Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 06-22-19, 08:45 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,427 Posts
Gym workout yesterday. Upper body featuring heavier weights on the last set.

I was going to hit some golf balls but my legs were too tired for the track.
Old 06-22-19, 08:55 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm asking about saving 5 minutes and you think I have time to read a whole book?

Seriously though, I'll add it to the long list of books I need to read.
Old 06-22-19, 06:39 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Did 100miles solo today; my first 100 in a few years. Felt good, no breaks except stop signs/lights only had two bottles but mostly felt fine and had about 1k calories (ride itself was about 3500kj). Power was steady around 200ish (avg 189 np 206 0.66 IF). Would like to be able to get to 0.7 IF for up to 150 but happy with the over 200 np. Oh speed was 19mph maybe I would have gotten 20 with aero wheels lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-22-19, 07:53 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
This was a strange week. For one thing, it was stupid hot, even for south Louisiana.

Wednesday was supposed to be my big climbing day. I got up at three and ate and got ready, did the two-hour drive to my climbing route and got out on the bike about seven. I ride a 34-mile loop which gives me ~1500 feet of elevation altogether and has a two-mile long climb at about 4%. For around here, that's pretty heavy. The plan was to do one loop, hitting all the climbs at ~105%, and then do repeats on the long climb at the same intensity to get the required 45 minutes. The first loop was fine. The first time up on the second lap was okay, hard but not "I can't do another one" hard. I rode back down and started up and two minutes into the repeat the numbers on the Garmin started falling, seemingly regardless of how hard I was pushing on the pedals. I decided to try again, drifted to the bottom and started up and the same thing happened. I tried a third time, switching from my usual 70-80 rpm climbing cadence to 85-95 rpm, same deal. At that point, I threw in the towel and rode back to the car.

It's rare that I don't successfully complete a workout. This one was hard but within my wheelhouse. Intellectually, I knew that this happens sometimes. Emotionally, I was somewhere between despondent and effin' pissed off. I spoke with my coach on the drive home, and we figured it was probably due to two nights of lousy sleep leading up to it plus having been on my feet almost nine hours at work the day before, with the heat contributing to it (heat index was 100).

Thursday was supposed to be 1:45 at an IF of .75, I came in at .74. Friday was 1:30 at an IF of .80 and I came in at .84.

Today was supposed to be a relatively easy group ride, 3-4 hours. An announcement went up on the local Facebook page for an 80-mile ride. I figured we'd do it in about four hours, 20 mph in a paceline, no problem. I showed up and it was me and two strong local guys. They had driven in together and decided to do 100 miles instead. We started out before sunrise and the heat index was 91. I ended up getting back in 4:35 moving time, I turned around early at one point so I only got 96 miles in. I felt relatively good, so whatever was bugging me Wednesday has apparently resolved itself. TSS target was 213, it turned out to be 277. Oops.

Tomorrow's ride is also supposed to be 3-4 hours but solo, so I'm going to aim for the short end and will still end up with >900 TSS for the week. CTL is 98, ATL is 122.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 06-23-19, 06:11 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I managed to fit 28mm tires on my Propel and do gravel with it. 3:15 and .72 IF

I made a loop that’s about 60/40 time gravel to road. Can ride it nonstop. So awesome for tempo, SS or whatever. About 45min per lap.

54mi and about 4200 ft. Just all up and down.

Was fun. Just so tired of entitlement dog culture. Tired of worrying off leash fido is going to suicide it right in front of me. Oh, my dog is so sweet, it can do wtf ever.
Old 06-23-19, 06:38 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I went out this morning planning on ~2:40 on the bike. Coach had wanted to end the week with my TSB between -12 and -20. It was -24 at the beginning of the ride. As I rode, my legs started really feeling yesterday's ride, so I started doing the math and realized that I could've stayed in bed and hit -12. That would've gone over like the proverbial turd in the punch bowl, but I did cut the ride to about 2:20 and ended up with 119 TSS. Consequently, my weekly TSS didn't break 900, just got to 885. CTL is 99, ATL is 122, total time on the bike was 15:27.

Off the bike tomorrow, and glad of it. I'm tired.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-23-19, 09:30 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Didn't sleep well last night but I did okay on the group ride being the 2nd one up the mountain. Wattage is way down, hopefully its from the lack of sleep (and not fueling my rides), we'll find out on Tuesday.

