Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help Me Dress For Winter

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help Me Dress For Winter

Old 08-25-19, 06:47 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Help Me Dress For Winter

New to cycling clothes buying. I have my summer stuff but my LBS's stock either little or no clothing so I can't try things on and need to order online. Colder weather is coming and I have a great kit for winter hiking and camping but that is all loose and baggy stuff. While looking online I don't see a variety of clothes that I would think would be good for layering. Some questions:

1. What kinds of tops do you wear, i.e., do you layer or just go with long sleeve jersey and jacket?
2. Are jackets cut so they fit over jerseys or do you need to go a size higher on the outer layer?
3. Are tights enough alone? Do you need to get different ones for different conditions?
4. Should I take advantage of labor day sales or will there always be sales on clothing?

I live in SC so the worst weather will only be in the 40's and wet and most times will be in the 50's.

Thanks
Old 08-25-19, 07:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Rather than buying a long sleeve cycling jersey, I wear lightweight polypro tops under a short sleeved cycling jersey. It adds a second layer against the torso. That’s good to 55 and I’ll wear non insulated tights with that, plus polypro glove liners under summer short fingers gloves.

If windy I’ll wear a very light wind jacket, cycling specific, I’ve used Pearl Izumi and EDIT: Canari, or some such, cheap stuff from online. It’s not sized larger as they assume it’s an outer layer.

If below 50 I might go to lightly insulated tights, the above torso plus wind jacket, I’ll add a light polypro skull cap and will wear a pair of long fingered cycling gloves designed for fall/spring. Sometimes and if it looks like it’ll warm up I’ll wear my lightly insulated leg warmers instead of tights.

Below 45 and I’m adding neoprene booties. I have a really old set from Performance in their XXL size that fit over my sizes 47 SPD lugged sole shoes. Not sure what I’ll replace them with, as nobody makes that large a size these days.

If it calls for drizzle or is below 35 I’ll switch to a GoreTex cycling jacket that’s a heavier fabric then my light jacket and is warmer.

Take advantage of whatever sales are available. I once added up the cost of all the clothing I was wearing and at $450 it’s more than some people pay for their bikes !, but then the clothing actually lets me enjoy riding in the cold where their bikes are in the garage till May.

Last edited by Steve B.; 08-25-19 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 07:32 AM
gary10509

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 1, 2014 Trek 7.4 FX, 2010 Giant Defy 3, 1984 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everybody's different. The best thing I've done is develop a little spreadsheet of how I dress at various temperatures and conditions to fine tune what MY body needs to be comfortable. If I over/under dress, I record the info and adjust next time until I get it dialed in. Now, if I'm heading out and it's 48 and overcast, with a 10 mph wind, I know exactly what I need.
Old 08-25-19, 07:38 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I’ll generally ride down to about freezing, as long as the weather is otherwise decent. I’m in central NC, so winters are relatively benign. I went out in 25 degrees once and got about a half- mile before I got sense and turned around. If I have to wrap up like the Michelin Man, there’s not a lot of pleasure in the process. My cold weather kit comprises some temperature-dependent combination of two short-sleeved jerseys, arm warmers, fingered gloves, a neck gaiter, bib shorts or heavy-ish bib knicks, heavy-ish tights, socks, shoes, shoe covers. I’ll carry a waterproof in my pocket, but that’s a last resort to cut the wind - in my experience, most “waterproofs” are anything but

Last edited by Litespud; 08-25-19 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-25-19, 07:56 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Check out the Winter Cycling forum; https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/

Keep in mind, don't over dress. In short order you will be sweating, then cold.
Old 08-25-19, 08:52 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I live in NE Tennessee and our weather is a bit cooler than you down in S.C.
I live by base layers and windbreakers.
We have Academy sports here and I buy their BCG brand base and fleece layers.
In the worst of conditions, I have Bontrager riding pants that are fleece and windproof. They've kept me warm in 13 degree tamps.
The worst thin is my hands. Even the heaviest wind protecting gloves don;t help much.

When it is in the teens and the roads are dry, I have to be "That guy".
Old 08-25-19, 08:54 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
My mom always chooses and buys my clothes.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-25-19, 09:22 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I layer up and use regular non-cycling clothes and winter boots with platform pedals...
Old 08-25-19, 12:15 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Good base layer, wind protection, hat or skull cap, shoes that are a size bigger/wider (for base layer and thick socks), thin gloves with thicker ones and body temperature control. Nothing worse than going out fast and getting wet with sweat and then getting cold. Also still need to stay fueled/hydrated to keep the body working properly.
Old 08-25-19, 12:36 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't bike in the dead of winter, usually not when temps are below 50 degrees F. So when the air is a bit crisp outside, instead of my normal summer cycling gear of shorts, jersey or wicking workout shirt, I wear a cotton T-shirt, workout pants, and a cycling jacket which is basically just a windbreaker. I also got one of those tubular scarves which really holds the heat in. Before I used it I was always fairly chilly on my rides, but since using it I've noticed a huge difference in keeping warm.
Old 08-25-19, 01:15 PM
spinconn

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Sorry, I should have put this in the winter cycling forum, didn't see that. Still, this has all been very helpful and I very much appreciate it.

