Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why did seatpost sizes take so long to begin to standardize?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 09:32 AM
myrtlehandel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ripping into a new project, it dawned on me that I finally have two bikes with the same size seatpost for the first time in my life. It seems that the industry has more or less settled on four or five or so "standard" size seatposts, but I am curious why this took so long? Looking through parts websites, there are literally dozens of diameter options available, even individual models of seatposts it isn't unusual to see a dozen or more sizes.

Did this have to do with the tubesets used by the manufacturers? Is it just something that few upgrade, so there was no reason to? It seems that things like stem size, dropout width, handlebar clamp all rapidly standardized decades back, what is unique about the seatpost that it didn't follow that trend?
Old 12-13-18, 07:24 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Good question. I have a 70's bike built from 531 with a 26.4mm seat post. It was an absolute nightmare trying to find a half decent seat post for that. I'm not sure what the Brompton is - it doesn't really matter for that - but all the other bikes are 27.2, thank goodness.
Old 12-13-18, 08:00 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Based on my recent experience getting the correct seatpost for my Bianchi Sprint 76, this same question interests me. I think you've hit on a few reasons already, Probably down to the rapid advance in wall thickness and variations in frame tubing material (different grades of steel used) that they varied the seat post to match whatever seat tube they used at the time. It was probably considered less of a replaceable or upgrade-able part, and more of part of the bike's overall frame spec.
Old 12-13-18, 08:54 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Because way back, they standardized the outer diameter for lugs, not the inner for seat posts.
Old 12-13-18, 09:16 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by myrtlehandel
It seems that the industry has more or less settled on four or five or so "standard" size seatposts,...
You consider that standardized? I'd say "standardized" would mean interchangeable between bikes and brands. When I began riding back in the 1980s it seems there were only a few sizes. Now, not only are sizes not standard, neither is the shape of them. One of my bikes has an aero CF seat post that fits only on that model/brand bike. Which really isn't a bad thing, per se. I mean seat posts don't really wear out like bearings, chains, chainrings, or gear cassettes. So, you don't really have to worry about them much. But IMO, I think seatpost sizing has gone the opposite of standardizing.

Dan
Old 12-13-18, 11:49 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Because way back, they standardized the outer diameter for lugs, not the inner for seat posts.
this, basically. And if you go back far enough there was no ‘standards’ for lugs or frame tubes, because most bikes were of course completely hand built and you had very few ‘large’ companies. It was mostly small companies building completely proprietary machines. Also, from roughly the 1890s through the 1920s or so, there was so much experimentation and new designs and technology, that it would have been damn hard to standardise, especially across Europe, when each company and each nation was always claiming the ‘best bikes in the world.’ I will agree that it took way too long to even just narrow it down. But this actually has a lot to do with the big tubing companies. (Reynolds, Columbus, Vitus, etc) as much as the big lug makers like bocama, prugnant, Vagner, etc.)

in short, it’s just complicated. There’s no simple answer to the question.
Old 12-13-18, 11:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Also standardized for clamp-on components, such as front derailleurs, down-tube shift levers,and top-tube cable guides.
Old 12-13-18, 02:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OD minus 2 X Tube wall thickness, and what remains is the ID, inner diameter ..

Seat posts fit the ID of a tube, after perhaps reaming.. now still things are in flux, oversize seat tubes in low density metals
and carbon composites.. and those that are not even round..

some companies only make seat posts , not because everyone else is standardized, but in few sizes to lower their costs.

then one buys seat post sizing shims to adapt those few sizes of seat posts to a wide variety of seat rube ID ..

I happen to have 4 bikes using a shim sleeve between the seat post and the frame tubing.. it all works well..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-13-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 02:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

You consider that standardized? I'd say "standardized" would mean interchangeable between bikes and brands. When I began riding back in the 1980s it seems there were only a few sizes. Now, not only are sizes not standard, neither is the shape of them. One of my bikes has an aero CF seat post that fits only on that model/brand bike. Which really isn't a bad thing, per se. I mean seat posts don't really wear out like bearings, chains, chainrings, or gear cassettes. So, you don't really have to worry about them much. But IMO, I think seatpost sizing has gone the opposite of standardizing.

Dan
Can you rotate that post a touch to get better fit? Somethinkg I do on all my bikes.

Ben
Old 12-13-18, 02:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
not identical

By the way, some confusion Standard tube diameters are fractional *, but expressed in metric equivalencies..

* 1" 1.125" 1.25" and so forth said as 25.4, 28.6, 31.8 .. mm

Metric system being Napoleonic,
the French bike companies tried metric tubes , but lost so much market share they gave in , and went imperial with the rest,
so now those who bought older french bikes cannot fit newer components, because of the sizing disparity...

Even a 'standard' 27.2 seat post will not be spot on as 27.2000 but may be 27.15, 27.14, 27.216, and so forth...

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-13-18 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 02:44 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Can you rotate that post a touch to get better fit? Somethinkg I do on all my bikes.

Ben
No. It's like the one in this picture.

Dan
Old 12-13-18, 09:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I wish everything was just 27.2 and we could all be happy or at least I would. However nothing is really ever quite standard everything is always sort of all over the dang place. Call me old fashioned but I like my headsets ec34/ec34, my bottom brackets BSA threaded and my seatposts 27.2, by cracky! Though really it is mostly just the latter two I can reasonably deal with tapered steerer tubes and integrated bearings and also for the record thru-axles are cool with me but maybe keep the threading all the same?
Old 12-13-18, 09:31 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by myrtlehandel
It seems that things like stem size, dropout width, handlebar clamp all rapidly standardized decades back, what is unique about the seatpost that it didn't follow that trend?
Since decades ago my dropouts have been 130mm, 135mm, 140mm and 142mm. Handlebar clamp sizes across that same time have been 25.4, 31.8 and 35mm.

I'm not seeing the rapid standardization that you claim occurred decades ago.

What am I missing?
Old 12-13-18, 10:50 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
The posts on the Tandem are 1 1/8 so they can accept a handlebar stem. It doesn't bother me having weird sizes because it makes my parts less desirable to thieves. Half my bolt heads have to be drilled as it is.