Down to 140, somewhere around 10% bf (calipers). Plan is to hover around 8%.
Old 06-24-19, 11:18 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Any suggestions for a 5 day block of free time? Wife and kids visiting grandparents and we're saving my time for our vacation.

I'm generally a low volume higher intensity person. Would I get any benefit from doing a week of however many base miles I can accumulate? Or is 5 days not long enough of a "camp" to be worth it?

Would you do every other day a really long ride and just a shorty the other two days? Long all 5?

Right now, I can pretty much do a pretty solid tempo and SS pace metric century without feeling bad at all.

I already checked the fondo and USAC calendar, and nothing worth me driving to in that time. I have to be home each night to shut the farm animals in for the evening. So I can't stay overnight. So that's out.

I thought about another Mitchell trip for a long day, but that's probably more fatigue getting up early and driving 6 hours total in a day than I'd get benefit of training and climbing fun.

So..........what would you do with the time?
Old 06-24-19, 07:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,573 Posts
Ride long. as much as you think you can handle. if you feel good in the second half of the week, hit it hard on the climbs.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-24-19, 08:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Rented bikes this afternoon with my son in Denali NP. Not many trails to ride, but afterward, I uploaded Strava and I was no. 3 on one segment. Shoot, if I knew that I was so close I would have sent Lucas up again with my phone.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-25-19, 06:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
BTS - There are closer climbs you can do than Mitchell.
Old 06-25-19, 07:26 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
BTS - There are closer climbs you can do than Mitchell.
It's been years since I was down there, but I remember we drove from Raleigh to do some climbing when I was at NC State. I think we made a day of Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock area.

You can make yourself a pretty hilly route out there with some decent climbs. They're not long, low grade climbs that go on for 20 miles like Mitchell, but still a climb, with nice prominence and good views at the top.

On another (semi-related) note, I just love how pros are just doing a completely different sport than us (most of anyway) mortals. The Mt Mitchell strava leaderboard has Phil Gaimon at the top, 1 hour 19 minutes at 16.1 mph (a ridiculous 385W for over an hour). A very distant second place is John Delong, who I'm sure is still a completely absolute beast, doing it at 1 hour 32 minutes, 13.8 mph, and a still very, very impressive 315W.

And that was Phil in 2017, not even an actual in his prime pro anymore, but retired and probably not peaking or going at race pace.

https://www.strava.com/segments/695873
Old 06-25-19, 08:14 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
It looks like Phil only did Mt. Mitchell on that day.

Many of those other guys - including No. 2 on the list - did the Assault on Mount Mitchell, meaning they had 80 miles in their legs before they hit the base of the climb.

And yes, there is plenty of great climbing north of Winston.
Old 06-25-19, 09:49 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Any suggestions for a 5 day block of free time? Wife and kids visiting grandparents and we're saving my time for our vacation.

I'm generally a low volume higher intensity person. Would I get any benefit from doing a week of however many base miles I can accumulate? Or is 5 days not long enough of a "camp" to be worth it?

Would you do every other day a really long ride and just a shorty the other two days? Long all 5?

Right now, I can pretty much do a pretty solid tempo and SS pace metric century without feeling bad at all.

I already checked the fondo and USAC calendar, and nothing worth me driving to in that time. I have to be home each night to shut the farm animals in for the evening. So I can't stay overnight. So that's out.

I thought about another Mitchell trip for a long day, but that's probably more fatigue getting up early and driving 6 hours total in a day than I'd get benefit of training and climbing fun.

So..........what would you do with the time?
Lots of volume and just enough intensity to justify it. Probably 2 hard days, 1 easy, 2 hard (if your body can handle it).
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 06-25-19, 09:55 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Long gym workout last night. Legs / upper body. Did the one leg jumps.
Old 06-25-19, 10:18 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
It looks like Phil only did Mt. Mitchell on that day.

Many of those other guys - including No. 2 on the list - did the Assault on Mount Mitchell, meaning they had 80 miles in their legs before they hit the base of the climb.

And yes, there is plenty of great climbing north of Winston.
Fair enough, good point. I never did do the Assault (because I was never in good enough shape, honestly).
Old 06-25-19, 03:04 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dabbling with Intermittent Fasting. Heard a pro talk about it on a podcast.