Time now to go to Competitive Cycling and remove about half the stuff I put in my cart.
Old 08-25-19, 01:51 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I took my cues from the Dutch: they layer.... spandex to wick away moisture to a keeper layer (cotton/wool) to a wick away, synthetic upper. Being in Atlanta, the temps should be similar between you and I.

I start with my summer kit: bike jersey, fingerless gloves, and shorts. As it gets a little colder, a light reflective jacket. A little colder (arms and legs don't warm quickly), I add a pair of bike leggings (the gortex I scored at a summer sale are tops!) and wear a light lycra jacket with thumb holes (common thrift store item) between the jersey and reflective jacket. Colder still, switching to full fingered bike gloves. All this time I am in ankle, waterproof boots and cotton socks. Around freezing, and slightly below, heavier mid layer jacket, full length exercise tights and a second pair of socks.

Neck and above: I have a wicking towel I can wrap my neck and tuck inside jersey/jacket... a gaiter if I know I will need it all the trip, and a thin but warm skull cap. When coldest, the gaiter-cap combo covers all but my eyes.

All seasons I wear a pair of light Bangerz ski goggles....

I think that covers it....
Old 08-25-19, 03:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
Sorry, I should have put this in the winter cycling forum, didn't see that. Still, this has all been very helpful and I very much appreciate it.

Time now to go to Competitive Cycling and remove about half the stuff I put in my cart.
REI is having a Labor day sale, they have all sorts of clothing on the Outlet, plus a 20% off coupon. As well a Canari very light weight cycling jacket is $30. I wear this jacket all the time

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...ke-jacket-mens

There's a code - "LABORDAY19" for 20% off one Outlet item.

Last edited by Steve B.; 08-25-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 04:10 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Made the mistake of buying a big heavy jacket 1st year and sweated to bits after the 1st 2 miles ... bought one of these after that
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cyc...et-teal-orange

It's windproof at the front which is the biggest killer when it's cold and the underneath of the arms and back are totally breathable ... I wear a long sleeve base layer and if it's really cold a t-shirt as well and ride at 1/2 degrees like that and it's plenty warm enough.

The harder bits to get right are your hands / feet.
Old 08-25-19, 08:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
It was in the forties a couple weeks ago in the morning. I threw a windbreaker on over my short sleeve shirt for the morning commute. Shorts and my Keen cycle sandals with socks.
Old 08-26-19, 04:25 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Some tips I made a video about last year.

Old 08-26-19, 07:21 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
New to cycling clothes buying. I have my summer stuff but my LBS's stock either little or no clothing so I can't try things on and need to order online. Colder weather is coming and I have a great kit for winter hiking and camping but that is all loose and baggy stuff. While looking online I don't see a variety of clothes that I would think would be good for layering. Some questions:

1. What kinds of tops do you wear, i.e., do you layer or just go with long sleeve jersey and jacket?
Usually race fit long sleeve thermal jerseys (Voler or Verge) with a race fit Louis Garneau speedzone wind shell. Together they're comfortable down to 40 degrees. If it warms up, the jersey lets enough air through it's comfortable at 60 degrees when the sun is higher. When it gets colder I add a thermal jacket or Voler race fit thermal base layer. You want everything snug so the air is trapped next to you, like water in a wet suit.

2. Are jackets cut so they fit over jerseys or do you need to go a size higher on the outer layer?
They're sized normally. Most are baggy which makes them less warm and lets them flap annoyingly.

3. Are tights enough alone?
Yes, although I wear ones without chamois over my summer shorts so the pads are clean without me doing laundry frequently or owning 6 pairs of tights I wear three months out of the year.

Do you need to get different ones for different conditions?
When it's only a little cool I use leg warmers instead.

4. Should I take advantage of labor day sales or will there always be sales on clothing?
Spring is a better time, but yes shop on sale.

Don't forget the shoe covers, especially in wet weather. Cold, wet feet are miserable.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-27-19 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 08:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
My mom always chooses and buys my clothes.
Could you ask Mrs. Bates to help the OP?
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-27-19, 03:36 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Oh yeah, as far as gloves are concerned, when it's cold out I leave my fingerless bike gloves at home and instead wear cotton work gloves. I probably ought to find some full-fingered bike gloves, but until I do, the cotton ones work OK.