industry as a whole is struggling. Bean counters are to the fore. Customers are reliably boring and compliant with boring.
Old 07-02-19, 05:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
It's remarkable that an outfit like Ribble can build this into the regular way to order a bike (along with lots of component and wheel options etc), and the large companies can't. 4 finishes, 14 base frame colors, gradients, plus 3 accent color areas, etc..

Old 07-02-19, 08:48 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Looking at something like the Specialized Sirrus line, the shop only need stock a few models, as the frame geometry will be the same.

We just need Specialized to have more colours that the shop can order in for someone who has done a test ride on a black Sirrus and feels that a Sirrus works for them.
Old quotes FTW...as a Sirrus aficionado myself, it bothers me how many of the Sirrus models are black. Because at the end of the day, each black Sirrus model is still a unique model/paint scheme, be it due to the accent colors or what have you. So can't they just sub some of the black models out for other colors? It's like 50%+ of the Sirrus models are black, but nonetheless, that 50% is made up of basically all different black models anyway.
Old 07-02-19, 09:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
C,O.S.T. Cost ....want to pay a lot more? stocking multiple sizes in many colors is Expensive ..

buy it, strip it , pay some one to repaint it, then put it back together..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-02-19 at 09:28 PM.