(Paraphrased)
"Amateurs haven't got a chance against us pros. Not in a 5+ hour race. They'll have nothing left while we haven't even started working hard yet.
This is because we're fat adapted, we save the carbs for the end of the race. Amateurs use it all up.
Even if they've got a higher w/kg or sprint power, we're going to win because we're used to riding all day."

I know this isn't 100% accurate or applicable to everyone, but his description of an amateur is pretty much me in a nutshell.
I can hang all day, but am usually just hovering a shade below my limit. When the pace increases at the end, I'm out the back. Even little surges are too much and I can't follow. It's not a bonk or lack of power, I've just got no fuel left. Even when I consciously increase intake on the bike. It's like once 2 hours hits, my body just doesn't have anything left.

I've been doing a 20 hour fast followed by a 4 hour fueling window (usually 5pm - 9pm). During which I eat a normal dinner that is largely gluten free (wife requirement), heavy veggies, some meat/fat, minimal carbs (but not zero). I also throw in some extra food too. Bananas, other fruit, granola bars, craisins, low or zero sugar "ice cream" bars, etc.
On non-fasting days I just eat like a normal health conscious human.

First week was two days. Second week was three days. Third week (this week) I'm planning to fast Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Riding 60-90 minutes at Z2 while fasted, hoping to train my body to use my ample fat stores for fuel when doing low(er) intensity work. Based on my race this past Saturday (report posted in the Racing Story thread), initial results are positive.

Stats so far:
weight: 155.1 -> 151.2 (lbs)
bodyfat: 17% -> 15.4% (Per garmin smart scale)
I expect some of this is just my bowels not being constantly full of food. I drink a ton of water anyway (120+ oz/day) so this isn't water loss.

I know this isn't sustainable and don't expect this rate to continue for very long. I don't want to end up sacrificing power or muscle mass, so if either of those start to suffer, I'll cut back to three fasting days a week and see how that goes.

Thoughts?
Old 06-25-19, 03:42 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

IMO, it is the size of the aerobic engine that matters. For a UCI grand tour pro, they can sit in the peloton in recovery or low z2. At that aerobic level, they are not burning much glycogen. And they ride a lot at that power level because if they rode a lot at higher power, they would run out of glycogen. We all have the about the same amount of glycogen storage.

I think it is true that bonk / fasting rides can improve fat utilization to an extent but not to turn a 300 watt FPT racer into a 400 watt racer. Professional athletes in general are genetic freaks and have the combination of genetic attributes that coupled with training allows them to compete as a professional in sports. If hard training was the answer to achieving a very high level of proficiency in sport, we would all be olympians.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-25-19, 03:53 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Agreed, it's the aerobic engine. I think many racers do too much intensity and don't focus on the lower end aerobic base enough. Even 2x20s imo are typically done too hard by many (probably because of skewed FTP due to 20 minute tests). It shifts the balance of where the power comes from. If you've developed the anaerobic component, you can hit a good 20 minute power and think you're fit, but if two riders can do 300w for 20m, but rider a develops 80% of it aerobically and rider b develops 65% of it aerobically, then rider a will have a huge advantage at the end of a long race even though their FTP might test "the same." Per my understanding, that advantage even applies to shorter events like crits, because I believe some of the same aerobic components are also responsible for "recharging" your sprint, so if you're maxed out aerobically then you'll be hitting smaller numbers at the end of a crit than you would with a bigger aerobic base.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 06-25-19, 07:22 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Agreed, it's the aerobic engine. I think many racers do too much intensity and don't focus on the lower end aerobic base enough. Even 2x20s imo are typically done too hard by many (probably because of skewed FTP due to 20 minute tests). It shifts the balance of where the power comes from. If you've developed the anaerobic component, you can hit a good 20 minute power and think you're fit, but if two riders can do 300w for 20m, but rider a develops 80% of it aerobically and rider b develops 65% of it aerobically, then rider a will have a huge advantage at the end of a long race even though their FTP might test "the same." Per my understanding, that advantage even applies to shorter events like crits, because I believe some of the same aerobic components are also responsible for "recharging" your sprint, so if you're maxed out aerobically then you'll be hitting smaller numbers at the end of a crit than you would with a bigger aerobic base.
This is pretty much exactly what I'm after/talking about.

I used to do hard intervals twice a week, a _hard_ group ride on Wednesdays, and a long Saturday that usually ended with a hammerfest for the last 5-10 miles.
So four hard days a week, rest day, and two "easy" days. I was good at very short anaerobic efforts, but anything longer than say 5 minutes was/is terrible.

Switching to four fasted/endurance/aerobic rides, keeping the Wednesday/Saturday hard rides, and one rest day is my plan.
Really trying to focus on the aerobic base for the next several months. I need to undo the 5+ years of programming myself to turn on the glycogen faucet every time I threw a leg over the top tube.
Old 06-25-19, 09:40 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,573 Posts
Sounds like you need to do some long rides!
Old 06-26-19, 06:29 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by wktmeow
As a lower time budget rider, I can't express enough how true the above post is.

Due to my time constraints, the time budget is spent on intensity. Whether that's doing the Z4 stuff too high, or power intervals, or doing every longer ride about as has hard as you can for the duration of the longer ride.

I feel like how it can come into play is that the rider with a bigger aerobic contribution to their VO2 will be able to "recover" better after hard efforts in a tough situation. They can hit 350 for two minutes then bring the HR back down while still doing like 230w. The person with a lower aerobic contribution of VO2 can also do the 350 for two minutes, but I feel like they (or me) will have a harder time recovering at 230w or something afterwards. The HR will come down much slower, or maybe not at all.

I can do fine with this on the hammer rides, as there's a big contingent of "A-group clubbies" versus racers. So even a time budgeted racer will shine. In a race, I have a harder time with it among those folks with more aerobic hours in the engine.
Old 06-26-19, 06:35 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Back to the "did you ride?" part. 1x20, 1x10, 2x5 at lunch. Then rode almost two hours of hard tempo and some SS again on the group ride night. I had a bad day at work and my mind wasn't in it. I didn't want to not have my head in it in a fast moving group, so snuck over to do some gravel/road mix. Nearly 200 TSS on the day.

I'm fatigued. The TSB is pretty negative again and the CTL is record high. Also the ATL is like 70ish, which is really high for me.

The Z4 contribution to all that is just almost silly, for me. I track them separate, and it's off the charts from anywhere it has ever been.

Next week will do my little "base" stuff. Take some time off and go easy for the week after. Then go into the high power stuff again.

I really think the Cycleops trainer with a Powertap on it is on the fritz in the work gym. Near the end of that 20, 10, 5, 5, I got out of saddle a few times.....and my HR went appreciably down and the RPE went down. That's the total opposite of what should occur. Makes me think the speed or cadence or whatever the meter uses is not reading well at higher cadences or speeds or something. I need to check on that.
Old 06-26-19, 07:52 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i guess i don't know exactly what the extent of your time constraints are, but if you're focused you can build pretty amazing aerobic fitness on 8-10hrs a week if you're focused. obviously if you're a p12 doing 80+ mile road races this goes out the window to a certain extent but for sub three hour races you really don't need a ton of time, you just need to be more efficient.
Old 06-26-19, 08:22 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike868y
i guess i don't know exactly what the extent of your time constraints are, but if you're focused you can build pretty amazing aerobic fitness on 8-10hrs a week if you're focused. obviously if you're a p12 doing 80+ mile road races this goes out the window to a certain extent but for sub three hour races you really don't need a ton of time, you just need to be more efficient.
Not sure if this is directed at me, but I'm answering anyway.

Time constraints vary. I can ride 1-2 hours during work every business day. They can't always be intervals because they're during lunch and/or boring conference calls where I sometimes need to be able to pause and respond.
I have a 2-3 hour hard Wednesday group ride. So I usually don't do a 'workout' that day. (Summer months, winter it's trainer work every day)
If life lets me make the Saturday group ride, it's 3ish hours. If not, I'll usually get 1-2 hours during the kid's naptime.
Usually if I ride Saturday, I don't ride Sunday, but sometimes I do, same 1-2 hours during naptime.

Altogether best case: 16 hours/week (this never happens)
Altogether usual case: 7 hours/week

If I really make an effort: 10 hours/week is doable but it's emotionally taxing trying to fit it in while meeting all of my work/family/life obligations.

As I said before, I've been terrible with those 7 hours in the past. WAY too much intensity. If some intensity was good, then lots of intensity is better? Right? No.
I'm doing a full reset. Focussing on the aerobic base for a while. I'm okay with losing some top-end for now, I'll work to bring that back later.

A coach might help me make better use of my time, and when I had one, they did. But right now I'm not racing, so the monthly expense isn't really worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.